599GTB ride quality question | FerrariChat

599GTB ride quality question

Discussion in '612/599' started by woody byrd, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I am an old time car guy in NC, and currently enjoying my 18th Ferrari. I just recently bought a 2007 from the Ferrari Dealer in Arizona, because I owned one seven years ago and just loved it. This car had it's services up to date, has 12,250 miles and presents itself as new condition. Since owning the first car I have had a new F12, 458, and currently 488. The ride in this cars seems very hard and brittle. I have no memory of my old car being like this, and wonder if I have gotten use to the modern ride quality, or do I have a suspension problem. There is an entire tread on 599 Shocks issues. What do you recommend is the best way to decide if I have a problem with these few miles, or just old technology?

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Does the car have Pirellis? I found that the switch to Michelin tires did wonders for the ride quality and handling of my 599. The Pirelli tires seem to get hard and lose their stick with time.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Yes, I do have Pirelli P Zero. I will keep it in mind, thank you very much.

4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    My pleasure:)

5. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    I'm coming from a gtr and I find the ride to be rather quiet and smooth. If you are comparing it to the f12 ... well it might be older technology. Why not just take it to a ferrari mechanic and have them go over the suspension. If you need shocks shoot me a pm. I got oem for way less than the dealship.

6. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Do you rebuild them?

7. woody byrd

Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Thanks for info.. I'm not sure how to send you a pm with this new format, but would you please send me the details on the shocks to [email protected]

8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Yes, I am experiencing the same issue and have been told it's due to my tires.

Do a simple check of your suspension by pushing down on each edge.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

9. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    I wound up buying from eurospares. They are brand new and oem. They have the same ferrari partnumber. The cost is like 1250-1500 depending on dollar conversion rate. Was a bit of a pain as when they got to USA I had then to pay the taxes but if took awhile to get it straightened out. All in all it just delayed me alittle in getting them. The parts fit perfect and my car threwno codes. The steering wheel still changed the setting with out issue. Good luck

10. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Can you tell the age? Check the 4 number date code (first two are month last two are year)- are they original to the car? If they are 8-10 years old, I would start with new tires (they would be needed due to age anyway so not wasted money if you do need a shock and/or bushing re- fresh!)

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When I had a 599, I switched from the OEM Pirellis to the then new Michelin Pilot Supersports K1 and the ride quality improvement was a real surprise. The brittleness was not completely eliminated, but it was easily cut down by a large amount. If your tires are mostly worn, this would be a sensible and simple improvement. Also the MPSS grip level is at another level from the Pirelli and that means you can enjoy more forward momentum more of the time. :)