78 308 pass. door unable to open | FerrariChat

78 308 pass. door unable to open

Discussion in '308/328' started by heritage58, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    I can't remove the panel. The fasteners cannot be accessed. Am I screwed, so to speak?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    First try using the key to place the lock in several different positions. You may get lucky.

If not your AAA should be able to open the door with the lock tools available to them. It is not a complex mechanism to overcome :)

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I would try rolling the window down and manipulate the rod mechanism with a slim jim.

Nuvolari and Patrick Dixon like this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Something else that occurred to me earlier: there are multiple places that the mechanism could have failed.

- The outside handle has become disconnected
    - The inside handle has become disconnected

So, try both handles. Try both handles while simultaneously turning the key in the lock. Also try to determine (feel, sound) if manipulating either handle is moving a rod inside the door.

It could also be that the latch itself (that closes shut over the bolt/plate) is inoperable. If it's that, then much more problematic.

5. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    I will probably try the auto club route but I'm hoping it isn't a latch problem. Had trouble closing the door properly in the past; the striker may have been mis-alligned. Also the lock tumbler is pretty loose now. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

6. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    I had the same thing happen to me on the drivers side. Lean against the door to relieve pressure off of the latch mechanism, and slap around the door latch to jar it loose. celebrate with a beer and then lube and keep lubed - DO NOT completely dissemble to lube (you'll never get it back together) . Good Luck!

7. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let us know how and when it gets resolved, as I've had the opposite on my drivers door.
    Every time you try and shut the door it bounced back at you, I had to drive the car home one handed 60 miles home. I never want to do that again.
    It ended up again just lubricating every area I could get to and it magically closed and opened as it always did, now I carry a can of WD -40 in the boot with all my other stuff.
    (Relays/fuss/clamps/different size tubing/spare rad cap/plugs/ignition leads/rotor arms etc etc etc)
    You know how it is :)

8. heritage58

heritage58 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Full Name:
    Tony Di Bernardo
    I will let you know.

9. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You have a GTS, so this is no problem at all. Just swing your leg up over the door and climb in:D

absostone likes this.
  10. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    any updates?

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had a similar prob on GT4. A plastic piece of the lock mechanism broke. It's riveted to the latch frame with multiple rivets. The whole mess was pivoting about one of the rivets rather than transmitting motion to the necessary components. I used a slim piece of metal, a flashlight, and an enormous amount of patience. Got it open without destroying anything. Whew!!