612 Tires | FerrariChat

612 Tires

Discussion in '612/599' started by msark, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Hello All .....
    I just purchased a 2005 612. Tires are not worn but 7 years old so it's replacement time.
    I have read many of the posts about tires and also the wheel changes. I'm leaving the stock 18F / 19R wheels.

Based on what's out there the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 seems to be the choice in 245/18 & 285/19.

Any other ideas appreciated.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unfortunately the Pilot Sport 4S is not available in your wheel size(s). If you stay with those wheels then the Michelin or Bridgestones are your best choice. Personally I'd stay away from P Zeros.

The other alternative is look around, including on this forum, for a set of 20" challenge wheels.

Anthony James likes this.
  3. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    I'm running 20-inch wheels. Michelin 245/35 ZR 20's and 285/35 ZR 20's give more comfort and a bit more longevity than Pirelli's, and they have plenty of bite.

4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I believe if you run a couple of searches there are a few threads on this very subject which are worth a look. My car came used with Pirelli’s so I replaced them with Pirelli’s and not been sorry. But that said like most Fcar owners i haven’t put on many miles since my purchase. I have only put 8k miles in 6 years. My other cars I have gone with Michelin’s which seem to wear better and excellent performance as well.

5. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Get a set of 20” wheels and run the Michelin Pilot 4S, they’re fantastic.

Dump the pirelli in the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KY _Soldier likes this.
  6. ecarca

ecarca Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Emmanuel
    +1 for PS4S, best tire in the market

7. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    PS4 work well too.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The MPS4 AS is a really nice shoe. Yes it is an all-season, but it is still better than what was available as summer tyres when the 612 launched.

Now if you want to try 20" wheels, there are a few options besides 612 wheels. FF wheels, Cali or Cali T wheels will work as well. Then you can run either the Porto or Lusso spec MPS4S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i just put some contis on my FF because i wanted some more meat and they have been great so far. not sure if they come in 612 sizes.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    18s and 19s make it much tougher to get a match. The 20s make it pretty simple.

599_GTO likes this.
  11. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Which of the Conti's did you choose?

I have found that the alternate size 255 45 19 is within .2" of the oem 285 40 19 on the rear and more choices of brand.

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I have the EXTREME CONTACT on my car, I will check the version. Very happy with my decision. At the time of purchase, there where long wait times for Pirelli and Michelin, like months out.

They have excellent grip in the dry, way more then I dare to find. The only negatives IMHO is not great if you get caught out in a heavy down pour, and if its a nice day in the winter, but several days of 30 degree weather, you loose a lot of cornering grip, it got my attention. But I don't normally drive the 612 in those conditions, I would have to call Paul for a ride in his FF.

Nospinzone likes this.
  13. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    +1 to that. Pilot Sport 4Ss all the way

14. Scag 6 Speed

Scag 6 Speed Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    I'm in the same boat as you with the factory 19's on a 612. I started a thread a couple of months ago looking for recommendations. At this point I'm likely to choose the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. I'm in the south and have 0 interest in all seasons other than the fact that they seem to be more highly regarded than the summer Potenza RE050A's.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Haven't tried the RE050A on a 612, but on a few other cars. Absolutely dreadful tyre. Much worse than the Potenza S-03 PP it replaced. The RE050 series was not Bridgestone's finest hour. While the MPS4AS is an all-season, it's still a better summer tyre than the 15+ year old RE050A. It was bad when it came out, and it has not improved with age.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why not give the contis a shot? i have never had the procontact but cld be worth a shot

17. Scag 6 Speed

Scag 6 Speed Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    The only Conti available for the stock 19’s is the Procontact RX. Another all season that doesn’t get near the feedback of the PSAS4’s.

18. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    #19 msark, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Let's toss another question out there ....

Alternate sizes for the oem rim? Just bought the car (in transit to So. Cal now) and like to keep cars stock. What could these rims use as an alternate?

I also agree with the statement that "an all season performance tire in 2021 is going to beat out what was on the car new" .....
    I've also decided it's a good idea to change the TPMS senders with the tire change. A full set is less than US$ 150.00 .....

PS: I'll be selling a great 1999 456M GTA shortly.....

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    20s look very nice on the 612. that wld open up your options.

599_GTO and Anthony James like this.
  20. Scag 6 Speed

Scag 6 Speed Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    #21 Scag 6 Speed, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Took another look on Tire Rack and see they now have a summer Bridgestone Potenza Sport that would fit the 19's. Unfortunately they do not have any ratings, etc. on it. Anyone know anything about this tire?

I'm wondering if these are likely to be a better choice than the MPS4AS on a car where all seasons aren't necessary.

21. jeffcap64

jeffcap64 Rookie

Mar 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    jeff capellen
    A different but related question. Has anyone dealt with the CST Intervention light coming on when they've switched to a taller tire?
    I just aquired an '07 612 (my first Ferrari) and the light is coming on intermittently. Thanks.

22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What to you mean by "taller tire"? Did you go from a 40 profile to a 45? Plus if you changed the tire width, you may not have significantly increased the diameter.

At any rate, this wouldn't seem to cause that light. I would have your battery tested. A weak battery can throw various lights intermittently.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- If the front to rear tire diameter ratio varies more than 4-5% from the OEM ratio, it chaps off the ABS and may give stability control malfunction indications like you are seeing. Look up the tire diameters on tirerack.com and see if you are outside those limits or close to them.

24. Scag 6 Speed

Scag 6 Speed Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Thanks everyone for your help throughout this thread.

Any opinions on the following:

Took another look on Tire Rack and see they now have a summer Bridgestone Potenza Sport that would fit the 19's. Unfortunately they do not have any ratings, etc. on it. Anyone know anything about this tire?

I'm wondering if these are likely to be a better choice than the MPS4AS on a car where all seasons aren't necessary.

Appreciate any input.