612 Production Numbers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 Production Numbers

Discussion in '612/599' started by tazandjan, Apr 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The ones on the dealer floors were special order 612s that the person who ordered her had reneged on. Imagine they lost quite a hefty deposit.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yep thankfully whoever ordered mine had good taste!
    :)

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That explains some of the Carfax details for some later cars I've looked at. The original buyers didn't take delivery. Or, the original buyer wasn't who ordered the car. Whichever way you want to look at it.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    All 612 OTOs were special order. For sure plenty of people backed out of them in those years... I'm amazed the dealers didn't require bigger deposits, but I guess they were relying on past experience with some of those customers. Airplane manufacturers make you pay as each stage of production is completed, maybe Ferrari should do the same thing.

Prior to the OTO, they forced dealers to take a couple of 612s per year, in order to get the rest of their allocation. That is also madness.

rampante550 and G. Pepper like this.
  5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes my 08 OTO car was made 9/08 and first sold end of June 09. I also was fortunate the person ordering had good taste and ordered all the options.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The option thing, on high end cars, always seems funny to me. You often hear, especially among Porsche guys, that a car is "well optioned." That just seems to mean that they ordered most of the options, or at least the most expensive ones.

I'd much rather order just the options I want. My 612 is on the lower end of the options spectrum, yet I'm very happy with it. My Cayman S was cheaper than just about any plain Cayman, let alone S, because I was very selective with the options.

The only thing I wish I had done with my 612 was get the trunk finished in leather, but neither I nor the salesman knew that was a possibility. Well, I suppose we knew it was a possibility in theory, but I didn't think about the idea of it enough and it wasn't in any of the obvious option lists.

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Donv I would be inclined to disagree with your comment on Pcars. I would say most Porsches are NOT well optioned although the dealer would say to the contrary when trying to sell you one off the showroom floor so then the buyer thinks his car is "well optioned". I believe that most Pcars ard dealered ordered light or middle on the options as they are afraid of sitting on a really highly optioned Pcar which may not sell due to the price of all the options. I have had this exact discussion with Pcar sales folks in my Southern Cal area and when pressed that is their thinking not mine.

I ordered my 997 TT (highly optioned) and the options book was at least 200 pages 8"x11"paper. Of coarse some of the options come individually or in packages but not always just a bunch of options.Last year I ordered a new Cayanne GTS and lots of options but I have seen few Cayannes optioned as well as mine most are either low optioned or middle of the road on the list of options.

The 612 OTO which I did not order seems to have every option that was available. But it seemed that most 612 OTO cars were all pretty highly optioned, I assume because they were individually otdered not dealer ordered. I don't believe that Fcars have nearly the variables of options Pcars have from my limited experience with Fcars. Cayennes, Boxters and Caymans seem to have less available options than 911s or Panameras. IMO

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ferrari (and Porsche) have really pushed the dealers to order more options. That was the case when I ordered my 612 back in 2008, and the salesman (who I consider a friend) even commented about it.

As for Porsche options, at least on the 981 Cayman/Boxster, it was possible to spend more in options than the base price of the car!

I guess what I was trying to say was that, to me, "well optioned" means well thought-out options, not just checking every box, or even just checking the big dollar boxes.

rampante550 likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Along these lines, I have issues with seat options that include colored inserts and piping with the Daytona seats in cars of this era. Colored inserts can work in the right color combination, but I'm not really a fan. I've never seen colored piping that I thought looked good, and the combination of both seems gaudy to me. Just a bit over the top. Tan Daytonas with contrast stitching are the most tasteful to my eyes, and I don't care how rare the colored inserts and piping are, I just don't care for them.

I saw a V8 - can't remember which model - but it had black Daytona seats with yellow inserts, contrast stitching and piping. Made me laugh, actually.

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I am curious about this statement , I have heard it before but never really thought about it.
    When someone asked me what "one to one" meant I said theses cars were specifically ordered by a client. My friend then replied "I thought all Ferraris were ordered by clients" to which I thought the same thing. Can someone expand on what the OTO meant?

My sticker btw:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I think it was because all 612's after a certain point were special order, with none ordered by dealerships or appropriated to them by Ferrari, but I'm not positive. Could be more to it.

Great spec, BTW. What's the color?

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Great stats. Thanks for taking the time to assemble the data and share it.

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Grigio Ferro.

But that was my point. I was / am under the impression dealers don't order cars for their stock. Every car has a buyer. I order a 2015 Cali T, so wouldn't that be a one to one? . What does come to mind though, I think it might have something to do with ordering through the Atelier service as opposed to a dealer. I'm sure someone else knows specifics.

Here is pic of car:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rampante550 and Anthony James like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, cutting out the dealer as a kind of middle man in the ordering process and going directly to Ferrari would make sense out of the OTO designation.

Absolutely fabulous car. One of the best 612's I've ever seen. I don't mind being noticed so I'm looking for a red one. Rosso Fiorano, perhaps, though I would not be afraid of yellow. :)

The metallics bring out the cove so much better.

Alcav5 likes this.
  15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    In the old days (before 2008), Ferrari would tell each dealer how many of each car they would get that year (or maybe it was a shorter interval, like that quarter). It was up to the dealer to sell those cars. 360/430, no problem, the dealer probably had a waiting list anyway. Two 612s in the next few months? The dealer had to do something, and if they couldn't find a customer to take one before it was spec'd, the dealer had to spec it and sit on it.

In 2008, 612s were not exactly flying off the dealer lots, and so Ferrari made them all special order. No 612 was supposed to go to a dealer without a customer name attached to it. I don't know if they've now gone that way with all their cars or not, but it was certainly true for the 612. And no dealers were supposed to be forced to take a 612.

rampante550 and G. Pepper like this.
  16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Don thanks for the rational explanation, makes sense. :)

17. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Yup, that's a REALLY nice combo - just the tiniest hint of brown to the grey? How about the interior - headrest maybe looks like cioccolato?

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks taz.
    somewhere in all that info, i got lost.
    what is the total number of 612's produced?

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ross-- 3025.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks.
    so about the same as the full run of 456's

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ross- Affirmative, 1936 456s (402 GTAs), 1328 456Ms (660 MGTAs) for 3264 total.

22. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    That 3025 number is based on a plaque that one 612 owner had in his car ( last of 3025...)
    Not sure if Ferrari is to be trusted on that type of information, I think you can read more about this on this forum for other models ( was it not for the 599 Aperta? not sure anymore)
    We would need to have an official proof coming from the mothership
    I would not be surprised if reality is 1000 unit below

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Your comments reflect my understanding. as well. The gen 1 612s cars were not so well received and it seems many cars were pushed on to the dealers and it seems the dealers were reluctant to add many options and run up the price on model that they were already having difficulty finding a home. You will recall that in 2008 the economy hit the wall and the buyers for a $350-$400k 2+2 GT Ferrari was pretty thin.

My car was ordered fully optioned and I assume the person declined delivery as the build date was 9/2008 and the first sale date was end of 6/2009. The sticker was $397k so I doubt there was a long line of buyers if it took 9 months to sell. I would think the dealer may have to do the unthinkable as discount the MSRP.

So likely the economy had as much to do with the low number of OTO cars as well as styling and the 2+2 issues.

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Discounting from MSRP in the US was never uncommon for the V-12s, at least from the 456 onwards. Obviously the OTO reduced the discounting, but it still happened... and I think it still happens, even today. In the US, the V-8s have always been what was in demand, and the new V-12 for the first 6 months or so.

The idea that Ferrari dealers don't go below MSRP is a myth, although it is a function of demand.