612 Production Numbers | FerrariChat

612 Production Numbers

Discussion in '612/599' started by tazandjan, Apr 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We know there were 3025 612s produced. While digging around on the NHTSA site, I dug up two more year's production numbers sent to the US (they showed the 612 Scaglietti as a separate manufacturer, not as a Ferrari). We now have a pretty accurate set of numbers for US 612s for every year except 2006. Unhelpfully, the site shows 1392 612s and F430s for MY 2006. Here is the list we have from NHTSA for US 612s imported. I would expect 2006 production to be similar to 2005 production since Ferrari was still pushing 612s through the dealer networks in 2006 and it was the only V12 available from Ferrari. Later, they were special order only.

The Sessantas were part of the 2007 production and the beginning of OTO production happened about halfway through the 2008 production.

US 612 Production
    2005 228
    2006 See above.
    2007 66
    2008 94
    2009 29
    2010 26
    2011 1

stoutman11 and FerrariTexas like this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Remarkably few, particularly US OTOs. I think I've said before, my 612 OTO (2008, early in the OTO production process) was the last new 612 my dealer sold, and the only OTO they ever sold new.

3. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    Well, we could try to hunt down all the 2006 US 612s here on the forum.

Count me in as the first catalogued one via this process! BTF, beige interior, yellow calipers. 36K miles. Rebuilt from salvage title (hydrolocked motor). Well documented here on the forum.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Taz,
    Thanks for the update.

I seldom see a Sessanta ever come on the market so likely not many came to the US.
    Is there a breakdown for the 2008 non OTO vs the OTO cars? It seems there are quite a few 2008 non OTO in the US. About half the time I see a 2008 advertised it is a non OTO. Also seems not many US OTO cars were equipped with the HTG2 package.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No breakdown in NHTSA's numbers at all. Just model year and numbers. Sometimes two models combined (235 2005 575s, 575Ms and Superamericas, for example).

6. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Good morning, Terry-

Have been following you on FChat for several years and thought it was about time that I introduced myself - I also have a request.

I purchased my first FCar in September '16 ... the deferred dream of 50 years prompted by the sober realization that I wasn't getting any younger and if it was going to happen, it better happen soon. As I have always had a thing for the long hood, V-12 cars (the car I first fell in love with at age 16 was a 275 GTB4 and I LOVE curves), I found my way to a well sorted 612 at my price point. I'd like to think that I know a fair bit about my car as I tend to research everything I touch, but I realize that you have resources far beyond my reach. Her VIN is 138983 which, I gather, makes her an early Gen 1 but late in the '05 model year. She's Grigio Ingrid over Cuoio/Black Daytonas with shields and the modular wheel option (just in case you're keeping a list) and spent her whole life as an LFSC car until I I acquired her. I guess she'll now be a Boardwalk car. As I live in Oklahoma and we have crappy roads, I sourced an OEM spare and the kit to go with it although I stopped short of the leather straps. There is only one cosmetic issue (although there is just the tiniest bit of tackiness to the "sticky" surfaces - probably a result of perpetual garaging) - the valance under the wipers at the base of the windshield has a few quarter sized spots where the black coating has flaked - didn't notice it until it came off the truck but, I think, easily resprayed.

As I say, I'm extremely interested in anything else you might be able to tell me about her and look forward to following you in the future.

Warmest wishes - Jeff

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You should post a picture! Grigio Ingrid is a wonderful color on a 612.

KY _Soldier likes this.
  8. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer

Indeed - I did! There are a couple on the 612 Photo thread circa Feb '17. Maybe around Page 47 or so? Rural night sky with the car silhouetted on a hilltop. Got to say that she makes me smile every time.

9. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
  10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Beautiful car, and beautiful pictures! You should repost them here.

11. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
  12. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Nice info Taz. Now, can we speculate how many OTOs are in the US? Considering 29 were built in 2009, a partial 2008 year probably accounts for no more than 15 and likely 10 or less. So I'm guessing there are about 66 in existence. Thoughts?

14. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    What about 2004, were there non shipped to the us?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- The OTOs starting hitting the US in late Spring 2008, so if I had to guess, I would have said about half of the 94 were OTOs. But that is just a WAG.

Jeff- Your 612, Assembly Number 56267, is actually much earlier than CY 2005 and she was probably built in July/August 2004 as a US model year 2005. She is probably one of the earliest ones in the States. She may not have exhaust bypass valves, which were introduced later, I think. You should be able to get the exact month and year of manufacture on the data plate sticker on one of doors or door jambs. She is in the Ferrari Register, but not much on her except MY05 and F1. Grigio Ingrid looks very nice on 612s and was a relatively rare paint color for the late V12s all the way back to the 456.

Incidentally, the first 612s were actually built in 2003 for Europe, but did not make it here as a US/Canadian model until around Summer 2004.

16. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Thanks, Terry. She was actually retrofitted at the dealership with an OEM "Sport" exhaust early during her first owner's stewardship - I've got the full set of shop tickets. It definitely has valves - I can see them by peering up the tailpipe and the sound on throttle gets considerably more aggressive but it lacks the circumferential oval slots surrounding the mouths of the tailpipes. I'm guessing mine is probably an HGTS exhaust whereas the slotted tips are HGTC/OTO? Door plate shows an August '04 build so right you are. I have to say - and it's not just the proud owner factor - that the cuoio with black Daytona inserts, dash upper and door uppers really pops but works well with the exterior color. I could not have spec'ed a better combination for elegance with serious style. Oh - red calipers too!

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i knew my 09 oto wld be special one day!

KY _Soldier likes this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My 612 OTO was completed in June of 2008, and was one of the first ones. I picked it up in early July at the factory. So the first US OTOs (other than the demonstrator) were showing up in mid-summer of 2008 at the earliest. That said, I would agree that about half were probably OTOs, maybe even more. I missed the earlier slot my dealer had, which was a January (I think?) deliver of a non-OTO. And no, I didn't intentionally wait-- in fact, had I gotten the slot, I would have been able to get a manual car, so there's that.

Makuono likes this.
  20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks, Taz, for this information.

Frankly, I'm shocked by the low numbers. I would have expected the US to be the biggest market, due to the size of the car and its engine.

I have a 2007 HGTS version - no idea on the break-down of Base vs HGTS / HGTC vs Sessanta versions. If it is indeed just 1 of 66 cars that year, then it is much rarer than I originally thought. Of course, in 4 years of ownership, I have yet to see another in the wild, besides the ones I test drove.

Keep in mind, the banking crisis (and ensuing recession) was coming on about that time, which certainly effected auto sales across the board.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- Considering that the 612 was in production from 2003 through 2010, with a few in 2011, eight years, nine years if you want to consider 2011, production rate was never very high. 3025/9 is only an average of 336 per year for all markets. Sometime in late 2006 or 2007, the 612 also became a special order only model, and that slowed things down, too. Most of 612 production was concentrated in 2004-2007 with the early series cars.

Compare that to the Maranellos with 10 years of production and 5147 cars, not counting Barchettas and Superamericas.

22. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Understood.

Taz - as always, greatly appreciate your fantastic contributions to this (and many other) forum groups.

This is eye-opening information that most of us were probably unaware of.

It is astonishing to realize that the TR actually out-sold it's contemporary V8 (328). But, once they moved back to Front-Engine V12s, the demand shifted dramatically in favor of the V8 models. I'm certain the ratio of F430 to 612 (and 599) must have been pretty steep.

Hope you're continuing to enjoy your 575.

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That certainly explains why I'm seeing so many early 612's in my ongoing search. Great info.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    American buyers have never understood the 612, or the FF, or any of the Ferrari 2+2s. To most people in the US, at least since the 1970s, a Ferrari is a swoopy two seat V-8 powered car which is red/tan.

The 2+2 line has always been about high speed, long distance travel in style. Not about making cool sounds while idling in front of Starbucks.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    09 and 10 OTOs were sitting on dealer floors going nowhere fast. People were still shell shocked from the -50% sp500. I got a big discount on my 09 msrp 375k car.

rampante550 likes this.