720S Buyer Seeking Opinions | FerrariChat

720S Buyer Seeking Opinions

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Chuck Lanham, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chuck Lanham

Chuck Lanham Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chuck L
    I have never owned, nor do I know anyone that has owned a McLaren. I currently have a 488 GTB that I love, but I made the mistake of searching online. I found a 720S with a plum interior. I was fortunate that it is located at a local dealership. I did stop to see it in person and fell in love. I have heard rumors that getting service and/or parts for this car are more daunting than a Lambo or Ferrari. Is this true? I have heard they do not hold up very well. Of course, this could be coming from haters. My biggest concern for this particular model is the miles seem to be too high and close to maintenance issues. It is a 2018 with about 15K on the odometer. Any opinions on this concern? I look forward to any feedback.

Just FYI. I do not use my toy cars as a daily driver, but I do tend to put about 3K - 4K miles yearly. This is another reason for my concern of the current high miles. I usually keep my cars for 1 - 1.5 years and could real easily be trying to sell this car when it has just over 20K miles at the end of 2022.

2. markjeansonne

markjeansonne Rookie

Dec 7, 2017
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Mark A. Jeansonne
    Is the 'local dealership' a McLaren dealer? B/c with a 'boutique dealer', it'***** & miss. A non-McLaren dealer, a boutique dealer, will sometimes clear fault codes without repairing the issue. From a McL dealer, you have a much better chance of getting an actual clean bill of health on the car, plus you can buy a McL warranty (which 'sometimes' is much, much better than a 3d party, non-affiliated warranty). Each different McLaren has particular issues that tend to show up with that model. My 12C had the common issues; my 570S had the common issues with that model. Research the 720S on mclarenlife.com
    Only common issue I've heard on the 720 is something coming loose in the turbo inlets.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  3. Beach Kent

Beach Kent Rookie

Jul 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    kent plank

i have a 2020 720S on its way from a McLaren dealer in Boston. My research says stay away from a first year car. And get a warranty if possible. Good luck i had a 12c and loved the car. Great driver!

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  4. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    A 2018 with 15k miles should be a good driver and well sorted. Mine has been in for the gorilla roof glass replacement, accumulators, and a small paint issue. All fixed under original warranty and still good.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  5. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have a 2018 with about 5k miles. I agree with "dealer purchase" & "dealer service". I have had no issues except for the accumulators needing to be bleed (from not using enough) . Purchased mine new in Long Island NY, had it serviced there and moved to Naples, FL and now have it serviced in Palm Beach.
    Have tracked it and sometimes baby it. My other ride is a 458. Luv'em both.

Look, you are going to hear negative comments and positive comments. In the end, do your due diligence. And, STICK WITH A DEALER PURCHASE AND SERVICE. I bought an extended warranty as I plan on keeping this one for a few years. In the end, I have seen more issues with 720s that were not driven enough.

BTW, when she sits for a few months when we go north the seat memory always seems to go a little out of sorts as to the Bluetooth. Then after a few drives it clears right up.
    Finally, you have to be patient when energizing & starting the vehicle. You have to give the computers time to spool up and give all the systems time to talk to each other. That seems to work wonders in having all the systems come on properly........Just my 2 cents.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  6. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Chuck I own both a 2017 488 Spider and a 2020 720s Spider. Had to take the 720 in right after I got it for an oil leak and it turned out to only be a broken oil filter. Problem fixed quick. However, reinforced why I always try to buy from dealers to get the best service and no one can ever point the finger at someone else. Not sure if you e driven the 720 year but hands down it’s my favorite of the two.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  7. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Love my 2018 720s after 3 years. Few problems, well made.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  8. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    James R,

I agree. The smile is a little bigger driving the McDaddy. That doesn't mean I dislike the F-car, it's just that the Star ship Enterprise takes you enjoyment to another
    level.

Jim L

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  9. Chuck Lanham

Chuck Lanham Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chuck L
    #9 Chuck Lanham, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
    Well. I finally did it. I traded the 488 for a 720 this past Friday. The drive home was sensational. I like to go fast and this thing did not disappoint. My favorite thing about the car so far? Too much to list, but lets just start with my smile. The smile is still on my face and I really love just sitting in the garage admiring. Ok. I know that sounds like a teenager and weird, but I really love this car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

vtknight, markjeansonne and James R like this.
  10. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    Stunning car! You will enjoy it for sure. I will ask you a question that a friend asked me when I got the 720. Did you notice you now have an armrest where you didn’t have one in the 488? Also did you get that in Dallas? Looks like the Dallas McLaren dealership.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  11. Chuck Lanham

Chuck Lanham Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chuck L
    I did not notice the armrest right away. I think I realized it when you mentioned it actually. I did get it at the Dallas McLaren. Took those photos just before driving away.

12. James R

James R Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2020
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    James Richards
    That’s great. I bought my 720 Spider from Simon at Dallas McLaren. Super nice guy.

Chuck Lanham likes this.
  13. JDL

JDL Rookie

Sep 27, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations!
    The more you drive it the more you will connect with it.
    But, take it easy! Even with traction control the tires a a handful when they are cold.

Find a safe piece of asphalt (if you can't get to a track event) void of telephone poles and a generous runoff area to experiment.
    And experiment in small increments (PLEASE)

All these super cars have remarkable 0-60 times (basically all the same); however where your Star ship Enterprise eats up thievery else is 60- 150. It just pulls like a freight train up there.

I remember my first 7:30am Sunday morning on I-75 in APF. Hit the long entry ramp, ripped through 1st & 2nd then pulled 3rd ...I looked down and was doing 144 and nearly rear ended a Cadillac SUV with to older folks heading to church I suspect.
    Everything happens much quicker in the 720. Me mindful of that.

Happy Thanksgiving.......

JDL

James R and Chuck Lanham like this.
  14. Sheridan Brinley

Jun 2, 2006
    Drive it in the hill country on the rural roads. It will be great. Used to go that way before I-10 was finished on my way to California.

15. Chuck Lanham

Chuck Lanham Rookie

Sep 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chuck L
    I would drive it thru the hill country if I lived closer. I am in the DFW area, therefore there are a few great toll roads which allow for the opportunity to get close to top speed.