5xWDC the GREATEST OF ALL TIME? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

5xWDC the GREATEST OF ALL TIME?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ATBNM3, Nov 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

After winning his 5th WDC and taking record after record has Lewis The Hammer Hamilton is he the GOA

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Jackie Steawart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nelson Piquet, Fernando Alonso, Niki Lauda, Ross Brawn, etc., they all have acknowledged that Hamilton is one of the greatests.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, I just prefer to reason over facts.

william, ATBNM3, Mark(study) and 4 others like this.
  2. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    This is laughable. Anyone who knows anything about F1, actually lets make that Grand Prix history can see beyond blind love of one team or hatred of one driver and see that LCH is unquestionably one of the greatest talents ever to be in F1 along with the likes of Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Caraciola. As to GOAT? That is too subjective to ever have 100% agreement. Also, a who's who of past and present WDC's, team owners, managers, engineers, designers etc. all say he's up there with the best. If you know more about F1 car than that brain trust then I suggest you start raising venture capital to buy Williams and prove it.

Edit It looks like Flavio_C proved my point in a far more elegant and concise manner.

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well, Nelson as always said he believes Seb is currently the best driver...so, so much for your theory....Niki hired him, and he basicly works for his team, so obviously not the most reliable source...Stewart as criticized him many times, Alonso must say he's the ebst, otherwise he would look badly in the picture since he was beaten by him in the same car, Ross also worked for the team, and now works for liberty media, so obviously will say that, but ask him between Michael and Elton and you will see the ansewr, lololo, so sorry but your facts are as good as elton dressing code.

Jakuzzi, fil and daytona355 like this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Please keep on laughing, if you take the time to look at the pool above you will find there are a lot more people laughing on the other side.

fil and daytona355 like this.
  5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ermm This quote sprung to mind :
    “You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe”
    ― Carl Sagan

However personally I try not to fly in the face of common sense.

cairns, ATBNM3 and ktu like this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Truer words were never spoken!
    Ps. and i bet he didn't knew about all the BILIEBERS!!

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Footnote : I support Ferrari, I have one, and I know Lewis is a awesome great championship winning driver. ;)

william, ATBNM3, Mark(study) and 2 others like this.
  8. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I was hoping you would come up with better excuses than this... weak, just weak. Delete this and try harder please

9. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

No excuses. Nobody needs to make excuses on anyone elses behalf, especially racing drivers :D

The old boy still put it on pole in Monaco, the most challenging of season, and developed the Merc with Brawn very nicely, all ready for Hamilton to step into. Better productivity than when Mansell came out of retirement.

I like Hamilton's achievements so far, but he's had a pretty easy ride in Mercedes Benz World, despite the media hyperbole of coming from da hood in Stevenage.
    His smooth ride is continuing with Bottas.

If worshipping Hamilton makes you happy that's great :)

Sharknose, fil, sammysaber and 6 others like this.
  10. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Same here

11. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I thought you mentioned Rosberg challenging Ham earlier? Now you say he had it easy? which is it? Again Rosberg beat Schumi 3 years strait.
    If hating Hamilton makes you happy that's great

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Speak for yourself. I'm not laughing.

I voted "no" because I don't think he's there yet and it is difficult to objectively compare different eras. When comparing the best drivers of different eras, it's a subjective call as to who was greater.

If/when he gets to 7 titles, it's a subjective call between him and Schumacher. If/when he gets to 8, it'd be difficult to argue that Hamilton isn't the best we've seen in the sport so far.

All the best,
    Andrew.

tifoso2728, cairns, jcurry and 3 others like this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Andrew, i've said several times that the number pf titles and wins is totally irrelevent to me in order to determine a drivers greatness.
    I don't consider Michael the best of all times and Hamilton is very far from having his ability!
    I can pick a couple of races when i saw elton do something that really stands out, on the other hand there are several drivers were i can name many races when they really did something amazing.
    The story that the best drivers always end up in the best cars is Bs and i could give you several examples of this.
    I racall for example that in 92(if i'm not mistaken) , f3000 was disputed between Pedro lamy and Olivier Panis, with David Coulthard a distant third.....Pedro was driving an older model, still he was clearly the best driver...he lost one race because he confused the last lap with the previous one and slowed down before the race ended! he took it to the wire but Panis managed to take the title. anyway, Panis was French so he got a place in Ligier, Dc was british, so he got a place in Williams, Pedro was Portuguese and had no money, so he got a place in a decadent lotus....
    In 1990, Alesi was coveted by the top teams, he was taken by Ferrari, who was probably the best team at the time, only to fall back after Alesi signed, he then changed to Benetton, the champions..but they made a crappy car, and so, he never had at his disposal a truly competitive car, despite being in the best teams. This just goes to show that luck takes a much bigger part in the game then many like to admit. You have to be super talented, but that's not always enough. Using hamilton statistics to proclaim him a GOAT and forgettin the conditions in wich he achieved his fabulous score is ridiculous imo.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Hamilton had the stability and relative ease of Mercedes support since day 1
    He's had some good challenges with Rosberg which was great viewing

Why would anyone want to hate a racing driver ?
    They all have positive and negative traits. That's life :)

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are 7,700,000,000 people on planet Earth, only 1 person on the planet has more World Drivers Titles then Lewis Hamilton and no one on the planet has more poles. Lewis is in the top .00000000025974026% of drivers in the world. Only hardcore Ferrari fans, the team he beat to win those 5 titles, could find ways to twist, lawyer-ball, and nitpick why Lewis isn't an all-time great in the sport. ;)

16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I will disagree, many drivers will tell you winning isn't easy. Ham won his 1st championship on the last corner on the last lap of the last race of the year! Some of his latest championships with Rosberg came down to the last race. For the last 2 years, Ham was behind Vettel in the points first part of the season. So nothing was "given " to him.
    I apologize for mentioning you may have hated Hamilton, its good to know you don't. I as well don't "hate" any driver, whether past or present.

william, cairns and ATBNM3 like this.
  17. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    You answered the question in bold yourself mate - the topic asks if he is The GOAT, - Hamilton is not the GOAT and someone else is as you correctly state above.

