612 Major Service | FerrariChat

612 Major Service

Discussion in '612/599' started by Alfred S., Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alfred S.

Alfred S. Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    My 2006 612 has 10K miles. I have been changing oil and fluids every 1-2 years and I put very few miles on the car.

Do I need a major service like engine out , etc and when? The owners manual doesn't exactly recommends this major service.

Please advise.

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There is NO engine-out for a 612 - that is limited to the Boxers, TRs, 348, 355, and Mondial T.

However, you need the belts changed and probably should do the major service every 5 years or so. If the belts go, you're screwed.

3. Alfred S.

Alfred S. Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    thank you.

4. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    #4 Ferrari Monkey, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    What exactly happens when the belts go? I've heard the same, but nothing specific? Mine were changed about 3 years ago just before I bought the car, so I have about 2 more years to go. Just sounds very worrisome.

5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_engine

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I just had a non belt annual minor service completed (8,726 miles) today. the cost was $1,715 ($1,050 labor and $610 parts/fluids). The belts were done by the Fdealer I purchased the car from @ 5,500 miles about one year ago. I am told that the belts add about another $2,500 if the Fdealer does the work. So about $7,600 for three years

Only issue was the tires are original 2008 and have plenty of depth but the age is a factor suggesting replacement. I got a quote on the tires and 4 PZERO tires would be $1,439 plus alignment. So that puts you at about $9k+ for three years. About 50% more than my Porsche 997 TT for three years. I was actually guessing it would be about double.

7. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    #7 Ferrari Monkey, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Ahhhh! That sounds very, very bad and expensive! So, they say 5 years to do a major. Would it be worthwhile to do it every 4 years or more often to avoid this potential problem? I assume the miles drive over the 5 years do not make much of a difference on when to change the belts (ie. 1,000 versus 15,000)? This sounds very disastrous!

8. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    So, I live more or less in between Dallas and Phoenix (a bit closer to Phoenix actually). So I called the Ferrari dealers in Scottsdale and Dallas to get a rough idea how much a major would cost. As above, I have about 2 more years before I need that, but figured I would call anyways. They guys at Scottsdale said about $8k. The dumba$$ at Boardwalk by Dallas said that will run you $15k. Just amazing! That is a huge price difference. The guy at Scottsdale was nice and took his time, and called me back with a price. The one at Boardwalk seemed annoyed that I even called. Luckily, I am not stuck going to the dealer in Dallas is all I have to say.

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Boardwalk Ferrari is a sponsor here and steve from service (service director) is quite active here - you may want to ping him: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/11545.html, or point him to this thread - seems like a very good guy, and nothing what you called him.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #10 randkin, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    The belts are to be replaced 5 years or 15k miles which ever is first. So likely that is the determining factor with the major. With light driving, say 3k - 4k/year, I would think sticking to that frame work would be fine, especially if none of the miles were track miles. With track miles I would guess that would be a whole different matter and I would expect more $$$ more often.

I think I should be able to get 25k+miles out of a clutch so I would think I am about 4/5 years away from a major with belts and a clutch. But I would think a major with a clutch would easily run $9k+ but if there are other issues the $15k figure is not out of the reason for a 25k service? You know how it goes once the engine is out we may as well do X, Y & Z and the X, Y&Z is going to be a dollar or two especially with a Fcar.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You should also look at independents in your area as well as other brand dealerships. For example, in the Boston area there are two top notch independents and the local Aston Martin dealership has Ferrari trained service manager and master tech.

You might want to ask for recommendations in your local forum. I believe FC member rifledriver in Texas is highly regarded as an independent.

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Was it Russell? They are all easy to work with, but Russell is fantastic.

13. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014
    I didn't mean to imply that I spoke with Steve. I have never interacted with Steve, and I am sure he is a great guy. I don't know who it was from service that I spoke with, but with his nonchalant and flippant attitude, and the fact that the major cost more than 2x what Scottsdale Ferrari quoted, you can be sure that I won't be going there. If I lived in the Dallas area, then I really wouldn't have much of a choice, and would be stuck. But as I am in between, I have some options - granted, it's more of a P.I.A. as I can't have it serviced here.

14. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014

Thanks. Been in contact with Andy at FMS in Fountain Hills as well. Super guy.

15. Ferrari Monkey

Ferrari Monkey Karting

Sep 29, 2014

When I first bought the car almost 2 years ago, I figured it would cost me about $5k/year roughly (minus tires and such). Luckily, over the past 2 years it's just been a minor service. I just jinxed myself. Over the past 2 years I have probably put about 1,200/miles a year on it, so about 2 more years for me for a major. Yea, once the engine is out, might as well get it all done.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No engine out for belt changes on anything built after the F355.

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think I read that on a previous thread from you. I was really talking about the clutch as part of a major at 25K. Any idea what the life expectancy of a F1 clutch with relative light miles 3k - 4k miles per year. I was guessing 25k - 30k?

18. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Clutch life depends on driving style, just like a stick shift. BTW, don't think clutch replacement requires engine out either.

19. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The 599 calls for fuel injectors to be replaced after 8 years. Not sure about the 612?

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Randy- Clutch life can be estimated using a borescope to look at the throw-out bearing guide pin. As long as the pin protrudes above the guide, there is still useful life remaining. I would not change out a clutch before checking both that and the SD3 reading of clutch life remaining. Too expensive to preemptively change. Even for a clutch change, the engine does not need to be removed. The transaxle is slid backwards or removed for access.

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #21 randkin, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Taz, Thanks all great information. Just assumed clutch would be an engine out issue, glad it is not.

At my recent service the Fdealer made no mention of the clutch life at all. However the car only has 8,726 miles but I would have thought they would have made this measurement and commented accordingly. The service manager said everything was in excellent shape but needed new rubber as tires are original and 8 years old. I guess I will not worry about the clutch any time soon. I just like to have a general idea of what is coming up, as I don't like surprises. I am generally not hard on clutches and always got a lot miles on my Porsche clutches. But I assumed that 12 cyl Fcars ate clutches much faster.

They gave me a pretty good estimate on 4 new Pirelli PZERO tires, about $65 more than large tire stores. So when I get the tires and alignment I will have them check the estimated clutch life.

Really appreciate your wealth of knowledge of Fcars and your sharing same with us newbies.

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Just got back from meetings at the Factory to find your post and opinions here
    ( Thanks to a heads up from several FC Members )

I've reached out to you via PM with no response, with a sincere apology that any of the team members treated you poorly and/or misquoted you.

What I have been able to quickly find out is that the only phone call we have regarding a 612 Service was back on 9/6/2016 where the belt service and fluid/filter service was quoted at $8,200 before any FCA / Ferrari Chat discounts were applied.

While I have looked over some of your other post on Ferrari Chat, it appears that you are quite happy with Scottsdale and I feel that they may be the best fit for your needs at this time.

On the other hand, if you are still interested in having us help with your Service / Repair needs, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, I will make sure that you are taken care with the utmost respect and consideration.

My direct e-mail is [email protected]

Steve

23. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I have always found it interesting that I see such low expected miles on F1 clutches. On a 3 pedal car you are doing something seriously wrong (or lots of stoplight GP's!) if you don't get 60-100k miles out of your clutch.

24. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I just picked up my '06 612 from the annual service last week.

I asked about the clutch life and was told I am at about 59% after ~24k miles. Clutch replacement is ~$6k.

25. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Completely depends on your driving style. Service guy said some guys will burn through a clutch in 10k miles and others 50k or more. F1 car--not three pedal.