612 F1 Shift Times | FerrariChat

612 F1 Shift Times

Discussion in '612/599' started by Cobraownr, Jun 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I was never pleased with the shift times of my 2005 575 F1 Superamerica (with HGTC). In comparison to my 2015 Volkswagen Golf R with its DCT (I realize that is an entirely different transmission from Ferrari's single clutch F1), and even my SLR McLaren Roadster, which has a true torque converter automatic, I thought the SuperA shifting was s...l...o...w.... in either automatic or paddle mode. There was a real lag in between gears. I will admit that I did not drive the SuperA aggressively with max throttle shifts, but such is life on our traffic clogged roads.

I’m now considering a 612 F1. I reviewed threads in this section and learned that the minimum shift time on paper went from 180 ms. for earlier 612s to 100 ms. for the 2008 and up OTOs. The SuperA also had a 180 ms. shift time (although I’m not sure if that was affected by HGTC).

I’m wondering if 180 vs. 100 ms. is a distinction without a difference through the seat of your pants? Does the 612 OTO actually feel like it shifts more quickly than a non-OTO? If anyone has driven both, I would very much appreciate their comments. It would be great to get into an OTO myself, but, as we know, they are pretty rare. Of the 23 612s listed on cars.com, just three are OTOs, the closet 250 miles from me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    HGTC on the SA did not affect shift times, it did on the 612 F1A HGTS and HGTC (~160 ms). Interim F133H 612s also had speeded up shifting, not affected by HGTC/HGT2. The OTOs have a different clutch (twin disc from 599) and gearbox case and Superfast 1 shifting from the 599, also not affected by HGT2, but considerably faster and smoother than earlier versions.

3. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Hi, I have driven an early 612, I own a 2006 HGTC and I’ve also driven a number of OTOs.

The differences in shift times, 180 vs 160 vs 100ms are not so easy to feel in real life. These are minimum shift times given perfect conditions.

Where you tend to notice the difference is with less aggressive shift situations, e.g. when you are short shifting through the gears or in normal driving. In this case the newer the car the faster it shifts. For example, I was driving a friend’s 2004 612 the other day. In normal mode (without sport engaged) and light driving style the shifts were ridiculously slow (over 1 sec) but they were smooth. In comparison my HGTC never shifts this slowly in the same situation. However in sport mode and more aggressive driving the shifts are very similar to the HGTC.

OTO is similar but faster again. Flat out shifts are a bit faster but its the in-between situations that you notice. Its just a bit faster and smoother overall.

It’s easy to get hung up on shift times but it doesn’t really make that much difference. I was fully intending to buy an OTO and test drove about 6. However I ended up buying a HGTC because it was the best car I found. In the end the shift time did not really matter.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Thank you Taz and Jeremy (sounds like the 1960s Brit singers "Chad & Jeremy") for the information. Very helpful!

HKS479 likes this.
  5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Everybody should realize the min shift times only apply to full throttle shifts above ~5000 rpm where the intake path changes length. Each of the upgrades to the system resulted in smoother shifting at less than full throttle and algorithms that extended clutch life through quicker, smoother pick up on starts and shifts, realizing most wear occurs on starts. Later versions are also much better shifting for those that use the AUTO mode.

randkin, brogenville, m5shiv and 2 others like this.
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Auto mode on my 2005 is dreadful. Paddles all the way for me. (Though a clutch pedal would be even better.)

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Have the system serviced, fluid changed, system bled, leak check, and self test run and see if it improves. Personally, in 10 years of ownership, I have never used AUTO mode.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Had he f1 system fully serviced just after i got it. The garage said the oil was bogging- normal for cars that spend their lives only being serviced by main dealers.

Auto mode was still crap afterwards though! No worries; I’d rather use the paddles anyway.

9. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So did the early 2008 612s get the faster shifts or only OTOs from that year?

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Interim 612s (late 07, early 08) all had upgraded F1 systems with min shift times around 125 ms. HGT2 did not affect that shift time or OTO shift time (100 ms).

Makuono likes this.