77 308 Stripped Petcock Valve | FerrariChat

77 308 Stripped Petcock Valve

Discussion in '308/328' started by timr, Oct 1, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In process of replacing a water pump. In that process I decided I would trade out my old engine block petcock with a new one that had a spout to connect a drain tube. Thank you @obertRo for the kit. However, it seems my old petcock brass bolt is a little soft on the edges making it difficult to remove. A couple of questions: 1. Do the valve twist wings come off? If so I could probably get a box head wrench around it. 2. Does anyone have a suggestions on getting it out with a specific tool or scenario? I don't want to damage it with brute force but it's a gonner so I am open to suggestions. Thank you all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

obertRo likes this.
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You could try a flare nut wrench which is sort of half-way for grip between an open end wrench and a box wrench, but cutting/ripping off the wings (or cutting thru the wing threads) and using a 6-point socket would be better. I believe the wings are mechanically swagged onto the threaded portion so can only be removed by some sort of destruction.

3. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim

4. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Steve, that was one of the tools I tried (and cussed profusely). The challenge is the open part of the flare nut wrench area isn't large enough to get around the threaded portion. I know weird huh? Oh I hate the destruction method... any thoughts on a destruction tool small enough to get in that area?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Hack saw/Sawsall blade (to cut the threaded part), or maybe you can just physically "rip" the wings off the threaded piece if the swagged feature isn't too strong. I think Rainman Ray would be tempted to just grab the nut part with his special "angry pliers" and twist ;), but, if that fails, then you can't go back to the 6-point socket. My order of desperation would be:

1. Just try ripping/bending the wings off,

2. If not successful, break out the saw.

6. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sigh… thanks for the thoughts! Angry pliers it is… I’ll keep you posted on the difficulty of removing the wings. Thank you.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have gotten them off by hooking a box end wrench over one of the ends and prying it off. There is not a lot holding them on, thats one of the problems.

8. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Rifledriver, I think that is my first effort. Once I’m in, I’m committed…

9. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    @Rifledriver & @Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the input. Success…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JuLiTrO likes this.