78 308 antenna which one to use? | FerrariChat

78 308 antenna which one to use?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joeyy, Nov 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    my car was purchased w/a bad antenna. i bought one from a ferrari guy and it will only work with the switch they provide. since the original switch is perfect i want to use it. (the antenna only works in one direction). it seems the original antenna has a motor that can switch polarity and the newer antennas have windings that only work one way. has anyone ever heard of this?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The antenna you were sold is not operating like the original. You want a "semi-automatic" antenna, which requires a three position switch. Off in the middle, and up/down.

The original antennas are no longer made...you can get a decent quality semi-automatic antenna that will wire right up to the original stuff for around $50 or so. I even got a black one that matches the trim on my 328. Not original looking, but I think it looks better. :)

http://www.antennaworld.com/

The were out of the black ones when I ordered, so they assisted me with ordering a chrome one, the ordering a replacement black mast and black cap cover for the mount (an extra $14 or so).

Nice thing is if I ever break the mast, I can get replacements from them cheap.

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I recently modified my original antenna motor switch so to work with an aftermarket aerial.

Most aftermarket aerials are designed to be triggered by an on/off switch from the radio, raising up fully when the radio is turned on, and down completely when switched off. But wiring the aerial to the radio in this manner disables the functionality of the original console switch (i.e., no way to partially raise or lower the aerial).

The fix was to go to Radio Shack and purchase a couple of diodes for $0.99 and wire them across one of the contacts of the original console switch.

The switch now works great, just as it came from the factory.

4. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I used 2 relays that the antenna supplier gave me. Works like the old one did before it died.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, the commonly available "fully automatic" antenna can be converted to semi-automatic operation, but easier still, is just to go to the link I provided and buy a semi-automatic antenna that requires no modification, for $25! Easy, easy! :)

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I had this exact same question a few months ago and went to antennaworld.com as Dave Handa suggested. I ordered the semi-auto antenna. Cost me $31 with shipping. I installed it in my '77 GTB in 10 minutes and it works perfectly. It came with the hardware to install. A perfect installation experience! Thanks Dave!

Birdman

7. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I used a fully auto with a relay to keep the console switch operational.
    Cost me 35 $ and was a couple of hours job to figure the wiring.

I most definately would have gone with Dave's suggestion (should have known it); can't beat it!

My antenna works well, though.

8. vogel

vogel Karting

Jun 21, 2001
    Powder Springs, GA
    Full Name:
    Charles Byrd
    Slightly different post, but my aerial switch stopped working in one direction. I have not had time to disassemble it to see if it can be fixed, but was just wondering if there are replacements out there, and where are they?

9. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    antenna world has what i need!! Thanks Dave!!

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, I bought the S-41. It is a direct replacement for the stock antenna. If you have a 328, then you need to get the small top cap option which more closely resembles the original Bosch top. I didn't realize this was available , but instead bought the black replacement mast and black top cap peices so the whole unit is now black, which matches the black trim on a 328.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    As a functional replacement, it's just a double pole, double throw toggle switch with momentary contacts (meaning that the thing returns to the center when you let go of it). Any number of places will have them such as Digikey. However, if you want a Ferrari replacement, I suggest checking with Ferrari UK. I'll bet they have it.

Birdman

13. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Did you get S-41? I need to do this. My antenna is less reliable than the windows.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Just checked my sales slip. Yes, S-41 it is. Works perfectly and it's about the cheapest repair I have ever made to the car!

Jonathan

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Vogel - try Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant on your switch. This stuff works miracles, it usually takes a full day for it to pentrate but ends up being a permanent fix. It's really amazing stuff, mutch better than CRC or other contact cleaners (Radio Shack also makes a straight contact cleaner which isn't the same -- needs to be the TV Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant).

Dave - Great tip on antennaworld.com. Anyone know if the S-41 fits on a Mondial 3.2?

16. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Thanks for this thread!!! My 308 antenna doesn't work. I just logged on to antenna world and ordered an S-41!

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Vogel,
    I re-used my original switch when I installed my replacement antenna and thus have the new unused switch from the replacement antenna and it's yours if you want it. Send me a private message with your address and I'll send it to you.

Jonathan