6-speed lovers: Have you grown to love paddle shifts? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

6-speed lovers: Have you grown to love paddle shifts?

Discussion in '360/430' started by hifipj, Nov 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    {taking out of context}

Most people that buy a supercar are buying into a suspension system that they actually DO need to be trained on. We see the results of lack of training every day (2 Killed in Ferrari accident,...).

The fact of the mater is that the suspension and tirees are so good these days, that to actually have any chance of driving the car at its limits you have to spend time doing thousands of laps on a road race track. (With the assumption that the purchaser does not have road race experience. If he does, then only several hundred laps are required.)

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's very simple for me...On street cars I want a 6 speed manual full stop. On track (or track oriented) cars a flappy paddle gearbox is quicker and allows you to keep the hands on the wheel all the time thus giving you much more feedback.

The 458 ISN'T a track oriented car (the 'scuderia' version of course will be) hence I don't like it that it's not available with a stick.

3. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dont buy an F1 to save money.. buy what you really want. For street use, 6 speed on a 360 would be my call for anyone wanting a more fun experience.. again, this is the most subjective question that gets repeated all the time. Because someone else may have liked F1 doesn't mean you will like it more than a 6 speed. I think they are both good for different reasons, but as mentioned, only YOU can decide.

To quote you : "...one of the things I loved most was rowing through the gated shifter"

Enough said!

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What he said.

I'm a lifelong 3-peddle guy but that was long gone the first time I drove the F1 in my '02 360 coupe (great car by the way). I would never go back, but that don't mean squat for you. Get the one you like!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #30 TheMayor, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    That's not my point. Have you ever seen a person try to use a stick for the first time? Would you want someone to learn to use a stick on your Ferrari?

Would you think that if they just bought a very expensive car they would want to put it through that torture?

Most people in the future who have never used a stick (and that number grows every year) will not want a stick. They won't appreciate it, they won't "get it", and they will want something familiar.

So, the idea that a car with a stick in the future will be worth significantly more does not make logical sense to the market situation. Aside from certain sports cars, it's a dying breed in every other type of vehicle.

That's all I'm saying.

6. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking

I personally love my F-1 430. I had two 360's a 348 and a 430 spider that were all 6 speed manuals prior. I do miss the manual sometimes, like when you blip the throttle and get the perfect downshift but overall the F-1 is just as fun or more so when driving agressively. Now 355 and 360 F-1's...no thank you. The 430 and my 360CS had and have great F-1 systems, which now only continue to get better as the technology improves.

7. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    360: i prefer a stick
    430: i prefer a the paddle shifters.
    i would be willing to pay more for my preference.
    if you buy a 360 now and intend to sell it in a year or so, you will take a hit in depreciation, regardless of what tranny you get!!
    with respect to the transmission, everyone has their own preference, just as they would with color of the vehicle!
    get what YOU want.
    you will enjoy the ride!
    don't worry about the resale.

8. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    There really is no cut-n-dry answer to 'which one's better?' - each has its good/bad points. It's all been said before.. the stick offers greater interaction/personal satisfaction and a mechanical feel; the F1 auto-manual offers speed, consistency and convenience.

Ideally, for total satisfaction, you need both a manual car and an auto-manual car.

9. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    For me I got the F1 simply because it was something I wanted to try. F430 is my first Ferrari and wanted to experience it. I've been very happy with it. I've driven plenty of manuals and still have one.