60's air condtioner hose | FerrariChat

60's air condtioner hose

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by emsiegel13, Nov 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I've probably asked this before but perhaps things have changed. I need to find modern air conditioner hoses that are suitable for R134 but look like the old woven fabric hoses of the sixties for my Mistral. Many of the cars of that era had the woven fabric cover but in searching the internet I have found no modern replacements. What is the restoration industry doing to replace the old hoses, given that R12 is no longer viable and the R134 will leak through the old hoses as they are not of the barrier type. For authenticity one needs something that looks like the original type but is suitable for modern day use. Any suggestions or leads would be most appreciated.

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can you even still buy newly manufactured R12 style hose in that form? I'm still using R12, it's available, but I've switched to the modern hoses. Originality isn't a concern for me but if it was and the hose WAS available for R12 I think I'd stick with that.

Good luck.

3. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Unfortunately, I really don't want to use R12 even if I can source it. I know that sounds kind of "green" but the old R12 was phased out for sound reasons. That still leave me where I stated in my previous post. Is there any substitute that looks like the old hose but meet modern standards. What happens to some of the very valuable older cars when the old hose needs to be replaced, for any reason, and the concours judges see modern hose. What will the top tier restoration people do to maintain the proper look and what if the judges want to see if the air conditioning works and someone has chosen to keep the old hoses but deactivate their air conditioning system because they either don't have R12 or don't want to use it for environmental reasons?

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You do realize that 134a is going to be phased out shortly for the SAME EXACT REASONS as R12 was right?

The newer modern systems will operate at incredibly higher pressures so any hope of converting to those is very questionable.
    There are also some R12 substitutes still available.
    I'm buying stockpiles of R134a for my cars with that system as well. But you can still obtain all of these refrigerants.