'79 308 Fuse Box Help | FerrariChat

'79 308 Fuse Box Help

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308tr6, Jan 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    #1 308tr6, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally got around to installing Birdmans fuse box (which rocks). So I have this odd single fused wire that I presume isn't stock. Perhaps by passed the fuse block by the PO???? Anyone know where this might plug into the fuse box correctly?

Per the pic it is a blue/white wire. I simply placed all the connectors in the order that they were - so not sure about this wire?

Also you may notice I put the box in with the old screws and read the instructions after I installed it (I know....) about putting in shorter screws. So this needs to be done I guess?

Appreciate any help out there.

Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #2 Paul_308, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    That is a factory fuse block but could have been added by a Ferrari dealer for? On my car that fuse, located just above the fuse blocks, is protection for the cold start injector. But on an '79 is obviously otherwise.

I can't find it on the drawing but can you do me a favor, locate what is on the other ends of those blue/white wires (i.e. do they go to a relay or to ?) and I'll chase it for you. Blue/white wire is generally the windshield wiper circuit but who knows? at this point.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    A minor nit (that doesn't make any operational difference because they are all connected together anyway), but the yellow (G) wire should be connected to the top of fuse #1 and the yellow/black (GN) wire should be connected to the top of fuse #3 (i.e., the wire order at the top of the fuses starting from the leftmost side should be yellow, azure, yellow/black).

4. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks much for both replies. I will try to see if I can follow the blue/white wire.

Also, Steve, thanks for noticing the other (order of wires). I will switch these.

On the old fuse block it was obvious it was messed with a bit and one of the connector tabs was broken, so I'm sure the PO did some cut and paste to make things work.

5. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Just as a follow up, I couldn't practically follow the blue/white wire mentioned. It goes into the main bundle and is wrapped, so short of a fairly intense tracing, not an easy task - and Lord knows I have a lot of tasks in front of me to get my car on the street this spring. Anyway, not sure what it serves. As you indicated it is a factory wire and that old funky fuse, which was still good. So left all alone.

Steve, the wire switch you mentioned is fused differently, so I appreciate the notice there.

After the replacement I switched power on, no fuse blow outs or sparks - so I take that as a good sign thus far.

Thanks again for the help.

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve

*** Disconnect the add-on fuse and see what DOESN'T work, that will tell you where it goes, with the least effort.

7. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    OK, this is kinda funny. This wasn't really my interest, just trying to put my fuse block back together in a proper manner (which hopefully, it is now). Another member was interested in what "exactly this wire is for" not me.

So, considering I don't have any interior in my car right now (anybody have a black carpet set for sale???? - reasonably priced), I have bigger fish to fry!

Thanks for your input though!

8. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Think that was me. Since I'm playing guardian over the many variations of 308 diagrams, my ears
    perk up at all anomalies. Those being when something surfaces which I can't find listed, to me it
    is a giant puzzle.

The fact that those wires are factory bundled and a factory fuse holder is used, and those wire
    colors don't correspond to know components, and that others haven't chimed in with an answer
    about the fuses function. Unsolved mystery. I would just ask that you post if you learn anything
    on down the road.

Guess you've discovered that with seats out, you can lay on your back in the cabin for hours and
    peruse the vagarities of Ferrari. I recently picked up a new camera with ultra wide lens, and only
    wish I had it back when to photograph the underside of my dash. Still haven't figured out several
    boxes plus my seat belt buzzer and other such components.

Good luck and enjoy that interior redo...it truly is rewarding.

9. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Yeah this afternoon, I started putting in the center consoles, and just sat inside for awhile enjoying the room without any seats, wondering if I should put the floor carpet in before the console. Hmmm, I think the consoles go in now....particularly since I haven't bought a carpet set yet and need to feel like I accomplished something today.

I have to say although it is nice to be nearing the end of my restoration process, I don't particularly enjoy the interior work, . But with newly upholstered bits, it is starting to have that new car smell again!

Anyway, I will definitely keep you in mind if I figure out exactly that wire does. Thanks for your interest.

10. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
  11. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    That is a good idea, but unfortunately I already proceeded. I drilled each hole out to a slightly larger diameter (the original ones were tiny - amazing they held at all), and put in about a small sheet metal screw and they snugged up pretty well - but definitely didn't overtorque.

Did I mention I HATE INTERIOR WORK. The fasteners are just crap, and you are always working with these flimsy plastic and fiberglass, tiny screws and clips. I get the feeling that they ran out of budget at this time, and had to scavenge shop scraps.

So I am trying to improve here and there so you don't have to tip toe out of the shop at night hoping some little flimsy connection doesn't pop off. On the fuse block cover the the little ball stud that the cover clips in and out of, completely shelled out, so I spent about an hour fabricating a small aluminum patch, and riveting it in to the fiberglass. So now 4 rivets in a metal plate (with the stud now embedded in metal) replaces one tiny crappy screw.

It is nice to see my interior come together and the nice finish you get gives a good sense of accomplishment, but my New Year's resolution to cut down on the F word is not holding so well.