612 Transmission Issue | FerrariChat

612 Transmission Issue

Discussion in '612/599' started by jef, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jef

jef Rookie

Sep 1, 2004
    I have been experiencing a strange transmission issue with the F1 transmission on a 2008 612 OTO. Shifts and transmission shifting are completely fine when driving. When the car is hot and I come back from a reasonable long drive (an hour or more) and I park it, the transmission in shifting from drive to reverse and back will freeze, the engine will rev very high uncontrollably without touching the accelerator, and smoke like clutch burning smell occurs front and rear. The clutch is not worn and the accumulator was just changed but this did not fix the problem. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this problem? Thanks.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Never heard of this happening quite as you say. The revving and smoke sounds like the gearbox ecu (TCU) has completely lost it's PIS (point of initial slip) position. The gearbox ecu can demand torque from the engine ecu's during gear changes, but this has to be orchestrated correctly with the clutch position, just as you would do with your two feet in a manual car. There is a process whereby the ecu can re-learn the PIS position, but you would need to see someone with a specilised tool (SD3 or equivalent). As for the gears wanting to go in by themselves, this is very odd. It actually seems like a logic error in the TCU. This kind of screwey behavior can occur when ecu's get damaged either by voltage spike/moisture/heat etc. Honestly don't know. My wild guess would be that you need a new TCU, but in truth I've not heard of these things going wrong before.

Hopefully someone else chimes in with something more useful!

3. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    The first thing I would is turn off the battery and have the whole thing ”re learn”.

MRY likes this.
  4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sure, can' hurt. Massive long shout though.

The "reset" procedure is really just for re-learning the adaptive fuel trim, which this problem isn't pointing at. Like I said though, it can't hurt.

5. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    It is a long shot but it is free and harmless.

brogenville likes this.