78 308 GTB cosmetic restoration | Page 3 | FerrariChat

78 308 GTB cosmetic restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Oct 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Paying ? What's Newman need money for I thought he was a philanthropist. :)

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #52 Newman, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    More interior and glass removal tonight. Seats out, quarter glasses, drip rails, back window, parcel shelf, seat belts, pilar mouldings. Tomorrow ill have the column apart, cluster out and dash out then the carpet. Im torn on pulling the original windshield for two reasons, the trim is perfect, I mean flawless and the glass is great. No rust under any of the exterior trim (well maybe just a little under the quarter window) and I doubt theres any under the front trim BUT once the dash is out ill see if the windshield has leaked which will show up as some rust on the steel under the dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Just curious, why are you doing cosmetic work now and not in the winter, there is still time to drive this year.

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The sign of a true Master Craftsman..... the pink Barbie bandaid! I still have spare My Little Pony bandaids to match the lunch box passed down to me. Your a Mad Man!

Here sit Tex and myself, making notes.... I could use that.... and one of those.... like vultures circling over head.

I can remember packing up a box full of the OE fuel pumps in this last puchase I made. All is still packed in the trailer waiting for space and time to unload and inventory.

5. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    I had to make a decision as the project will take 6-7 months to do properly (it is slightly more than just cosmetic): Do I try and stretch it out the driving season to the end of October and risk the unpredictable Ontario Fall weather? or do I give it to Paul at the beginning of October and have it back for the middle of spring?

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It's Dora. My daughter insisted because I had a booboo lol. Put my name on one of those pumps Dave, I may have a car one day that it fits!

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Been there, did you get the matching lunch box?

I have your name on a whole lot more than just a pump.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No lunch box but everything else you can imagine.

Cant wait Dave!

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for showing us your work with all these pictures! Great references. I have a question about the inside of the doors. Mine aren't sealed off like that (the silver plastic stuff). Was this something a previous owner did?

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Fair enough. Something to look forward to.

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    How do you get that A-Pillar trim out?

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's OEM.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes its OEM as already mentioned. Its attached with contact cement, 3 pieces per door. One in along the vent window frame inside the door over the speaker, you can see it come up over the inside of the door an attach to the top folded over. The second one is similar but shields the door latch and the third is the large one you see. I was surprised and glad to see it all there untouched. I peeled it off without tearing it so ill put it back on.

The trim is held in with rivets under the door seal thats pushed onto the pinch weld around the perimeter of the door opening. Easy to take out.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #64 Newman, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tonight I was going to take out the dash but I took out the console first then all the carpet and insulation. I forgot about the console yesterday when I posted about the dash being next.

Tomorrow ill remove the rest of the interior. I expect to find the flexible flaps on the dash top vents to be half the original size like they were washed and dried on high. You have to remove the dash to get to them. They stop air from entering when the fan is off. My guess is it MAY help the a/c which is about as good as a mouse under the dash blowing on an ice cube (I stole that from Adams).

For the A/C theres a small line that goes under the console from your temp knob that ends up in the evaporator with a sensing bulb on the end. If you're carless with this little tube you'll hear a pffffft sound, that's the sound of dollar bills coming out of the pressurized non-repairable line and switch assembly.

The vinyl covering on pretty much every piece of the interior is no longer glued to the fiberglass or aluminium (Hi Murray) panels because of time. The panel would first have a very thin sheet of foam glued on then the covering glued on to the foam. The foam disintegrates over time so the bond is broken. This applies to any 308 this old, its just a matter of time regardless of how little the car is used. The interior guy will probably just replace the foam and reuse the vinyl because most of it is in amazing condition.

Found the matching build number on the inside of the console too, even says USA which I suspect is because the car has rear defrost unlike some euro cars.

Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  15. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Newmy, once more, you've amazed me! :)

No doubt, once you're done, this 308 will look fantabulous!!!

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Hope I remember where all the screws go :)

17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ziplock bags, Tupperware & Sharpies at the ready! ;)

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    This 308 is super clean and original. Its a perfect candidate for a resto because rust isnt a factor and its original paint. I wished I never sold my GTB but at the time it made sense. I want another one and having worked on a few here not too long ago and now this one here, its killing me. I want another one bad and its gotta be a GTB. May hold out for a euro glass drysump car and go hog wild on a resto.

19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Great progress Paul, this is really getting good and yes its making me want to rip my GTB apart!

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Dont, just send it to me ill look after it for you :)

21. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    jebus quick work is being made of this. Very impressive.

there should be a reality tv show about this.

22. Kiwiboy308

Kiwiboy308 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clive
    I like your thinking! Barrie you must have the patience of Jobe and the passion of the great man Enzo himself to undertake this restoration. With so much attention to detail, the result can only be one thing - perfection! :)

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looking forward to seeing paint on the shell and the smell of new leather inside. Ill keep plugging away, the body shop needs the car for 2 months and they're aiming for end of december to get the car back to me. 2 months may seem like a long time but its the same shop that painted my GTB when I restored it. They like to let the car sit and cure between coats of primer so it sits a lot of the time its there. If it was prepped, primed and painted in a week back to back, you run the risk of a repair sinking after the paint is applied. This slower approach lets them address any issues that may show up before the paint is laid down.

24. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Nice. So mine got lost somewhere along the way. Any negative sides on not having this in there? Should I restore it?

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It's there to reduce drafts and water from getting to the door panel. If you never drive it in a hurricane I think you'll be okay. Older cars used paper so I dont think water ingress was the number one concern.