612 parking brake | FerrariChat

612 parking brake

Discussion in '612/599' started by F612, Jul 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Does anyone here know how to adjust the 612 parking brake? My cable(s?) have stretched and the brake doesn't hold on much of a hill.
    Thanks in advance!

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There's a star adjuster on each rear wheel and a cable adjustment barrel on the driver's side under the car. I could never get mine to work well even after adjustment.

brogenville and m5shiv like this.
  3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Join the crowd

m5shiv likes this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea. This happened to my 612 about 3 years ago. The place that services my car adjusted it. Then a year ago it was slack again. They said they couldn't adjust it any more and I would need new parts, to the tune of about $500 as I recall. I told them fougeddaboudit, I'll use chocks if I have to.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mine isn't great either, and it's been that way since almost new. When it was under warranty, they would adjust it, and it still wouldn't be much better. Leave it in gear.

m5shiv likes this.
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Got mine to work pretty well after a bit of adjustment. Definitely needed to go to the barrel adjuster under the car too, rather than just use the ones in the hubs as I suspect a lot of people do.

Still wouldn’t trust it on a properly steep slope though! I get the impression Ferrari agreed with this, as you get the annoying beeps after switching off if you don’t leave the car in gear.

7. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    I'll give the adjusters a try.
    Thanks!

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can attest to the fact that weak parking brakes are a feature of Ferraris. My 308 came with a bent brake arm from a previous owner getting angry with it. lol My 456M had a weak one too, but it didn't matter because it had an automatic. "P" is a great feature! :) Now, with the 360, I have to put it in gear and engage the brake, or it will roll on even a moderate slope, like my driveway!

Does the F1 transmission not have a park feature? I've never driven one, so I honestly don't know. Never thought about it, in fact.

9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    F1 doesn't have a "P" feature but it can be left in gear.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Good to know, thanks. :)

11. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Interesting topic. Here in the Netherlands every car older as 36 months is being technical checked every year. The parking brake / emergency brake must work. Otherwise you are not allowed to drive the car and you’ll be fined automatically.

My parking brake works fine.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

12. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    On a 612?

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What do you mean by "work?" Mine works fine on a level surface.

m5shiv and Nospinzone like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    He lives in Holland. All there are is level surfaces there. :)

15. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    With "work" I mean according to the Dutch law the car slows down with a minimum of 1,6m/s² when you only use the parking brake.

We barely have hills here so therefor I don't need the parking brake. I barely use it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    It works... just not as well as you may want it to. Had mine creep into a shrub at my friends house with it on a moderate incline. I will try the leave it in gear deal next time, otherwise I look to park perpendicular to an incline. I have no desire to try and force the issue with the parking brake.

17. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    My driveway is on a very steep hill.

The parking brake is totally useless even after all sorts of adjustment and new parts .

The parking brake on my QP wasn't much better.

Even in gear, if the hill is steep enough the car still rolls several feet.

I have to say it's totally pathetic, and join the club !

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I park sideways if steep at all and leave in gear - love the car but not fixable - just had a full service at Ferrari and they said did as well as possible and said it was fixed but had the same experience at another Ferrari dealer

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You have a steep hill in San Francisco? Go figure! :D

Yup, the club is growing.

20. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    So funny. I am now in Germany, to drive the car in the mountains. It is great.
    But parking the car and only use the parking brake... No way! It does not keep the car in position. I keep it in 1st gear and I put rocks behind the rear wheels.

So you are all right, the parking brake is rubbish.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can this barrel nit be adjusted with the car on the ground, or does it need to be on a lift? Also do I have to remove the belly pan, and where exactly is this in reference to front or rear on the drivers side?
    Thanks
    Mike

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mine works fine, but I always leave her in gear even on level surfaces. That is why she beeps at you if you shut her down in neutral, telling you not to do that. Just remember to put her in neutral before start, just in case. With battery issues, F1 Ferraris have been known to lurch forward when started in gear because the clutch did not open like it should.

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think they resolved that issue at some point. My parking brake in my 612 OTO is rubbish as well, so I always park in gear. Never had an issue starting with it in gear-- it goes straight to neutral when you press the start button.

Of course, I keep my battery well charged as well, and replace it reasonably often.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- I always select neutral before start, just like it says in the OM, at least it does in mine.

25. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    To adjust from the wheel brakes the car needs to be jacked in the rear. The "star" adjuster can be accessed through a hole in the brake disk like on other cars (if you're lucky to line it up). I never can seem to do that and usually have to pull the disk which means pulling the caliper first to see that is going on. I usually manually adjust the shoes at the top with the expanding star wheel and reattach the disk and see if I can manually turn it un-braked and then see if it is fully locked with the handle up (manual says 4 or 5 clicks up). Otherwise there are adjustments to the rear of the handle at the cables requiring removing the rear of the center console. It provides a smaller range of adjustment and still the rear should get jacked to see if the braking is even between wheels and at least effective. I haven't done it on this car but the process and technology is literally the same as another 100M cars with this design. Theoretically once dialed in the adjustment can be tweeked with a flick of the rear star wheel from time to time....