My Voltmeter Install - 328 | FerrariChat

My Voltmeter Install - 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jun 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 Mike328, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, Greg328 got me motivated to get my voltmeter installed correctly in the 328. Previously, it had been in a bracket underneath the AC (actually, where my Equalizer is right now). A neater installation would be in the left-hand coin pocket, where gauges were originally mounted in the carb 308s.

Some folks are fine without a voltmeter, I personally think it's a very good gauge which speaks volumes as to how the electrical system in the car is operating. That said, its operation is a bit redundant next to the "G" Generator (alternator) light in the car. I prefer having the gauge though, to see the numbers, to confirm the alternator is charging, and to know if (when I'm working on the car, say) running the radio is risking weakening the battery (below 11.5V, say).

The voltmeter of choice is the VDO "Vision" series lighted gauge. I've found the gauge to be of very high quality. I purchased it from egauges.com (no affiliation), for $26.44; here is the direct link to the product: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Voltmeter-12&Series=Vision&Cart=. (For reference, the installation manual can be found here: http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-068.pdf).

The tricky thing is the mounting bracket. I basically custom fabricated my own bracket to fit in the left hand coin pocket (see pics). I started with a double-gauge, black metal bracket with two round holes machined out. (I don't know where to find these now; this was on my previous 308 from the previous owner.)

Very important to use a lighted gauge, or else you won't be able to read it at night! Of course, you'll need to wire the lighting circuit separately.

The easy approach to the wiring is to splice into a switched voltage +12 ignition wire (easy to find if you have the wiring diagrams!), fuse this, and then run it to the voltmeter. I personally chose to use a relay, because I wanted to measure current most representative of the battery, not an ignition wire after the ignition (ignition wire is usually used to activate relays in the fusebox, anyway--it won't necessarily carry a voltage equal to that of the battery).

On a side note, for the lighting circuit, you'll want to tap into the hot leads AFTER the dimmer switch, say, the same ones the instrument lights use, so that (if you use the dimmer switch) the voltmeter will be similarly dimmed. You also need to do this of course so that the voltmeter lights up only when the parking lights or headlights are on.

My wiring was as follows. First, I bypassed the dimmer switch (not needed, and I wanted brighter lights; there is a voltage drop in the dimmer switch rheostat / variable resistor, check out thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63787). I rerouted the (now unused) ground originally going to the dimmer switch (a strong, factory chassis ground) and that became the Relay ground and gauge lighting ground. (Note: according to installation instructions, gauge lighting ground needs to be a different ground than that used for the actual voltmeter gauge itself.) I decided that instead of running a dedicated lead from the battery, the current I would measure with the voltmeter would be that of the trouble socket (convenient to get to), which is of course fused. I split this, and the new lead became the +12V into the relay. I found a switched voltage ignition wire, split it (by the way, I didn't use wire taps - and nor should you), and this became the "activation signal" or "turn on" lead into the relay. Thus, the voltmeter only operates when the ignition is in the "Run" position. The output or "turned on" voltage from the relay then goes into the voltmeter "+" terminal. The fifth terminal on the relay, in accordance with a "turn on" relay, is not used.

I worked very cautiously from the experience with all the electrical work I did in the 308, as well as installing remote entry just recently the 328. Good strong insulated crimped connections, judicious use of electrical tape, not using wire taps, etc. All wires were tucked up and wire tied wire the factory wires, looks factory.

I drilled a small (3/8" or so) hole in the back of the 328's coin pocket, behind the felt so it can hidden and restored to stock if the voltmeter is ever removed. The four wires that connect to the voltmeter were routed out of here, right in the vicinity of the trouble light socket, my relay, and the dimmer switch wiring.

That's about it... Net result is a very nice working voltmeter. The VDO voltmeter itself reads about 0.2V low according to my radioshack voltmeter; this could just be a calibration thing. In testing, it reads about 12V before I start the car, then about 13.5 when the alternator first starts charging the battery. I haven't checked out steady-running, battery-already-charged voltage but I expect that to be 12.5, 13.0V.

Edit: This thread may also be of use:
    308 voltmeter? Anybody ever installed one?
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63607

P.S. This is just my way of doing it. Verell had a great idea to use a rotary switch to select the voltage source being measured (Off, Ignition, Battery, after the fusebox, etc.). I personally just decided to go with measuring the trouble light socket voltage as a useful approximation of system voltage.

Hope this helps!

--Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    great job and really useful, because the alternator control lamp doesn't show many faults which attract attention if you have a voltmeter.

One suggestion: I would use the red cap for the bulb which usually comes with the VDO instruments. So you can choose either white, red or green illumination. Using the red one would suit the illumination of the other stock instruments.

Best Regards

Martin

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Martin,

That's a great suggestion! I've been toying with that. The thing is, I tried the red cap before--it came out a shade lighter than the other gauges.

I was thinking of actually "double bagging" it :) and putting on TWO red caps over the bulb--this might bring the red tones of the VDO gauge in line with the other stock gauges... Will try this soon.

Underscoring your point above, I'm a big fan of the voltmeter... One thing it shows that the Generator dummy light does not is OVERCHARGING. In my 308, the voltage regulator failed in the alternator, and the battery was being cooked at 16V, 17V. So was everything else (not good). We eventually think this was related to ignition coil damage on one bank, almost causing a fire (I did melt a cat that day--November 2002 back in the old 308 [now sold]). The battery also exploded and was rendered useless as a result (typical from being overcharged).

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 Mike328, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update:

Per Martin's suggestion above, I have used the red cover on the bulb to get a more stock light color in the voltmeter. I actually used two red covers (had one from my VDO ammeter, not currently in use).

The result is basically the identical color to stock. It's a bit lighter in the pictures, but in practice inside the cabin the difference is not noticeable.

After a week or so with the voltmeter, I'm definitely a big fan!

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mike,
    Nice job! Glad to be an inspiration.... Same VDO I'm using.

I mounted mine where the clock used to be, almost exactly where yours is.
    Mine sits right next to the oil temp gauge.(77 308). Yes, I did tap into it's power lead using a wire tap. I was able to use the clock's ground wire already tipped w/ a female clip-ready to go. Of course, I didn't use the un-switched clock power lead. Taped it off and tucked it away. I did use the clock's lighting connector also. Very convenient.

Glad to see your running voltage is exactly like mine-13v. Modern cars seem to run at 14v or so, but from what I understand, the small pulley on our alternators won't allow that big a charge.

I'm still trying to solve the mystery of why my A/C drops my voltage down to about 10v when turned on, regardless of fan speed. This is why I installed the voltmeter in the first place! It's a recently-installed Sanden rotary, using R12. Blows nice and cold, but taxes my system when on. In fact, at night, using A/C, the "G" light is very faintly lit, glowing a abit more when I tap the brakes or ise the blinkers. With A/C off, my brakes, blinkers work fine, no warning light. Also, my wipers are surprisingly fast.
    If I turn on the A/C, the wipers slow to a stop!! (My battery is new, alternator rebuilt last month to 75amp)

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but it's slightly related to my other one, which has gotten buried down the list! I'd appreciate any ideas as to how to solve my problem.....

These cars NEED a voltmeter!!

Greg