612 Electrical Issue | FerrariChat

612 Electrical Issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by msark, May 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I've found a 612 that I'm negotiating to buy. It's a an independent F shop and has a single issue left. The electrical system failure symbol is displayed. The shop finds that the car runs as it should and is charging. They are unable to reset to code after 3 attempts and put out the light. Googling for quite a while leads me to think it's in the systems evaluation portion of the computer. Couldn't find that they can be repaired only replaced for US$6,600.00. The battery had gone dead and been replaced not long ago. Possibly jumped at some point also.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ... Mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    So I saw this post last night. I thought to my self , oh poor mate, I dislike those gremlins when they show up,,, thankfully I have not encountered that one...

I get my car back today and walla , I have the same notice,,, yikes!

So I shut it off , do the whole lock and re-open cycle and then turn the car back on. No notice in the display this time but I do notice that car started weakly. I suspect battery,,, probably not on a charger for the 3 weeks away. So I have it on trickle now and hopefully tomorrow morning I will have better power. I suspect battery isn't long for this car, or at least I hope its the battery. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Thanks for your note.... I received photos of 5 pages of errors taken of the Ferrari system reader. All are electrical. There is clearly a communications / computer issue. 2 different well-respected shops asked "Has it even been in water?" .... I'm passing on the car and am confident it will go off to a dealer auction.

And the hunt continues .....

4. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I have read issues like this occur when the cluster needs rebuilding which is about $550-$800 from what I found. I occasionally get a heated seat error, even though I don't have that option. However that is the extent of my trouble. Just a thought.

5. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    The current seller has been very open about all information that was gathered.

Would it be appropriate to post the vin here after he sends it through the auction ?

6. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    Are you wanting a carfax run on it or just to have it looked over? I can have the carfax run for free and email it to you if you prefer.

7. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Thanks for the kind offer....

I'm not going to buy the car and the carfax comes back without any issues.

That being said 2 well respected shops having examined the car / errors believe the electrical issues likely came from a water issue. It could have been as simple as a detail service cleaning the carpets and letting water into the wells below floor level where the computers live thus causing the problems or something spilling in the car.

I just wanted to make sure that any F Chat members had the information before deciding to purchase the car. As for a dealer buying it at a wholesale auction it's up to them to see the lights / messages when the car goes through.