612: engine warm, 3500rpm, any gear, engine check light then stops | FerrariChat

612: engine warm, 3500rpm, any gear, engine check light then stops

Discussion in '612/599' started by pierre_l, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    #1 pierre_l, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Dear all,

After 3 weeks at the ferrari shop, they can't find the reason for my issue, so I am looking for your help :

the car is a 612 from may 2004, 60'000 miles, regular maintenance.

exhaust is a tubi style // my car doesn't have the valve system, at least not visible below. It sounded to me like a valve might be opening or closing at 3500 rpm. The exhaust sound between cold and warm is massively different. One thing I notice is that it is much louder, including vibrations at 3500 rpm than at 4500 rpm - I would almost think it is a a valve but can't find any...

after 60 - 90 minutes drive (in the three cases I had, warm summer day), when the car comes to 3500 rpm (around 150 km per hour, highway cruising), the engine lights comes on then disappears as soon as I leave this rpm range up or down. (when cold, or before 60 minutes drive, it never comes).

It happened in 4th, 5th and 6th gear - didn't test lower gears

it is simultaneous with the time when the exhaust noise is the loudest (and it sounds to me like the exhaust doesn't have the same tone when it is cold or warm).

I was wondering if anyone had a clue of where to look.

Best regards,
    Pierre

2. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Hi Pierre, sorry to hear of your trouble. As far as i know the 2004 model has no electronics to control a valve even if the exhaust had one. My car has a resonant buzz through the whole car at around 4500 rpm and although its an HGTC with valve control the valves open well before this around 3000rpm. Ive had a dealer and independent look at mine and neither can find out why. They both concluded its just a resonant vibration in the exhaust system. Mine happens worse when the car is colder and becomes less noticeable when properly warmed up, e.g. After 60 minutes. It lasts about 500rpm and occurs in each gear. But i don't get any engine light.

Maybe a next step is for you to remove the Tubi and fit a standard exhaust and see if it still happens. That at least would rule out some strange effect of the aftermarket exhaust. The Tubi might be creating some anomaly in back pressure or something that is tripping a sensor somewhere. Maybe its a lambda issue? Or a faulty sensor?

You need to find someone with a spare standard exhaust system you can borrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I'd look for a failure somewhere in the exhaust system, quite possibly the manifold. Heat causes it to expand, the specific pulse and back pressure at 3500 rpm causes it to blow, the O2 sensor triggers a CEL due to the introduction of air between pulses. When it's cooled down enough to have a poke about the crack has closed up and not visible. This makes me think it is on a weld. Complete guess of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. pierre_l

pierre_l Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    looking around further and having driven the car a lot more without issue, it sounds like it comes from the exhaust huge vibrations. i have ordered a normal one and will report if it happens again.

5. JM612

JM612 Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jean-Marc
    Hello Pierre,
    Any news concerning this matter ?
    I think your car is now to sell in Perego Garage Switzerland ?
    Is it correct ?
    Thanks