Serial number trace | FerrariChat

Serial number trace

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JohnMH, Jul 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Ok, this may be a weird one.

I live in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and one of the local things to do is to check out cars at the local Auto Souk. Anything and everything shows up on occasion.

I found a tired testarossa for sale, red on tan, centre nut wheels, which has been converted from single mirror to double mirror. An early car in other words.

The car seems to be Swiss spec (it has a Swiss ferrari club emblem on the rear grille), no central high tail light but a complete emissions sytem. As I recall that is consistent with a Swiss car.

Here is the rub.

Due to what appears to be a translation / transcription error, the model year of the car on its ownership appears as 1994, not 1984 (which my guess says that car is). This may not be a scam, errors translating into Arabic happen.

I also thought that testatossas have a plate affixed to them somewhere which says the year and month of manufacture, but I can't find it (where should it be?)

Finally, the serial number (the steering column matches the frame number) is:

ZFFSA17S000090870

Anyone able to tell me market and year of the car?

Anyone able to tell me where to check if it was stolen? Will ferrari help?

Thanks in advance. Thet car is not that cheap by Dubai standards (yet) but if it checks out I may be able to hammer tham down (a lot).

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W

090870 is to late a number for a 1984 car, in 1984 they had numbers around the 040000 / 050000 mark. The car in question may well have been registered to the first owner in 1994, but it could well have been delivered to the selling dealer a lot before that. I would take a guess and say that it's around the 1990 / 1991 /1992 age.

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    It's a euro car

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It's either a Swiss or Swedish car; most likely Swiss...

It's a 1991 model Testarossa...

On US cars, it's on the driver's side door jamb; i don't know where it may or may not be on this car...

The VIN is correct...

1991 model, mostly likely Swiss (the eighth digit of the VIN tells you which market the car is built for; S is for Switzerland and Sweden)

No information here...

For more information on Testarossas and Ferrari serial numbers and VINs, check out Edvar van Daalen's website, www.red-headed.com... Once inside, click on Articles, then go to the very bottom of the page and click the "Decoding the VIN" link... That will help you with questions on Ferrari VINs... The rest of the site is all about Testarossas, 512 TRs, F512 Ms, one-offs, cut conversions - everything you could possibly want to know about Testarossas... :)

5. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    One of the two things mentioned above is incorrect. A Testarossa with centre nut wheels should be made between 1984 (the first Testarossas) and 1988. The serialnumber should be somewhere between 53081 and 75998. If it was originally a car with a single (high) mirror, then the serialnumber should be between 53081 and 67487.

90870 is way too high for a centre nut, single mirror Testarossa. And NNO indicates, 90870 would mean a 1991 Testarossa with 5-bolt wheels and double low mirrors. So, can you please verify the number?? Or perhaps check the engine number and/or assembly number too??

In the meantime, I'll try to look for some more info ...

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The vin number is accurate, I will get the engine number, are there any other numbers available which may help?

The car does have single nut wheels (I don't imagine that they would fit too easily to a later car, but I suppose anything could be done).

The two holes where the single high mirror mounts were filled in and painted over. Not a great quality job, I can still see the places where the holes once were. When did ferrari stop using the single high mirror? The car has dual mirrors now.

In place of the prancing horse on the rear grille, the car has the emblem of the Swiss Ferrari club. As I remember, the Swiss also have the same emissions specifications as the US, so finding a full set of cats and an air pump also make sense. I think it is Swiss in origin.

Ther car has aftermarket 4 point harnesses rather than it's original safety belts, so I cannot check the dates of manufacture on the belts.

The owners manual is in the glove box, but it suggests no date of manufacture. I do recall that one black 1984 TR I looked at had a rectangular plate affixed to the inside of the door frame, much as my 84 308 GTS did, these plates state the year and month of manufacture. This one has zilch.

Dubai has a reputation as a place to resell stolen cars. This one has been in Dubai a little while. I would let it pass, but there are few cars of this age here (lots of 360's and 550's, but they interest me less).

If I can figure out how to download pictures, I can send some of the serial numbers on the car. They do not look altered, but I am no expert.

Does any global police agency (Interpol?) have a list of stolen car serial numbers?

Thanks to all.

7. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't know how car registration is in Switzerland. If it is a national registration then they may have a record of it being reported stolen.

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The Swiss do maintain a website of stolen cars (very organized group, those Swiss), there have been about 30 Ferraris stolen in Switzerland, but only one Testarossa, a red 1989 version, Plate ZH 583496, with the serial number ZFFSA17S000081543.

When that serial number is compared to the one on the car I am looking at, aside from the last 5 digits they are identical, which seems to bear out that it is a Swiss Testarossa.

Is it that same car? I don't think so, as it did have a high mounted mirror at one time,and it does have the old style wheels. The wheels and mirror could be swapped (I imagine) but why go to that length to hide a car but leave the swiss ferrari club badge on the back?

Aside from the mirrors and wheels, are there any other easily discernable features which mark it as a post 1989 car? I vaguely recall reading something about a hole in the chin air spoiler or something.

The biggest mystery is if it is a pre 1989 car, why is the serial number higher, i.e 90870 vs. 81543 on the later 1989 car?

When did they start using even numbers for serial numbers anyways?

Thanks again to all.

9. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    The engine number will already help a lot. And if the serialnumber is correct, the car should also have an "assembly number". This number is on a small plate in the engine room. When you stand at the rear, the plate should be at the right side, approximately 15 centimeters below the surface.

Correct. Engine type is also equal (or almost equal) to US version.

Only US versions have those plates, and perhaps Middle East versions (I'm not sure about that). Other versions like European, UK or Swiss don't have plates with the year and month of manufacturing.

