612 Scag - Biggest Disappointment of Detroit | Page 4 | FerrariChat

612 Scag - Biggest Disappointment of Detroit

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jason, Feb 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    To each their own,I'm voting with my wallet and getting one.
    I want to impress MYSELF with this car ,not 12 year olds who would prefer something else on their posters.

2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

That much voting is a powerful argument in favor.
    - I looked at it again. Still looks like a Nissan...

Wouldn't buy it unless it *appreciated* in value. :(

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    A fair question.

When I drove one a few years ago it just struck me that it was a poor value for $50k, in comparison to not only other competitors, but also other pre-owned F-cars. Now I'm not saying I would take an M3 or something over one for the same money, but I would definitely say that a 348 for a little more, or a relatively new NSX for the same price, offer far more thrills than a 328 does.

In fact, with TRs coming down in price so dramatically this year, I'd go for a nice one of those everyday and then twice on Sunday versus a 328, but with the TR you've got to have a nice budget for monster service bills if you have a bit of bad luck.

The 328 is more or a collector's car now, for someone that will never sell it, and just wants to be reminded of their own nostalgic past. I feel the same way about the Lotus Esprit Turbo of the mid-80s. It's nothing worth owning today for serious purposes, but it reminds me of days past and my youth (Uncle owned one).

Silly cars like 350Zs, and most luxury sedans, will blow away a 328 both on the street and on the track, so you've got to be a diehard to accept it. You can't say the same for a 348, NSX, or TR. They compete well in that price range to this day.

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #79 Chiaro_Slag, Feb 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well said, fair enough.

I would have preferred a TR, but like you mentioned about the repair bills, would have been too much of a stretch for me. I prefer the looks of the 328 over the 348 and the 355 was again out of my range.

I love the classic styling of it and I'm not that concerned about raw power - If I was, no doubt I would have got a Vette!

I love the 328 for what it is, not for what it's lacking. I'm ok with the other cars blowing my doors. :)

I have driven much faster cars (BMW M3, Vettes, etc.). Nothing put the same smile on my face as the 328. Just more of a fun engaging drive. I feel like I'm in a race car driving it. It just has a different feel - No power steering, etc. I just can't get enough of shifting through the gates.

I'm still new at this, so it's my starter car to introduce me to the world of exotics. Every day I drive it, makes my day better.

Best of all - Owning this car over the last few months, I have met some of the nicest people!

Thanks Jordan and Byron for taking these pics yesterday (Gotta love the 328 getting ready to run with the Enzo!) :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i would take a mb sl55, sl600, or preferrably the amg sl600 coming out next year. its better looking, as fast, better built, more practical, more convenient dealer network, half cost and is folding hard top. only advantage to 612 is that it will almost never be seen on street while mb is dime a dozen.

6. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Has Luca lost his touch? First the Enzo and now the Scaglietti.

I hope he does a better job with the 360 replacement.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Well said. I am iin your court as well. Now, in the hands of a proper driver the 328 is no slouch, and if you have the balls to run it up the tach you are in for some sonorous thrills. And the top speed is respectable as well. But you know what, it DOES NOT MATTER !! I pull up to people and they know it's a Ferrari, their jaws still drop, they still perspire and get heart palpitations, etc. 90% of them ask if it's NEW !! However, even the people who KNOW cars appreciate the marque, the styling cues and the outright SEXINESS. Like I said before, there are Ferraris from the 50's and 60's selling for high 6 and low seven figures today that have 12 cylinder engines that don't have the top speed of a 328, what does that prove? It's a Ferrari !!!

8. moulag

moulag Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    This is the best pic of the 612 I have seen.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i understand luca's intention to widen the market for his product, it makes fiscal sense. and he needs to keep an eye on the competition from aston martin, mercedes, bentley, eventually bugatti etc. unfortunately, the 612 is not as good looking as any of these (and i think the bentley is ugly).
    so its all well and good for some of you to argue that i am not the target market for the 612, but rather some jet-setter in monaco or beverly hills, but those people (well some at least) do have some sense of aesthetics and taste and appreciation for automotive art.
    the other cars i mentioned above are unlikely to appear on pubescent posters, but are recognized by all who like cars as looking 'cool', 'neat', 'exciting', and therefore they will be favored.

throw in the usual ferrari dealer issues, vs these other dealers, and frankly its a good thing that the production numbers for the 612 are scheduled to be low, because it will sell, but it won't be the blockbuster that luca may have intended. imho

10. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    I didn't had a chance yet to see the new 612 in person but my first opinion is that it looks too much à la Maserati. If you put the Maserati badges on it and change the design of the typical rear Ferrari lights it could pass for a one. I didn't have the real Ferrari feeling on first sight.
    Maserati BTW, did a great job with the new Quattroporte IMHO.

Joren REMANS

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

The family design does seem to run strong

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I totally agree - The lines are classic, the top speed is good, it's just lacking the torque. I love it anyway - I just get a feeling driving it, that no other car has done for me. There are many other cars I love, but just can't afford. For my price range, the 328 is the car for me!