612 20" Challenge Wheel | FerrariChat

612 20" Challenge Wheel

Discussion in '612/599' started by Cobraownr, Jun 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The photos show the present I-81 North near Cortland, New York, gave me last week when I was driving my 2010 612 OTO to the Grand Prix of Canada in Montreal. There was a 2"-3" vertical discontinuity in the road surface that really whanged the wheel when the car went from the lower to higher surface.

If anyone has a ball polished, front (8" wide), 612 20" Challenge wheel they would sell, or can source the part, please get in touch. A friend found one on eBay, but it's gray. I don't think there is any way to get to ball polished from gray, and I don't want to paint the other three wheels on the car. Thanks for your help!

I'm not discounting fixing the bent wheel, but I would prefer not using that on the car.

I was able to drive the car home thanks to Ferrari of Quebec. They had a 20" front wheel off a California T (last photo) that had the same specs as the 612 Challenge wheel and jumped right on the job within an hour of my phone call. They sent a flat bed to the hotel, swapped the tire from the bent wheel to the Cali T wheel, put the 612 on the ground, turned the wheels lock-to-lock, and drove around gently. All looked good. The clearance to the brake caliper is a tad less for the Cali T wheel than the stock 612 Challenge wheel, but it is not frighteningly close, so I went with it. It was expensive, but the alternatives were all onerous: letting the car sit for who knows how long until a 612 wheel was found; buying an entire set of four 612 or 599 Challenge wheels; or shipping the car. Ferrari of Quebec saved the trip for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Exoticar can ball polish wheels, so you might ask Chris if he can help you find one or strip and ball polish one of a different color.

3. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Thanks for the idea, Terry. I've already been in touch with Chris at Exoticar. Here's his comment about polishing a painted wheel:

You cant polish a painted wheel unfortunately. Once stripped a painted wheel is a mess. The wheel has to come polishes from Ferrari and then we can make it look new again.