77 Timing questions... | FerrariChat

77 Timing questions...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tortellini, Nov 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    My slow-motion investigation into my poorly running engine continues...
    Front bank seems to be the problem due to fuel/air mix spitting back from front carbs.
    Turning the engine by hand, my 'un-scientific' observations are these:
    At PM 1-4, rear dist. rotor position appears to be a few degrees after contact #1 ...as expected I think.
    At PM 5-8, front dist. rotor position appears to be a few degrees before contact #5 ...surely indicating late ignition? ...and therefore the 5-8 cam(s) out of position?
    Seems this could explain my problem if the intake valves are not closed properly before the compression stroke begins? (I have not yet been able to see or verify marks on exposed ends of cams, must try harder)

Any thoughts gladly appreciated...

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Did the engine run OK and then something was done to it and now it runs poorly. Does it run enough so you can put a timing light on it and verify it is in time. Are you still using points and if so are they set correctly. Has anyone played with the carbs. You need to get it back to factory timing specs. 1st.

3. Tortellini

Tortellini Rookie

Sep 27, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    It ran great then suddenly it didn't (I had just driven a short distance then was idling, problem began when I tried to rev the motor a little).
    Maybe could run enough for timing light but rough ...& I'm obviously nervous in case a cam is out of position.
    Got Pertronix modules ...haven't had chance to drive car much since they were fitted a year ago.
    Carbs were fine, I recently replaced float valves & checked float movement since I had the problem.
    Had virtually everything renewed last year including belts & tensioners...these look & feel good to me (without dismantling anything)

4. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Fuel /air spitting back sounds like a bent valve ??

5. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    That happens when the belt skips a tooth..

6. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Might be bad fuel, check for spark, could be coils, week fuel pump

7. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    By experience I can attest to this. A cam timing check would seem to be in order.