612 ownership cost? | FerrariChat

612 ownership cost?

Discussion in '612/599' started by 1ricardo, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1ricardo

1ricardo Karting

Nov 14, 2012
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Baptista
    Dear friends

I wonder how much is the ownership cost for a 612?
    And also I would like to know what are the common problems with these cars? What to look for when buying a used one, of course...
    Is this a DIY type of car? For instance, can I change the timing belt myself?

Regards

Ricardo

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can only speak for my 2008 OTO, but ownership cost is very reasonable. There's just the usual fluid changes, although keep in mind it takes 13 quarts of oil and has 2 filters. I had 2 sets of Pirelli P Zeros which only lasted about 10K miles, but now I have Michelin PS 4S and I think they may last a little longer. Belt changes are only every 5 years and are not engine out so doable yourself if you have the skill.

Certainly the most common problem is sticky buttons, then retracting leather dash and rear panel, and then cracked fuel pump. Overall it's a pretty reliable car.

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Agreed. Same for my 2007.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My experience with my 612 OTO (owned since new) is also that it has been quite reliable. It's in getting its second set of belts right at this moment.

I wouldn't confuse "reliable" with inexpensive, though. As pointed out, basic service costs are considerably higher than on most "normal" cars, and if something does break, parts are pretty expensive. But as far as Italian exotics go, I'd say it's pretty darn reasonable.

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    No problems with my 2008 pre OTO except dash shrinkage

6. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Some of what was mentioned already plus some others for sure... Yes, did fuel pumps. Yes, did sticky buttons. Yes timing belt. No, it isn't DIY unless you're ready to go pro!

Headliner will come down in any warmer climate after 10-12 years. Full interior pull apart to address that.

Window switches go bad and are extremely expensive, unless you follow my $5 repair sequence noted in my "I just pulled the engine out of my 612 today" thread. Then they last forever and can take "over-extension" and abuse.

Front and rear (race engineered, non-sealed) tie rods will fail after 25 to 35K. If yours haven't yet, you just haven't had them checked properly.

Must do the main lower plenum coolant hose every major service. This is under the intake plenum. Approx 3" diameter, 14" hose. It will ruin your week when it goes.

Water pumps like to go every 20-30K.

Watch CV axles boots throwing grease on rear axles. Those aren't fun to replace.

The rest is bullet proof. Well, except the clutch if you don't know how to drive an F1 properly... ;-)

7. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Front ball joints corroded on mine.

The mirror adjustment knob is a bit fragile.

Front radiator is exposed to flying gravel which can punch a hole in it, resulting in air conditioning that doesn't cool. Apparently, it's now a rare part to get hold of.