Best,
    Sammy

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Who said anything about "given" ??

Lewis has received the strongest support from Mercedes Benz since day 1. Building upon such a stable and competitive platform is about as good as it gets.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Once again you fall on the mistake that statistics are the true measure of a driver's greatness...they aren't.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Since you don't use statistics, can you please relate that actual specifics that you use to measure greatness in motor racing? And also give the names of who you feel are the greatest drivers and relate your choices to your metrics.

ktu and ATBNM3 like this.
  21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sure, i always believed that not all of us have the same interest in the sport, and probably not all of us apreciate the same skills on a driver, hence so many people root for so many different drivers, although i believe they are separated in 2 big groups, the ones that support the divers that drive for the favourite team, and the ones who support a driver because of his nationality. I can be put in the first group, although this doesn't necessarily mean i will like every Ferrari driver and i will dislike all the others.
    No, straight to your question. The one thing i use to measure a drivers greatness is very simple, it's called talent! I watch them race and that's all. Sheer speed, on a single lap and during the race, the ability to drive in the wet, the ability to brake later than other, and find overtaking opportunities, skills to defend a position in an inferior car, how good they are at the start, if they are able to gain places frequently, how good they are at one to one batles, and if they can keep it clean, how brave they are...this are the first things i look for on a driver...then come others like the drivers personality, how good he is in motivating a team and getting everyone behind him, how good he is at developing the car, etc.....racing is suppose to be entertaining, so i wan't to be entertained, so i admire a spectacular driver, whose skills are above his peers, if he wins or loses is secondary to me because most of the time that depends on the machinery he has at his disposal.
    This being said and as many here know, Gilles Villeneuve is to me the greatest driver of all times, simply because i never saw another that could display such a level of talent so fequently. usualy i can pick a handfull of outstanding races from a great driver during his career, but in Gilles case, they come so often than it's harder to find the ones were he didn't do something extraordinary! He was the fastes driver of his time, the most spectacular, the one with the most incredible starts in f.1 history, by far the most talented driver in the wet and his bravery was beyond anyone else's (i think maybe Ronnie could be there too), his skill to overtake anywere at any time was just mindblowing, in short and as Lafitte once said"Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us," and "I know that no human being can do a miracle. Nobody commands magical properties, but Gilles made you wonder. He was that quick."I must also add that Gilles was regarded as one of the most honest and correct drivers on track even if the hardest of them all.
    After Gilles there are some other i fell are true greats, unfortunatly i didn't saw many of them race, What Fangio did at the Nurburgring certainly puts him up there, the fact that Stirling Moss, by far the best driver of his time (after Fangio retired) said that he could not match Fangio on an f.1 is good enough for me.
    Michael Shumacher is another genious, i think he was the best at race pace, he would do the laps relentlessly at the same speed, if Ross asked him a certain time he would just do it, he was also very, very good in the wet, for sure very brave, one of the greatest team motivaters i ever saw, and always, always defended the team, never hear a bad word coming from his mouth when they screwd up..of course he had that bad habit of not knowing when too much was too much, and this led to some very repreensive atittudes, wich is why he was never trully one of my favourires but, in terms of talent he certainly is amongst the best.
    Clark is also one of my favourites, although not that spectacular, he was so fast..sure he was driving the fastest car, but i believe he was still the best in his day.
    There are 2 driver i have in very high estime althoug i regonize are to as good as the very best, becaus ethey were lacking a ltle something. Peterson and Alesi. Alesi is my second favourite driver, simply because he was the one that reminded me of Gille sthe most. Amazing car control, superb in the wet (for me better than Michael an Senna), great starter, very, very brave, one of the latest late breakers, very good in one to one combat, very fast in one lap..i thin he had it all..except for teh acr of course. Ronnie was similar, an unbelievable talent but everyone said he was just helpless at setting up a car, because he was so good that he would drive anything good or bad, they would change teh car and he would do the same times with it, lololo.
    Ayrton was certainly one of the greats but i never liked him..he had the speed, bravery, car control, all, very similar to Michael but i think Michael had better race pace worked harder and was much stronger...senna always arrived completly exausted at the end of teh race while Michael looked like he was ready to start another one!.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    It does'nt matter who he pics, I'm gonna still believe Alonso, Rosberg ,Brawn, Lauda etc. instead.

kraftwerk and ATBNM3 like this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    You can't affirm for sure who is the GOAT: Schumacher, Hamilton, Senna, Fangio... But saying Hamilton is not one of the GOATs is absurd.

24. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Not recognizing Hamilton's talent is even more ridiculous. Especially since the Ferrari was the faster car more often than not.

See I knew Hamilton could over come his points deficit and when he did I knew the Vettel could not and he would go into self destruct mode once Hamilton got a sizable lead and he did... I even stated it here on this very board but you and some others did not believe me but I was correct in my analysis.

kraftwerk, cairns and ktu like this.
  25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    win 7 WDCs and he'll be the GOAT. Until then it's all Schumacher.