Another minor 328 mod | FerrariChat

Another minor 328 mod

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Jun 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, Jun 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took the rear roof spoiler off the car and plugged the holes with body-colored plugs for now. I wanted the smoother look of the early models. There's some debate over whether the roof spoiler has a cooling function, so we're going to run it like this through the summer and see what happens. If there's no cooling issues during a Texas summer, I think we can conclude the spoiler is primarily a cosmetic device, and we will permanently fill the holes with metal patches.

I haven't replaced my digicam yet, so here's a pic someone else took during this weekend's car show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  2. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I think it looks much better... nice job. Post more pics!

3. horowitz

horowitz Karting

May 25, 2005
    NYC Metro
    Full Name:
    Horowitz
    I'm so glad to see this done. MUCH NICER!

IMO the spolier was just cosmetic. When you finally can prove what's what just keep us posted. My gut feeling was in the 80s, as tackier was in, Ferrari wanted to keep up with Lambo, with more vents, ducts, scoops, spoilers, et cetara. I bet it offers marginal 'cooling'. Yeah, maybe past 125mph it helps, but for anything under 100mph, I bet it's entirely useless.

What did all that cost? Sorry, I know very little about body work on Ferraris.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I like that look better too. Was it difficult removing the spoiler?

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There's 2 nuts on either side, accessible through the bottom edge of the engine cover. Watch for the washers! After that, it just lifted off. As a note, mine has some small dents where the spoiler was attached that will have to be cleaned up.

I don't know yet. The holes are temporarily filled with a push-in plastic connector normally used to hold body panels together. My body guy (hey Jano!) had them sitting around, so we just sprayed them body color and shoved them in. Works great and isn't horribly intrusive visually. Once we make the final decision, the holes will have to be filled and smoothed and then the sail panels repainted and blended to the rest of the engine cover. Costs vary so much that I can only suggest talking to your favorite bodyshop about it.

6. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    I do not know how to put this... I prefer the previous look!!!
    When I bought my 328 it was spoiler less. I bought and installed it after 4 months.
    Nevertheless... Your car looks gorgeous.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I agree that the car looks better without the spoiler.

Cooling? What the hell is it supposed to cool?

Birdman

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I read somewhere that it was supposed to keep the air flowing over the roof from "tumbling" into the recess behind the rear window and between the sail panels. The air would then flow smoothly onto the rear deck and tail-end kickup and improve the rear downforce.

But if that's the case, why didn't the 348 and 355 use the same spoiler?

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Heretic!

Painting roofs, modifying louvers, removing spoilers. What's next, a supercharger?

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Eventually I plan to have my roof painted red, but I don't think I'll go any further, since I don't mind either the louvers or the spoiler.

And to make the car look even more like a GTB, you really ought to paint the B-pillar black.

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    GTB looks better without the spoiler with its smooth line. However, GTS with black roof has already broken that smooth line so with the spoiler is much better IMO. But with Tillman's 'body-coloured' roof then it's more like a GTB so without spoiler looks stunning.

12. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I like the spoiler MUCH better. Much.

But it's not my car. ;-)

13. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Euro's mostly seem not to have ths roof spoiler.
    Perhaps it was an option.
    I dont like it.
    Cleaner lines.
    But what im really trying to say is, if ours dont have them in sunny South Africa as standard..with no cooling problems, you wont have cooling problems.

Skin.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It was indeed an option for the Euro cars. I have original euro-version brochures that show it both ways.

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Personally I *do* like the look of the "basket handle", regardless of GTB or GTS. We know that it was a specific later "improvement" touch by Pininfarina. Hey, it's sort of a precursor to the tail of the F40 and F50!

There's also the option of painting it body color, which I've seen but don't personally care for.

It is supposed to not only reduce turbulence over the top, but also to thus better draw hot air out through the engine hood vents.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #16 GrigioGuy, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    In my opinion the modification is a cosmetic improvement. I too have a 328 GTB and I'm not happy with the black contrasting color of the spoiler. At this point I've come down to either removing the spoiler or else I getting it painted to match body color--red in my case. I've heard that European cars could be ordered with a black spoiler or one of a body matching color. It doesn't matter much to me. As soon as I can determine whether or not the spoiler has a practical purpose (to direct air into the engine vents), I'll make up my mind. One way or the other, the black contrasting look is out and the smoother line look is it for me.

18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Looks good Tillman, it has a nice retro look to it. Btw, wouldn't be easier removing the rear bonnet so bondo dust residue or oversprsay doesn't get all over the engine bay? I just hope you know who covered the engine to prevent that from happening, otherwise be on the lookout for a white glove inspection upon delivery.

:D

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am going to do this with my 308QV. I like it better off.

20. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    There never was a spoiler on my '85' Euro 308 GTS QV when I bought it 3 years ago and, so far,(knock on wood) no overheating problems. I think it is mainly cosmetic.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have never noticed that you do not have one on your car.

22. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    "A rear roof aerofoil was available as an option on both 328 GTB and GTS models." - Keith Bluemel, Original Ferrari V8, page 38

However it is not identified as "optional equipment" on the window sticker of my '89 GTS. The only "(Opt)" is the electric right sideview mirror. Presumably all USA-spec 328s had the spoiler.

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Yes, the 328 brochure shows a blue/creme euro GTS without a roof spoiler, and the cutaway drawing is also without a spoiler. In addition, there's been a couple of shots posted to Fchat showing 328s that made it out without them. The brochure lists "radio, metallic paint, rear aerofoil and passenger side rearview mirror" as options.

As I understand, the roof spoiler was standard equipment in the US. Can't say I've ever seen a 328 without a passenger mirror either.

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sell it to him if he likes it.

Mine is staying.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have no doubt you'll keep yours. You won't even swap seatbelt warning lights with me.

Unless you have changed your mind....