67 Corvette-great day for a drive. | FerrariChat

67 Corvette-great day for a drive.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ForzaV12, Feb 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 ForzaV12, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 ForzaV12, Feb 12, 2017
  3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  4. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Gorgeous midyear.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own a 1965 convertible Corvette, 327 65hp car. I think the exterior design of these cars is timeless. Still fun to drive.

Great post

Lee

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What are these cars like to drive compared to a modern Vette? Is it a lot of point and shoot? I imagine the cars have a lot of understeer. Do you put modern tires on them?

7. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's nothing like a modern Corvette(I owned a modded C6 ZO6 and have tracked a C7). No traction control, no anti lock, no stability control, no rev match, no paddle shifters, no electronic shocks,etc. The vintage C2s have a 98" wheelbase, lots of torque and comparatively narrow tires. They can be steered with the throttle, not much understeer. I enjoy this feeling as I've tracked them, early SWB Porsche 911s and dirt track cars.
    I prefer the look of 15" wheels so performance tires are challenging. I use Pirelli V-rated tires that seem to work well on the street and light track duty. Hoosier and Avon make treaded race tires that work for heavier track duty.
    I have a number of C2 and C3 Corvettes, some stock, most modded to varying degrees. This 67 has been run with stock HD suspension, period modded suspension(Guldstrand) and now has the latest anti-dive/squat,negative roll suspension from Global west installed. It works very well, turns in excellent and can handle the 500Hp small block in the car.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    One of my dream cars. Beautiful.

Mark

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    These cars do not drive as well as the C7 Corvette but in my view that is not the point, more for cruising in the warm summer with the top down.

I put radial tires on my 1965 Corvette and the helped the handling but it is still not a modern car just better.

Strangely I put modern radial tires on my 1954 Corvette and it did not seam to help handling at all. Did not squeal the tires as much in turns.

I sold the 1954 and still own the 1965 Corvette. I bought a Mazda Miata hard top convertible of all things! Not a fast car but fun to drive. You can push it hard and people are still walking by you pleasurably :)

Best

Lee

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The 67 corvette is the best of the best.. I have owned several and own a 67 435convertible..(for the last 25 years or so )
    4:11 gears factory sidepipes , FACTORY bolt on aluminum wheels ...drives great and what a sound the solid lifter engine is a special sound ... and it is a quick car I have F41 suspension so it is tight and light feeling....
    my favorite corvette of all time.....(have owned about 40 in every combinations mainly the classics )

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've owned two. They are like getting a date with a gorgeous super model where your heart pounds and you want everyone everybody to see you. Then you realize that she is annoying, dumb as a rock, and smells like last year's laundry. Maybe that's a little harsh and a slight exaggeration but they drive and feel like a mid 70s Chevy pick up.

12. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Couldn't have said it better, I owned a 67 convertible, when I sold it I took a video to remind myself of all the reasons never to buy one again.

I think they are absolutely beautiful, but they drive rough, like an old truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

13. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Obviously, I strongly disagree. When equipped with proper speed rated tires, the F41 suspension and J56 brakes, the 67 is as good as anything else of the period and better than most. How would I know? Well, I've owned/own a 67 911S, 68 Ferrari GTC, 68 XKE, 64 Cobra, DB5, Lamborghini 400GT, 66 GT350,65 GT350 and, yes, a 1969 Chevy truck.
    My guess, is like many other vintage Corvette owners, your cars had modern "s" rated whitewalls or BFGs, parts house shocks, brake pads,fluid and an engine that was never tuned by an expert. Ever had the car properly aligned? Steering box dialed in? Steering set to the quick position? Shifter also set to the short shift location? Engine tuned for gas it was designed for? Distributor blueprinted? Carb blueprinted and tuned? Doubtful.
    Most I know just have the car "restored". They look great but run, steer,stop and corner poorly. I drove my 67 on a high speed rally a few years ago when it was essentially stock-but set up by experts. Also in attendance was an absolutely "perfect" 67 427 Corvette. Within a few miles, I was so far ahead of him in the canyons that I thought he must have experienced a mechanical. Nope, he wheezed in nearly and hour after us-the driver walked over to me and asked why our Corvette was so much faster than his as he had a Tri-power 427. I glanced at his cheap whitewalls, no name shocks and knew the problem. It was also pinging, over heating and running poorly under load.
    Sure, it looked great pulling into Cars & Coffee, but could no longer run like a sportscar that raced and won when new.
    We think nothing of spending proper money to dial in our Ferrari's, yet blame the Corvette when we expect any local garage that "works on Chevy's" to set them up.

14. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #14 KM1959, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Look, you know nothing about me or my cars, your condescending "doubtful" comment tells me a lot about you though. Let's call mine a "resto-mod". New, slightly lowered springs, a $600 steering box helped but it was no rack and pinion, Koni shocks, original 327 block but AFR 180 heads, Lunati 262 Voodoo cam and a Quick Fuel Technology 650 vac sec carb. I also added a Pertronix breakerless points replacement. This car revved like an F355 right to 7000. The engine wasn't the problem. The M22 tranny wasn't either, especially after ditching the POS Muncie shifter (no matter which hole you attach the rods to) in favor of a blue printed Hurst.

It was still had an eggshell body mounted on a short wheelbase ladder frame and lap belts that couldn't hold you in the very flat bucket seats. The universally-panned C6 seats felt like those of a Porsche GT3 RS in comparison. I know every nut, bolt and fastener in these cars and could change every component in that car but I'd still have that rolling eggshell.

My Z06 could stomp it in every possible way... power, driveability, handling, comfort, gas mileage, everything. My 911 Turbo bests those attributes too. I'm glad you still love your supermodel but after 35 years of owning and fixing midyear Corvettes, nobody is going to change my opinion.

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #15 John B, Apr 4, 2017
    Nice Vette, that looks like business!
    I've been bitten too, I've had a '67 L71 427/435 roadster for about ten years now. It was a restored show car when I purchased it, an older Nabors brothers restoration that was just trailered between NCRS shows. I drive and enjoy it. It's way faster than it should be and did handle like a truck at first, a really fast truck. The sound of that big block, solid lifter, tri-power at full chat makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The skinny bias ply radials had a contact patch about the size of a credit card and would spin in 4th gear. They also made the car wander a lot under normal driving. A set of red-line radials from Coker transformed the handling of the car, it hooks up much better and tracks straight and true, yet still looks period. The next problem was overheating in high ambient temps. A replacement aluminum (Black) radiator, high flow water pump, Evans coolant, and making sure the ducting was snug against the rad helped a lot, but I still always keep a close eye on the temp gauge. It's a very pleasant car now and can still embarrass a lot of modern sports cars in a straight line, but in the twisties not so much. Its relative advantage is honestly just burbling around on a nice sunny day, top down with your left arm resting on the door and a big smile on your face. At that, nothing touches it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    ForzaV12, gorgeous '67 vette you have there!!

Loved reading all the mods you have done to the car.....really, really cool.

Yes, an old Vette like an older Ferrari won't be so dominant in handling and braking compared to modern version, but a lot of subtle changes could be made to make it handle and brake a lot better (308s come to mind).

Would you be aware of the mods you could do to C3s, like say a '74 454? :D

17. bigblock427

bigblock427 Rookie

Sep 26, 2015
    Edmond, OK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Nice '67 OP. That is a bucket list Vette for me.

18. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Never meant to be condescending. I'm sure you know what you are doing-sorry if I offended you. My car, however is quite a bit beyond what you did with your C2. It also has Scheel period sport seats that hold as well as the mentioned Porsche sport seats. If I chose to modify my fenders to install modern, larger and stickier rubber, it would be very close to a modern car in cornering ability. At a recent Porsche club autocross there was a 63 Corvette with the same basic Global Wet suspension that I have. It was faster than nearly all of the P-cars-modern examples included. My car has about 500HP and weighs about 2800lbs. That is a favorable P-W ratio-even compared to modern cars. I'll agree that mileage isn't as good, nor is there the comfort or effortless manners of a modern car.

19. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Beautiful Corvette!

There are an endless number of mods that can be done to the C3 to make it handle and brake better. I highly recommend the Global West set-up. I have a few C3's as well(69 510 alloy big block with six speed and suspension mods. Looks essentially like a very well restored 427 C3 with the exception of the Halibrand wheels. It's been timed at 186 and has little difficulty running with most modern Corvettes). I also have a Greenwood IMSA bodied car that it able to run 17" wide rear wheels-traction and handling are quite good!

Thanks!

20. Jolt

Jolt Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2016
    Bend, OREGON
    Full Name:
    Jeronimo Meyers
    #20 Jolt, Apr 25, 2017
    Nice 67!

Here are a couple of mine,

Hard to beat a c2!

My 65 is currently over in boise for frame off chassis restoration. Only 35k original miles, but everything has been sitting for so long, all the seals and such needed to be gone through. the pic you see is loading it up before heading over.

I spent 4 years restoring my 59, the picture you see with the girlfriend is my first show!

21. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice collection!