'67 330 GTC Hood Release Cable | FerrariChat

'67 330 GTC Hood Release Cable

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by todaxyz, Nov 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My hood release cable broke. More specifically, it's the cable wire that runs through the flex cable and broke off just before the release handle inside the car. Was wondering if anyone knew which of the many parts vendor might carry a part like this.

Thanks, Tom

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't know what it looks like specifically, but generally speaking you can make cables like this with stock material from the hardware store or from a lawn mower repair shop. Cut to length and bend to suit.

3. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great idea, I'll give that a try. Thanks, Tom

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Make sure you get materials that can take some heat. You don't want cable coating melting to cable.

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Had a throttle cable to that to me once in a Lancia Scorpion. The engine cross member broke, which caused the engine to sag a bit and the plastic cable sheath melted around the cable. Fortunately, it did so after I parked and had turned off the car to see what the hell was going on.

If the sheath you have is ok, you probably should be able to simply remove the existing wire and replace it without changing the wrapping. You'll have to thread it through, but probably doable. Make sure that the thickness of the cable is as close to the existing one as possible, not thicker (or it will bind) and not much thinner (or it will break again).

Alberto

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting.

Best

7. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks Alberto.
    Tom

8. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Yes, but not difficult. Depending on the number and radius of bends, it can be a challenge, but doable.

If using a solid wire inner cable, round the the leading end with a file, as best as possible.

With a stranded inner cable, tin and solder the first 1/4" (not more) to prevent fraying. Don't add so much solder to affect the outside diameter, but that can be addessed with a file, since you'll want to round the end, same as the solid wire.

Perfect opportunity to smear a thin film of grease as you're feeding it through.

9. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    From your description it seems you're sure about this, but for the benefit of others out there: my 330GTC doesn't always pop the hood and I thought the cable had broken too. It took me ages to work out that, instead, it is the spring mechanism that doesn't work well. If I pull the cable and get someone to press the hood near the front head lights, she always pops open. Just something you might try if you're ever stuck by the side of the road.

Onno

enio45 likes this.
  10. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I would try a motorcycle supply house that sells the cable and sheath with ends etc. thay can probably make one for you. I did this with the e-brake cable. It turns out that the dimensions of a Harley clutch cable match perfectly.
    Morris

11. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes, it's the cable as it broke off on the inside of the car. However, it was probably caused by the inconsistent release mechanism as I'd always have to give it some sharp pulls to get it to open. I was able to get it to open with a pair of vise grips grasphing the end of the cable after it broke, but on last attempt, it wouldn't open. I'll try your technique next.

Thx, Tom

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #12 Vintage V12, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    Another source for cable stuff is a company called Push-Pull in California.

enio45 likes this.
  13. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #13 todaxyz, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for all the advice on sourcing a cable. This weekend, as I was looking to pull the old cable, I came across a 2nd cable that I have no idea what it's purpose is. The picture shows the hood release cable (solid cable) that pulls the release latch on the right and exits the picture to the lower right corner. As I pull on the cable from the interior, this cable actuates the latch. The 2nd cable (twisted strand) exits to the top of the picture and disappears in to the firewall. Does anyone know the purpose of this cable and where it leads too?

As far as replacing the cable, I was going to remove the latch via the 4 nuts shown in the picture which would make it easier to secure the cable to the latch fixture. Is this the proper method? The tops of the screws that the nuts attach to must be attached to the body as I can't see the heads. Any advice would be appreciated as I would hate to randomly take things apart without checking with those that may have been down this path. Note: the picture is a reflection in a mirror
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It appears that what you have there is an emergency back-up release cable (the braided one) to use if the primary cable breaks. I'm afraid I don't know if that's original or not, it seems strange to use two different types of cable, and the different style of cable end stop. I'd guess a previous owner installed it. Now you have to find the release handle for the back-up cable. It might just be a ring you can grab with a finger.

15. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Another source is a parts place that sells vintage Volkswagen parts. Bugs and others use a fairly long braided cable (cannot remember off hand if throttle or clutch, or both), that might work for your application. Best thing is VW prices.

On the second cable in your post, more modern F cars (456 and 550's), have an emergency cable to release hood and trunk; this to override the electronic releases. Don't know if what you have pictured is home brew or not, but if it works I would keep it. Sorry I can't help further. The guys at Tomyang.net may be able to help.

Alberto

16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #16 xs10shl, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    The secondary emergency cable is a typical installation on a 330GTC. I had to use mine once, and it thankfully worked. It was accessible for me by reaching under the dash to the right of the transmission, or by removing the glovebox.

17. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I replaced the throttle cable in my GTC this week and sourced it from the local marine shop which they use for life lines and sails. It is rated at 450 lbs strength compared with the home depot cable I used for the emergency repair to get me off the side of the road which wa only 96 lbs. I put 150 miles on it so so far so good.

18. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great, thanks for the explanation. I was worried about what to do if I couldn't get the hood open when I replace the regular release cable.

Tom

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Resurrecting this old thread... can someone tell me or post a picture of the emergency cable pull knob; where it is exactly, etc.? Thank you in advance.

john

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Which model ?
    On 365 GTB/4, for example, the two hood release emergency/secondary cables are tucked away under the dash, near the each latch mechanisms and do not feature “pull knob”, per se, but are usually formed into a loop with light gray rubber sheathing.
    The trunk latch emergency/secondary release cable, also formed into a loop with aforementioned sheathing, can be accessed by opening the fuel filler door and is usually tucked away under the edge of the fuel filler opening.
    Fuel filler door doesn’t have emergency/secondary release cable, per se, since its latch mechanism can be manually operated/reached through the (open) trunk.

21. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    John, the emergency does not have a pull knob, but does have a loop made from the cable with a crush ferrel - usually the look has a small rubber sheeting around it so when u pull it does not cut your finger.

It should be just hanging out or at the location of the dash/glove box, left corner and center console meets. get a light and it should be in there somewhere. not a lot of folks know about this, but it is obviously installed in the event you have a break in the main cable. Additionally, like the trunk latch on the side by the driver, there is also an emergency pull cable there as well - for the same reason.

22. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Also - if difficulty in opening the hood and the latch is working, check to see if any of the hood bumpers are binding on the edge of the hood lip. This would keep the hood from doing its slight pop up. Additionally as perviously mentioned, the hood tension rods do the work to pop the hood about 6 inch or less, make sure they are mounted correctly and raised up on the inner fender mounts sufficiently.

23. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  24. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    sometimes not always visible, so when i restored this car, i made it a little longer so it can be seen or push up and tuck behind the console as u wish.

25. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Tom, looking at your pics - if i see it correctly, both cables should be stranded cables - not solid core - i see one solid core one in your pic

solid core will not move easily enough as the primary cable to the inside due to the bends....it needs to float freely

also, make sure your orig cable sheeting is not rusty - that inhibits the free motion. Replacing both the sheathing with the cable is a good practice. new sheathings have nylon inside - do not rust.....