60th Anniversary of Ferrari in America Event -Oct 12 in Beverly Hills - Who's Going? | Page 16 | FerrariChat

60th Anniversary of Ferrari in America Event -Oct 12 in Beverly Hills - Who's Going?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TrojanFan, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    We drove down from the SF area for the event. As others have already mentioned, the parking was a mess. We were directed to the garage only to be told it was filled and to be directed to another small outdoor parking area which immediately filled up stranding many drivers circling for parking. To me, they only wanted our cars to be counted, not shown. This is also evidenced by the "hospitality suite" with the pretzels. Even the guy working the bar inside appoligized for it. Thanks for the pin BTW. Putting the 900 cars on display would have made a larger impact and included us Ferrari peasants more. Having a Lamborghini park on Camden while we had to scramble for parking was not cool. Seems like if they wanted 1000 cars, they would have had reserved 1000 parking spaces. Simple math.

Luca was a main draw for us. Him not showing was a disappointment to many.

I've seen most of the displayed cars over the years, but never in one place. This was cool, and the Rodeo venue was well done. I think I'll pass on the 120 year anniversary in 60 more years... ;-)

Tim

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Perhaps you are right but I didn't get that impression. Since he bashed my 348 I'm not a fan.

3. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very good points about having all of the Ferraris present on display. No doubt that would've been dramatic, to say the least. When the event was first announced I wondered how they would go about it. I imagined a huge parking lot on Wilshire with 1000 cars pointed to the west lined up for a photo. LOL, that would've been cool but you could imagine the complaints from those relegated to the back? I also wondered about the other city streets, but there could've been restrictions . . . city code . . . fire access . . . I don't know. Maybe no one on the planning side even thought to consider that? I just think that from our perspective it is easy to underestimate the logistical side of putting on such a big outdoor event and trying to accommodate the presumed masses that would also come who did not drive Ferraris. Had the turnout reached numbers that I'd heard projected the entire area would've been in lockdown. I was relieved that it was somewhat possible to browse the cars on display. I really expected it to be more of a zoo than it was.

4. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Cool-- thanks again.

I'm at work and can't see it but will look at home!

5. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    some Ferrari owners are such a nag!!!!. "oh i parked on the roof", "oh they served me popcorn", "oh that was a bad event", "oh my pin was missing", "oh i want to park on the street" ... nag nag....Jesus Christ!!!!!!!
    The event wasn't about you.
    I just enjoyed being there, looking at some epic cars and talking to friends.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Are you the guys I was chatting with in the elevator about they should have had go go girls LOL Was someone from SF

7. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    But I think you have to admit that FNA was not honest with the owners.

If they had said "We want you to bring your car so we can break a record and we will provide parking on the roof of a structure for you" then people could have decided if they wanted to bother bringing their car or not.

I think it is reasonable to assume that if you bring your car it will be SOMEWHERE where the public can see it.

My registration was totally screwed up and I would have ended up on the roof also if I hadn't gone back (twice) to the officials on Camden and stressed that I was supposed to be in the parade. For me personally it worked out well in the end so I'm glad I went thru the effort. Had I been on the roof I probably would feel that I had been taken advantage of.

8. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim

LOL! Love it!

9. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Cool event, had fun seeing cars I hadn't seen in person before. Took lots of pictures, I'll get around to resizing them and posting them up here and there.

The highlight for me was the F50 on Camden. Props to the owner for leaving it on the street with the roof off, allowing me to be able to see the car up close and stare at the interior details for a long while.

A few cars over stood a blue manual 599.

I left happy. Just wish I heard more Ferraris making music, but it wasn't the type of event for that.

10. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hmm . . . I know Top Gear have slammed it, but I thought the 348 was Luca's first car? BTW I love the 348 and if your car was the black one with the competition seats I took a good look at it and liked it very much.

Perhaps something's lost in the translation. In fairness, given what transpired since the event was announced, can anyone really blame LdM for not being there? Would you want to be there with the guy who told you to hit the road?

I'd bet you a million bucks no one wanted to be there as much as LdM.

11. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ha! No. At least when my wife was around...

12. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ah, that's where I must be off base. I always think it's about the company's customers. Without all of us, there would be no "them". IMHO of course.

13. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm almost tempted to ask which car, but not sure I want to know LOL

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    A big thank you to all who posted. I really enjoyed all the pix and reports, which made me feel as though I had been there.

I was at the Saturday black-tie dinner (snacks and drinks 6:00 to at least 8:00!) and just as they were starting to go in for dinner I tripped and fell, tearing my "hamstring", so had to go straight home and missed all the fun. Must have been around 1000 at the dinner, and I knew almost no-one. They were not catering to the vintage crowd, but to their sales base of wealthy folk who buy new cars, which I understand. Can't even imagine what all this cost FNA (who were very helpful to me.)

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    LOL - Mine was a fairly anonymous gray 612, so I feel safe...? ;) LOL... I would be worried if it is one of the more flashy ones ;)

16. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Geez, sitting on an airplane leaves one far too much time to post on this board. LOL

Interesting point . . . everyone expects customer service . . . for certain. However, your point makes me think of something that has always fascinated me about Ferrari, something I was discussing with a friend recently.

He commented that Ferrari does not market its product, certainly not in the manner most companies do . . . if one wants to own a Ferrari they have to personally pursue that objective, they must seek that out almost on their own.

I'm not saying that has anything to do with Sunday, but I do agree that we were invited an event (for free) which did not have to include us. Ferrari could have spent the same amount of money, shut down Rodeo drive, and held an exclusive event for a select few . . . just enough to get some good PR from.

Ferrari would have had the same images, the same PR, basically the same return on their investment, without having to deal with the logistics of a bunch of grumpy guests

Just kidding.

17. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Logistically speaking there was no way to accommodate close to 1000 cars in all of down town Rodeo drive. Camden could have held maybe 250-300 cars in 2 city blocks, and Rodeo was occupied. I figured most would have to park in a structure before the event. As far as hospitality suite, there was complementary beverage, snacks, AC and seating. I don't understand why so many people feel entitled to be treated like royals at this event. I agree the event could have went better with more planning, especially regarding announcement of the parade and maybe not have Sergio there at all. Overall it was an amazing event and I want to thank FNA, FCA, Ferrari and the city of Beverly Hills for an amazing experience.

The classic Ferraris were the stars of the show as well as LaFerrari and the 60 America. Really bummed out Luca did not show up but I certainly do not blame him. Followed Sergio and the Chrysler entourage for a bit, they certainly appear to know nothing about Ferrari racing history nor heritage. I am concerned for Ferrari.

18. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Good to hear you come up for air Tim!!! Did you drive your F40?

19. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey Dave! Nope, the 550 this trip. 11 hours in the F40 on freeways with nary a curve would have landed me in traction, or the looney bin, or both. :)

20. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    i agree with you being company's customers, but C'mon, people complaining about parking and being served popcorn is very childish. it's just an event, if you are not happy, you can leave!!!! and trust me, i am not defending FCA nor Ferrari.
    cheers

21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1
    If you didn't like it, just ask for a refund...

22. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim

If you knew where to go. About 3:00 I asked at the hotel desk about the hospitality suite and was told an event started at 5pm but it was not open yet.

Typical of the entire event really. But as has been said, it as free so you can't complain too much.

23. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't know why people are being so negative about the event. Yes there were many things that could have been improved but overall it was fantastic. The display cars on Rodeo and on Camden were incredible and I know I will never be at a better Ferrari show again.

24. sarkis kassardjian

Aug 26, 2007
    Hello Marcel Marcini

Just wanted to correct your post about my car today, I am the owner of the 72 246gts Euro C&F red with tan Dino that you apparently saw on Camden Dr yesterday. My license plate is the Ca historic 777T. You can check the pictures on on page 17 that was posted by Daveyator.

Kind regards

Sarkis

25. julian355

julian355 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    orange county
    Full Name:
    julian
    He must be lost??