612 battery charger plug | FerrariChat

612 battery charger plug

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Jan 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can someone please send me a photo of the plug end of the adapter that goes with the OEM CTEK charger for the 612? The photo below is the standard round plug in the trunk. I do not have the original charger so I ordered a CTEK charger with the "Ferrari" adapter that was listed as fitting the 612 however it is "U" shaped and not round. The vendor says that he only has seen the U shaped adapter and the magnetic one for the 458/488. I believe that the U shaped one fits the 430.

I'd like to show him what the adapter plug looks like to see if he can locate them. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    That looks like the plug for the Zivan which was the predecessor of the CTEK and came in a leather case - you will need to wire in your new adapter

If you need photos just search on CTEK

3. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So the early models did not use the CTEK? Anyone have an idea on where I can get a ZIVAN plug so I can convert to the CTEK?

I have an email out to ZIVAN USA.

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Correct. You have an early version that does not use the later connector that was also used in (later) 430, 458, and others. I see in other thread that you have already ping'ed wkumari to see if he can help with your plug - that would be my suggestion.

5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Heard back from ZIVAN USA and they claim to NOT have any parts/plugs available to fit the plug in the 612.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Same plug as old 360 Zivan tenders, I assume. Perhaps there are some defective/unused units laying around that you can pick up for cheap and scavenge plug to solder a ctek disconnect onto.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good thought. I'll check on the 360 page.

8. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I have seen those plugs somewhere, need to think were... I ll come back if I remember

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can still buy the ZIVAN connectors from Ferrari, but they are pretty expensive. They were optional on the 7.3.1 360s and the 7.1.1 575s, early F430s, early 612s and early 599s (until about Fall 2007). Probably easier to just put in a new cable with a CTEK connector, maybe in parallel with the ZIVAN connector. Here is the connector for the 575M. Near the radiator on a 575M.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    They are about $300 from Ferrari. Way more than I'd like to spend and don't want the full cable. I currently use the CTEK with the pigtail connected to the battery but would like to find a plug that could hook directly to the zivan plug and rewire for the CTEK.

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Peter, You can also buy the newer in-car receiver plug from Mouser and replace your Zivan plug in the trunk, then you can use your ctek charger and the tail you bought from ebay.

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    DId the Aston originally have a Zivan charger?

13. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    I have no idea as it only has Aston Martin branding but the plug on the adapter looks to be a perfect match for the socket you have. It is a standard XLR plug and socket. I upgraded to a CTEK as it has more functionality than the original 20 year old one.

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the information. I'm trying to find the CTEK plug that you referenced. I've found sources for the XRL plug but would rather go with the CTEK plug if it fits rather than having to make something.

15. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    If the seller on ebay that I referenced doesn't post to the US I am happy to buy it and post it on. Let me know. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the offer. I just sent a message to the EBAY seller to see if he will ship here.

My CTEK supplier here in the US does not have access to that plug (or he is not looking that hard).

17. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    UK Ebay seller will not ship to the US. I see several other UK and German vendors with the plug. I wonder why they only seem to be available in Europe? I have an email out to CTEK asking where the plug is available in the US. I'll post what I find if anyone else wants one.

18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I found the plug at this vendor: mccormicktools.co.uk which had the lowest price and they will ship to the US.

All in with shipping the plug came to $17.00 US

I still don't know why the plug is only available in Europe.

19. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Good stuff.

20. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Did you find the correct Zivan type plug at mccormicktools.co.uk? I cannot find it on their website. What is the part number for the plug?

Thanks,
    Brian

21. nart

nart Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    The XLR connector mentioned has nothing to do with the connector needed. It will not work. Locking, pin spacing, and pin diameter are all different. Other than both having three pins, they having nothing in common.

22. devil boy

devil boy Karting

Apr 21, 2014
    Bath, UK
    Well it fits mine.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Let's see what happens when the plug arrives. Anyone else should hold off ordering and I'll update when it arrives. It fits an Aston. Need to see if it fits a Ferrari. If not, I'll keep the plug and find a plug elsewhere. I don't really care if it locks in like the original as long as it fits and functions.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well nartwas correct. This C-TEK does not fit the 612. On the 612 the pin spacing is an equalaterial triangle while this one is not. Additionally the plug is too small to fit around the round part of the 612 plug.

Apparently this plug will fit an Aston, but not Ferrari. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

If anyone wants the plug for another use, they can have it for my $17 cost otherwise I'll be putting it up on ebay for $25 as apparently this plug in not available in the US.