'62 Maserati 5000GT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

'62 Maserati 5000GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by frank4cars, Oct 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hey folks,
    it would be nice if you could give credits!!! This pics are the property of The German MASERATI Club, ok?? I was there when this shots were taken. They appreared in our magazine DREIZACK some years ago!

Not sure from what source you have those pics.........!

Ciao!
    Walter

2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...also this photo is owned by The German MASERATI Club. It was taken in June 2001 on the Lausitzring in Germany.

Ciao!
    Walter

3. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I'm sorry Walter, did not know this. Moderator please remove the photo. I will refrain from posting Maserati photos: I'm not deep into this specialty like into Ferrari to know where photos come from.
    Sorry again Walter!

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Boudewijn,
    I have nothing against of posting our photos by other people - but -please- with credits!

Ciao!
    Walter

5. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Great thread on the amazing 5000GT.

I want to tell you some small details that are wrong in your ownership history of this car.

1st owner was President Adolfo Lopez Mateos (he was a very avid car afcicionado and collector) Jose Lopez Portillo was also a president but much later than 1960.

Im not sure if this car was sold to Diez Barroso or to another very important Mexican collector Romulo O'Farrill (who I know for sure had a very hard accident in a Maserati it could have been this) Romulo was friend of my father, and I remember my father telling me a story of driving on the highway between Mexico City and Puebla, when Romulo passed him very fast in a Maserati only to find him a few kilometers later having crashed the Maserati, so I dont know if this might be #22.

6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Would be great to see photos of the car when in Mexico. Possible?

Ciao!
    Walter

7. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    Walter

Unfortunately I was going to ask you the same question, I dont have any pictures of the car I hear all this stories but no pictures, I know that Maseratis were very popular in Mexico in those years with many being imported to Mexico back then

Do you have information about other vintage Maseratis in Mexico?

Thanks

8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #83 wbaeumer, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Beside the Shah-5000 GT (#004) the "Holy Grail" is #018, the one-off made by Ghia! Nat a real beauty but for sure one of the most impressive cars of its time!

Delivered new to Italian industrialist Innocenti, the car was tested by Bernard Cahier in the early 60ies and then ... dissapeared! No one knows where it is, if its still existing (I believe that!) and in what condition it might be!

If the car will show up again it will stir a sensation!

I know a major US-collector who would get nuts if the car comes to light!

Ciao!
    Walter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep, some of the cars had been delivered new to Mexico. I have to check in my records.

Ciao!
    Walter

10. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    The info on 22 is in enricos maserati pages... .looks very dodgy this one to me...
    four pics thre.. Mexico interior .looks prototype mex to me.. Ill look for them..
    Nik

11. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    #86 biz5300, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
    quoted from ENRICO'S pages :

From Alex in the USA

"Hello Enrico -

3. Several members of the US Maserati club in the 1970's wrote abouttheir Mexico's in the club magazine - one of them suggested that one of the first cars was given to President Gustavo Ordaz of Mexico - just after the Cooper-Maserati V12 won the GP. I can find no evidence of this, but it would be a great element to add to the story if it were true.

Alex."

From Enrico in the UK

"Dear Alex,

In answer to your querries, here is the reply I received from Sig Ermanno Cozza, the distinguished Maserati archivist:

1 - The Mexicos were built between 1966 and 1972, and in that period 482 cars were built. 305 with 4.2-litre engines, 175 with 4.7-litre engines, one with a 4.9-litre engine and one with a 3.7-litre 6-cylinder engine.

2 - A prototype bodywork by Vignale, shown at the Turin Motor Show in 1965, was fitted to a 5000GT (AM103*022*) after the show and the vehicle was consigned to Mexican national Alfonso Lopez Barroso.

3 - The origins of the name Mexico derived from the fact that this Vignale prototype (bodywork only), was sold to a customer from Mexico. Therefore the victory of John Surtees in a Cooper-Maserati at the Mexican Grand Prix in October 1966 didn't enter the equation as it happened a full year after the original presentation of the Vignale prototype."

According to factory records, Maserati 5000GT by Allemano #AM103*022* was originally sold to President Adolfo López Mateos of Mexico in 1961. One can presume therefore that at a later date Senor Barroso became the new owner of #AM103*022*. Following a serious accident, he brought the car back to the Maserati factory for repair. During this visit, Barroso spotted the Vignale prototype, bought it and had it mounted on his 5000GT chassis. It was agreed that to assist Senor Barroso in avoiding import duty on his return to Mexico, the factory would assign the same chassis number as his 5000GT, #AM103*022*.

Hope this helps,

Enrico."

SO that is the answer.. It was assigned Barrossos 5000gt chassis number by the facftory to avoid import duty. But is Mexico prototype.. NO 5000GT

12. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    #87 biz5300, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The Ghia-5000 GT had a very unique rhombic dashboard with instruments sitting ON it instead of IN it! B****y hell - WHERE IS THIS CAR TODAY??????????

Ciao!
    Walter

14. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Can you post some photos of the dashboard?

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have to scan it from the Crump-book!

Ciao!
    Walter

16. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    In post 83, Walter mentioned that Bernard Cahier did a road test of #018. This 4-page test with 7 b&w photos appears in "Sports Car Graphic", January 1962. If anyone of you wishes to see it, I can scan and send it to you via email if you send me a PM with your email address.

17. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I have it somewhere buried in the endless universe of my archive ...so, yes, please send it to

[email protected]

Thaaaaaaanks!

Ciao!
    Walter

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    If I had to guess where the Ghia 5000gt is located, I would say it is still in Italy......somewhere. It will be found one day the same way the Birdcage was unearthed in Italy a couple years ago. The owner of the Birdcage knew he had it, but never really talked about it. If I remember correctly, that Birdcage was "lost and missing" as well. I am sure it is around somewhere right under our noses.

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    One more thing.

Has anyone made any kind of formal inquiry to the Innocenti family regarding the whereabouts of 018?

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The Innocenti-Family is one of the major forces in Italy. They don`t answer to any incuies!

Ciao!
    Walter

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    WEll, this is not correct! The whereabouts of the "lost" Tipo 60 Birdcage in Italy was known by many people. The owner denied many offers for the car. It came on the market when the old man had passed away and the son offered it via CHRISTIES!

About the Ghia #016: I agree with you - if the car is still around then I believe its with someone of the Innocenti-Clan. But its remarkable that such an object is hidden for over 40 years now!

Ciao!
    Walter

23. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    One would think that someone in the Maserati parts dealing world would run into some sort of anomole when someone in Italy requests parts for a 5000gt engine or some other ancilliary. I mean, how many calls can they get for 5000gt parts especially right in Italy? Carozzeria Campagna has to know something about where they may be sending parts to or who may be requesting them. Especially right in their own back yard. If not, then perhaps it is sitting in one of their many garages rotting somewhere.

Forgive me for sounding obtuse, but I would have no problem in probing the Innocenti clain until locating one who could shed light on this missing treasure. Although I am sure it would take a remarkable amount of persistence

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I think -if the car is still existing!- that #018 sits unused since over 40 years covered with dust somewhere in the huge premisses of the Innocenti-clan. And when something is not been used it needs "nothing".....!

Ciao!
    Walter

25. aps

aps Karting

May 9, 2005
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    How many 5000 GT Vignales were made? I have a magazine ad from the spanish Maserati importer showing a 5000 GT vignale for sale in Spain.