718 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jgriff, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've owned two Boxster S and driven dozens of porsches over the years, including several 718s.

But for the first time today I drove the 2016 Cayman S and 718 Cayman S back to back, which gave me a real clear sense of the differences.

718 is faster, especially lower revs as expected. Both cars were PDK equipped, and the new paddles are a HUGE improvement, but that wouldn't matter to me since I'd get 3 pedals. And I think the 718 looks better, especially the rear.

But it was boring. After 10 minutes in the 718 I was playing with the (much improved) infotainment system and just cruising along ready to hand the keys back. Then I got into the 2016 and I wanted to just keep driving it forever and finding new roads. I can't pinpoint the reasons. The music of the flat 6 is *WAY* better, but it's not JUST the sound. It's just the way you dance and interact with that engine is so much more engaging and fun. I'm told the chassis/suspension are improved with the 718, but to me driving on public roads they were both equally exceptionally incredible from that perspective.

No way I would chose the 718.

2. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I wanted to post a followup to my 718 test drive report from a year ago.

Since that time, I test drove the 718 a couple more times. And as summer 2017 approached my need for a daily driver was growing since 2 of my sons - who typically help me with drop off/pick up from public transportation, graduated college and moved out. I really put a lot of consideration into this decision over the last year.

I ended up sticking with my view above, and picked up a very low mileage CPO 981 S a couple months ago for daily driving. The car is brilliant and an absolute joy. I surprised myself by getting one with the DCT gearbox, sport wheel with paddles (not buttons which turn me off). The NYC traffic is unreal and only getting worse, and after debating this I concluded the DCT is just a lot easier to live with in a daily driver. I have to say, after a couple months of driving the DCT it is as much fun in a different way as a manual shift, but is in fact easier to deal with in city traffic.

It will be interesting to see where Porsche goes with this model. The 718 sales are down in NA 25-30% year over year, is that a reflection of the market or a reflection of the engine change..? For the time being I'm happy with my decision, if a new Boxster ever returns with a flat-6, I will most likely trade for a new one. For now, my wife and I are so happy with this 981 Boxster we're debating adding a Cayman 981S to the collection.

As a disclaimer, I'm not disparaging the 718, it's a brilliant car but personally I was unable to wrap my head around the engine choice. The sound experience is such a part of a car lover's enjoyment, it's hard to understand why Porsche discounted that aspect in the new version.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and JB833 like this.
  3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I test drove the 2014 S and the new 718 prior to settle and buy the 2014 6 cyls.
    The new 718 in S version must be great as it still has the 6 cyls

My take away is that the 718 was not for us. The 718 even with 4 cyls feels faster that the 981 S from the get go. However I find the older S more enjoyable in sport mode with open exhaust. The sound of the 4 cyls is just not there like for the old non turbo 6 flat S.

My comparison is that the Cayman S 981 is a baby McLaren 570S. I tried both and they feel much alike in handling from the little I tested on the road with the Mac, albeit the huge kick from the Mc Laren.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    all the 718s are 4 cylinder turbos now

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    yep. your are right. I thought the S was still 6.
    Not sure how the 4 cyls will fare with enthusiasts. Maybe young buyers dont care. Whoever has never driven a 12 cyls Ferrari, Lambo or Aston or a nice v8 rumble may not appreciate that aspect of the drive. We live now in the age of buzzing electric cars so a 4 cyls turbo will be the new sound rage.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Don't know why porsche has such trouble making turbos sound decent. imo their natural aspirated engines sound great too. Other companies can make turbos sound good, thank you 488. Even porsche top line tts sounds horrible. Dont get it

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Porsches sound like sewing machines. I know. I am on my third one. :)

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Vacuum cleaner. Woosh....

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    for my wife, I tried a 718 base and a 981 S, with chrono (sport plus) sport exhaust and PDK. While the 718 4 cyls is as fast and torquey, we went for the 6 cyls. The sound coming out if it in sport plus manual pdk spirited driving is hands down way sexier than the turbo 4.
    and that is coming from a guy who has a Aston Martin v12 to listen to..

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought my girlfriend a 718 Cayman S back in June (sticker price was close to 100K lots of options), she loves it and maybe it is my hearing (which is not great even with hearing aids), but I do not think it sounds that bad. I just think like the never 911's there is just too much stuff in it that is not about driving. here car is a P

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have a new 718, a base model car. It rides really well, and I’m enjoying it. I still have to get used to the small paddles that turn with the wheel and the stalks that get in the way. But it’s an easy, friendly car. Here I am washing it after a ride in the rain.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    They're Germans. The Japanese copy everyone and do it better. The Germans copy everyone and do it differently.