612 LED Stop light bulb replacement issue | FerrariChat

612 LED Stop light bulb replacement issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Oct 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Has anyone successfully replaced their tail light bulbs with LED ones (other that the Swiss set up)? I replaced the bulbs and they work and are brighter but I am getting a stop light error message. Maybe due to the lower power draw of the LED bulbs? I need to solve or will have to go back to standard bulbs or the Swiss kit.

I put them in my F355 and 328 without issue but those cars do not have the same warning system.

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was told by the bulb manufacture that you need to install 50 W/6 ohm resisters on all of the bulbs (not just the turn signals) to not have the warning light issues. The LED bulbs do not draw enough power so they look to the cars system like a burnt out bulb. In the end, for the increase in brightness, the hassle does not seem worth it. If you want to go LED, the Swill kit seems to be the way to go.

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I looked at LED light system for my 997 TT it was a lot brighter but seemed like too much bling for me. I guess I like stock looks. My Panamera Turbo S has LED lighting which I am fine but it is stock and seems to go as part of the package. Doubting will convert the 612 to keep it origional as well. Also I don’t have the patients to sort out additional modifications to go with the LEDs.

4. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Revisiting this thread. My 612 has smoked tail light lenses so difficult to see during the day with standard bulbs.

Has anyone had a successful install using LED bulbs and the resisters? I bought the brightest bulbs that SuperBrightLEDS.com sells and they are definitely brighter than the standard bulbs and visible in the day. They do cause a warning light on the dash for the bulbs so I am going to try to install the resisters. Has anyone installs LEDs with resistors and had any success?

5. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Did you purchase the bulbs that are specifically called "Canbus"?

My understanding is that there is an electronic component in the Canbus version that would keep the warning light for a burned out bulb off. It basically replicates the draw of a regular bulb without actually drawing that amount of current.

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I think the canbus bulbs basically jsut have the resistor built in. In theory this should be easy. The only thing I would say is that the big 50W reisitors can get quite warm, so you want to make sure there's nothing in contact with them that could melt.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #7 TrojanFan, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    From what I understand, a Canbus bulb is not one with a resistor but rather a specific bulb designed for systems that take LED bulbs. In those cases the onboard computer is looking for the signal that the Canbus provides. As the 612 was not built with an LED system, I am being told that a Canbus bulb won't make any difference.

I just spoke with the bulb supplier and this may be a "no go". My car is throwing a warning light just for having the bulbs with the lights on. As each tail light has 2 bulbs, it may require 2 resistors per tail light, not just for the turn signal. This may require 8 resistors and that is too much heat back there to make this worthwhile.

8. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    The 6 ohm/50W kits are pretty inexpensive. Some are encased in a metal enlosure to dissipate heat. It might be worth buying one, or a pair, and using aligator clips or temporary wires, hook it to a taillight and keep it on for a half hour and see how hot it really gets. Mind you the resistor can be placed anywhere in line (in series) so it need not be at the bulb socket. Now I know most people don't want to hack into the wiring harness deep into the trunk but you may have to do what you have to do....Now if you really want to get complicated you could substitute a relay or high voltage transistor for the incandescent bulb and have it switch on/off a separate low voltage circuit for the LEDs but that's becoming a high school science project. *grin*

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's not the price on the resistors, it's the heat they produce. I can see using 8 of them. Even the bulb vendor is warning against it.

The red led bulbs looked great but I'm scrapping the project. Too much micky mouse crap to try to get this to work.

Just bought 2357 bulbs. Same base as the standard 1157 and same brightness on the running lights but a couple of watts brighter on the brake lights. On a lux meter the brake l8ght difference was 42 vs 54. I'm worried about the additional hear but it's just on the braking, not the running lights so it should be ok.

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I guess you could run the wires through the boot floor and mount the resistors under the car.

From y experience with these, the resistors get hot enough that you can’t hold the resistors for more than a second or two without burning yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Going to pass on the LED. Nice look but just too much BS along with them.