Pictures of the serialnumber (VIN plate on steering column and the number in the chassis in the engine room) will be appreciated. Please mail them to my address: [email protected].

90870 would point to a 1991 car, that's for sure.

At 75000.

10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #10 JohnMH, Jul 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Because someone fücked up... Look at the plate; count the numbers of digits in that VIN... There's 18 total... VINs only have 17 digits... So maybe someone at the factory slipped a T in there by mistake - the only VIN types that begin "ZFFT" are some Testarossas and F50s... So either the factory made a mistake - which is possible, it's happened before - or someone made a fake plate for the car and really screwed up... It was most likely a factory mistake... Good catch... Any other pictures of the car...?

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #12 JohnMH, Jul 29, 2005
    An error? In a vin plate? I know ferraris where kinda hand made, but hand made VIN plates?

At the end of it all, I just want to know if it is stolen. Anyone ever approach a dealer and ask them to run a VIN?

Does Ferrari even keep such records?

I attach another pic. No horsies on the headrests either. The lower seat leather is rough too. This would be a "beater" TR.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    First of all, thanks for sharing the pictures. That really helps.

Yes, there are several VIN plates known with errors on it, so I guess it's a mistake by the factory. Luigi probably had too much wine ;)

The engine type F113A046 was only used on Swiss versions, which seems to be OK. If I compare the engine number with the numbers that I have in my archive, it would indeed point to a serialnumber close to 90870. So, the numbers on this car might be OK.

But I still don't understand why such a late car (1991, that's for sure!) had single bolt wheels and high mirrors! Maybe one of the owners really liked the early TRs and decided to modify this newer car??? That's all I can think off ...

Any ideas?

(p.s. I guess this thread should be in another section, like the "Classic" forum at the "Model Specific Discussions" section)

14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    A possibility is that the owner sold (or traded) the 91 wheels with another owner of an early car before this one was sold to the current dealer.

What does a hub of a pre 89 car look like compared with a post 89? I would think the hubs must be different (5 bolt vs. single nut?) Not an easy swap.

Can I change the location of this posting? I would love some inner wheel / hub pictures.

The dealer has no clue, btw. he thought the car was a 93 model (?!)

Thanks to all.

15. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    #15 JohnMH, Jul 29, 2005
  16. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I'm not a techinical guy, but what I heard from others is that it's indeed very hard, and perhaps impossible.

Maybe the car was registered for the first time, in 1993? As you know, a 1993 model certainly isn't possible, because that was already the time of the 512 TR ....

17. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    I will post a message in the appropiate section. Maybe one of the moderators can then move it ...

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    If you send a letter to Ferrari asking when it was made will they tell you? It isn't like you are trying to get a key made or something that would be a security risk

19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Are the wheels 415 metric or 16 inch ? Just curious.

20. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    16 inchers.

21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The odo is on the centre console, not in the middle of the speedo.

I read somewhere that suggests an early car.

Anyone know when they switched?

Thanks.

22. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Some good news, some bad news...

I took some advice and based on the Swiss Ferrari Club emblem on the car I sent the VIN and engine numbers to the Swiss Ferrari club and asked them if they had any nformation on the car.

They responded that it they had not heard of it but no members had had a TR stolen (some good news).

They then forwarded my email to Ferrari-Suisse who were most helpful.

According to Ferrari-Suisse, though there is no explanation for the center nut wheels, the serial numbers on the engine and frame do match, the colours are as delivered; it was originally sold new in Austria.

The year of the car... wait for it... 1991.

Why the car shows up as a 1994 model on the Dubai ownership is because (and this is odd, but not inexplicable), the car was delivered on August 6, 1991. It was stored immediately without being driven by its collector / owner.

The owner decided to use the car some time later, but what is weird is that the dealer agreed to delay commencement of the warranty period until the car was driven. The warranty began to run on February 18, 1994 when the car was registered for road use in Austria and expired 2 years later.

Presto, 1994 ownership for a 1991 model year car.

So far so good. Tonight I am going to look at the one thing that can't easily be faked on a pre 88.5 TR, the construction of the rear lower suspension arms. The early ones were welded tubes, the later ones were welded stampings.

The "assemblage" number on the record sheet is 7849. Does that mean anything? I thought only 7177 TR's were made. Anyone know where the transmission serial number can be found?

As for the bad news?

Well, the car only runs on the left bank of 6 cylinders and I can't check the a/c as the fan does not work. The master cylinder also shows some signs of leakage and needs a new reservoir bottle.

The drama continues....

23. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    #23 evandaalen, Aug 9, 2005
    As expected! :)

Around 1989, Ferrari introduced the "Assemby Number", a consecutive number given to each Ferrari (not only Testarossas, but all types) on the assembly line. Looking at my own archive, the number 07849 is indeed possible for a Testarossa with chassisnumber 90870.

I will attach a picture of where the plate with the assembly number should be on Testarossas (the car on the picture is in fact a 512 TR, but the location is the same). I hope you can find the plate!

Stand behind the car, in the middle. Lie down on the ground, as low as possible. You should see the gearbox over there, including a number.

Good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    There are three features which don't belong, the wheels, the centre console odometer and the rear lower control arms are the welded tube type, rather than the solid type. According to the parts book, the last car with such rear control arms was no. 75995.

I wonder why anyone would retrofit, or why Ferrari would use such old parts on a 1991 car?

At any rate, the numbers are all there, they match records for a legitimate car, so assuming they fix the gremlins and we can agree on price, I may have years to try to figure this out.

Thanks.

25. evandaalen

evandaalen Formula 3
    Consultant

Feb 7, 2004
    Deventer, NL
    Full Name:
    Edvar van Daalen
    What's wrong with the centre console odometer??? Please note that only on >1986 US versions, the odometer is on the dashboard. On all other versions, it's in the centre console ...