6 hours @ the Glen | FerrariChat

6 hours @ the Glen

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Anthony James, Jun 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Anyone going? If the weather is good I'm taking my 612.

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I wish I were going. It's been on my bucket list to drive the Mondial from Louisiana :)eek:) to the Glen for either the Prototype race or the F-1 vintage races and camp out at the track. I maintain that a Mondial can be an RV. Maybe next year!

Anthony James likes this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just bought my ticket the other day. Only been there one other time and that was back in the Grand Am days. Really looking forward to going. Will be my 3rd IMSA race so far this year (Daytona & Mid-Ohio).

4. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I will give a shout out when I get there. Also get the car track pass so you can drive to other parts of the track.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have been debating about the infield parking. I don't mind the walking, lord knows I could use the exercise anyway!

6. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    The real "Benny" is you get to take your chairs, cooler, food, AC or Heat with you to different parts of the track during the race. Park and set up or walk around that area for however long you want, then move to see another perspective.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Weather report for this weekend. I am going to fry!

Speaking of which, do all the cars have A/C at this point? I thought I heard that the TCR cars didn't.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Those are typical summer temps where I live, but you guys get all that humidity. I'll take the feeling of sticking my head into an oven any day!

9. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm going....as crew. Will have to wear full fire suite...going to be a hot one!

10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Will helmet and balaclava be included with this ensombl ? ;)

11. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, but not driving...Doing fire bottle for a friend who is.

12. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #12 Ky1e, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    I'm driving in IMSA Conti. 4 Hour race in 97 degree temp. Add helmet, nomex long johns (pants and shirt), race suit, balaclava... I might have to come in for "driver cooling" pit stops... seriously.... it is going to be heat stroke city out there. Sealed car (windows dont open, no a/c, roaring hot engine and tranny.). Will have a cool shirt, helmet blower but those are limited in their cooling and duration. Not looking forward to the heat stroke!

Some GT4 cars have optional a/c (mclaren, porsche, bmw) I dont know about the audi, MB. My Mustang does not. GT3 cars have a max temp the drivers compartment can get so I believe most do have a/c. But the a/c doesnt work that well, its not like a raod car and some teams remove them for the electrical drain/hp/weight.

In the Ferrari 488 Challenge car I was told it is actually a smaller/worse a/c unit than in the road car and doesnt do much for driver cooling.

13. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What temperature can you expect it to to reach in your car?

14. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    temperature in my 458c is unbearable....has a/c but doesn't work effectively. Cool shirt is a must.

15. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Then this is aprepo for the occasion...

:p Have fun in the sun!

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Watkins Glen in the summer? Be ready for anything.

My first time there for the IMSA GTP 6-Hour race back in 1990, it started out cold. The sun came
    out and then it got hot. Then, it rained (hard). Got cold again. Sun came back out, got hot. Rained
    again, got cold, lather rinse repeat.

Never saw so many weather changes in one day in my life and I'm from Florida!

BHW

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What team/car are you working with?

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I was actually curious how many cars didn't have AC at this point. Do you know the reasoning for not having AC or window ventilation? VIR in August is another one where it can be brutal.

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The walk can be a long hard slog - and it is supposed to be 95 on Saturday, I haven't yet looked at Sunday's forecast. As mentioned above the worst part of walking around is that you can't bring much more than a water bottle. Every bag and chair triple in weight after less than half a mile. Quintuples or more on the way back.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    My first major event at the Glen was IMSA 1986. It rained heavily on Saturday for the prelim events - and then the fog rolled in. Strobes on the pace car leading the field around made the front straight look like something out of "Close Encounters". During a quiet moment someone in pit lane yelled across to the grandstands "show us yer tits" and a male voice shouted back "well, okay, but I don't think you're gonna be very impressed". You couldn't see even a hint of the stands except maybe the top rail.

There is something about race tracks and changeable weather. Pocono many years ago, brutal hot sun, not a cloud in the sky. Got the grill going, burgers on, and within about a minute the place was black as night and it was pouring. Same kind of thing at Lime Rock Park and the only shelter is your car.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    are you using a third driver? how are you going to split up your stints? WGI tends to be a pretty brutal race weather-wise (heat or heavy rain, sometimes both in the same race :eek:)

22. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Automatic Racing, 99

Anthony James likes this.
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I still haven't figured out how to have your photos not look like crap when posting them to FC

25. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's not possible due to the size restrictions.