612 trunk/boot release button | FerrariChat

612 trunk/boot release button

Discussion in '612/599' started by Craddock, Feb 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Hello - after a recent battery incident I’m back up and running (thanks for the advice in earlier thread btw) but have one remaining issue... I had to use the emergency release to open the trunk/boot, but now the pushbutton release no longer operates. The lid closes but without the sound of it being “sucked” back down as happens when its operating correctly. Does anyone have any ideas how to reset the mechanism, and is it something I can realistically do myself? Many thanks in advance, John

2. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
    From another thread:

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, what Rex said may do it. I had the same thing happen years ago. I don't remember what fixed it, but it sort of self corrected with normal operation.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You must reinitialize the door lock system any time the battery is disconnected.

Lock and unlock the car with the remote. After one lock and unlock cycle the trunk release and fuel door release should function normally. If you would read the owners manual, you would know this.

Makuono likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Brian, in fairness you have to realize you're a Professional Ferrari Technician. That's all you deal with so of course you have extensive knowledge of the vehicle.

I can't speak for the others, but I have multiple automobile makes from Ferrari, to Porsche to Jaguar to Lexus to Infiniti to on and on. I actually do read all my manuals cover to cover when I first acquire the vehicle, and frequently refer back to the manuals. However, I can't retain everything in all those manuals. Some manuals are almost 500 pages, and that doesn't even include the separate infotainment and navigation manuals. Some are better organized than others, but try to find specific information in some them and good luck with that. :confused:

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, I realize that there is a large amount of information in the owners manual. But when you have a problem, the first thing to do is read the manual.
    In the Ferrari manual is says specifically what to do when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected.

I work on a lot of of different makes/models of cars, and I always read the owners manual when I am having an issue with a system on a car. That said, some manuals are better than others. Some have almost no information at all, which is why it is a good thing that these forums exist.

7. khalidb43

khalidb43 Rookie

Dec 5, 2013
    Full Name:
    italian horses
    Hi Motob,

I am having a weird issue with my 612 that I was hoping to get some insight on with regards to the trunk release button. When pressed, it opens the trunk and the gas cap at the same time instantly. If I close the gas cap it still shows open on the cluster. I also have a full brake fluid level that says its low so I assumed to replace the reservoir which I did but still shows brake fluid level low. My light switch buttons seem to be one position away from the correct reading and it shows the brake pads are worn on the cluster only when headlights turn on but the break pads are brand new. Does this sound like a BCM issue? or some sort of a specific circuit issue? Much appreciated!