612 noisy windscreen wiper | FerrariChat

612 noisy windscreen wiper

Discussion in '612/599' started by TheCook, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi all. Was out yesterday and it started to rain. Turned the wipers on and the motor (I'm assuming it is the motor?) is making quite a racket. Mechanical whirring sound as the wipers move. Wipers working as normal just this awful noise. Going to have a closer look when I have more time but has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks. (2008 612 OTO)

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL - I remember the Top Gear episode where the were racing against a 612 to some Ski resort. Clarkson was in the 612 and won (as usual). However, the wipers were making a noise (even when not in use) that drove Clarkson bonkers, until they discovered it was somehow inadvertently bent by a mechanic, which led to wind noise.

Regardless, I also noticed a noise when in use them on my 612; but, pay it little attention since I doubt its performance was much of a priority to Ferrari.

3. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    :) I did think of that episode when I posted. Normally I would just ignore it but this is really noisy, like REALLY NOISY. I'll probably lift the bonnet and poke around this weekend to see if anything is loose and hampering the motor. Come to think of it it does sound like the noise an electric motor makes when under load. Maybe a few judicious squirts of WD40 on the linkage will sort it.

4. BB456MGT

BB456MGT Karting

Aug 22, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos

It is the wiper motor. Had the exact same issue with mine. It could die in a day or a year, but you don't want it to happen on a heavy downpour. If you drive your car regularly I would suggest you proactively replace it. Good luck.

5. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    HA! I was imagining same thing

6. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian

Thanks. Going to do that. I googled quickly and found a Mazda motor with the same model number! Fraction of the price of course.

7. jimbob1972

jimbob1972 Rookie

May 30, 2014
    Same happened to mine. Lasted about 2 weeks after it started to grind. Technically possible to have the motor rebuilt but to swap out (and you have to do the whole mechanism) it cost me just north of £900. The part had to be ordered in from Italy as its a RHD and at the time Italy 'had only three left on the shelf'. My mechanic showed me why they fail - one arm has a pretty good deal/dust shield, the other side doesn't. A simple design flaw that spends wiper-doom at some stage.

8. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Same here. My 612 made the whirring noise. Was a motor swap out to fix.

I did read up on whether the motor bushes could be cleaned or not, but couldn't figure out how to extract and take it apart.

9. Veloce12

Veloce12 Karting

Aug 19, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Brady
    TheCook -- Can you share the Mazda info? Are you confident it will fit?

10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Sorry for the late reply. The motor is a Denso part number 159200-7630. You can find them new for around £200. I haven't tried to fit it yet - a job for the winter.

11. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Hello - have a similar issue with mine and i'm about to embark on a long journey... did you fit the motor in the end? do you know if its compatible?

Do you know which Mazda model it was from? Funny enough when googled the denso part number it suggests its also fitted to the maserati QP... since there are often shared parts between the two marques it does make me hopeful that it'd fit...

thanks in advance.

12. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi. Sorry but haven't fitted it as yet. Currently fitting ball joints and tie rods from Hills. It's next on the list - I'll update when I do it. Cheers.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    #13 TheCook, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished fitting the replacement wiper motor last night. The motor is a Denso 159200. The motor itself is really common but you need to make sure it has the correct electrics and gearing. The correct one for the 612 is either a 159200-7630 or 159200-8000 which is the same one as used on the 458. There may be others but I have tested both of these and they are good.

It's a real pain to get the motor in and out and I can fully understand why Clarkson's rattled - those wipers are a ***** to fit! The requirement to have the engine behind the front axle on the 612 means there is not much space between it and the firewall and so it's a bugger to work in there. You don't need to replace the entire mechanism by the way, the motor and gearing can separated from the linkages.

I've attached a picture of the failed motor and gearing for reference. Frustrating that it failed after just 10,000 miles (and very few of those in the rain I suspect) but it appears that the windscreen shield below the actual windscreen was poorly fitted and water dripped through a small gap and directly onto the motor - you can see the corrosion in the picture. It is correctly aligned now so shouldn't happen again.

Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    Hi Ian,

I think I am in the same boat. I was out yesterday, thankfully not far from home, It started raining and I switched on the wipers. They did one complete swipe then stopped, straight up and down. It is like there is just not enough power.
    I thought at first a fuse had blown, but the washer jets still work and they come off the same fuse. I moved the wipers back to home position manually and tried again, they move a little again then stop.
    I am about to order a replacement motor and hope that is the answer.
    Was there any special procedure when you fitted the new motor to home it? Or do you just fit and turn them on?

Regards

Doug

15. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi Doug.
    Sorry to hear that. I didn't do anything more than fit it and turn it on. All modes worked just fine. Good luck, hope it goes well.
    Regards
    Ian

16. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    I'll let you know on Friday...

17. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    Hello again. The company I was getting a spare from on eBay asked for my number plate and then would not supply it. How did you get your hands on the motor Ian? Did you buy a new one or second hand, and where from?

18. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  19. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
  20. superdoug

superdoug Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Fife, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Douglas G
    All fitted and working. Woohoo. The magnets had come off the motor casing and were stuck to the rotor of the old one.
    Thanks for your help.

21. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Good man! No mine looked same as the original but nice job in sorting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Brian Hoban

Brian Hoban Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    London
    Do you recall the mazda model number. I just had a Maserati salvaged part sent to me today, and it is from a LHD car, so a new Mazda motor would be preferable. - Thanks Brian