News

79 308 Headlight Electrical Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by John Ferrara, Dec 2, 2017.

1. John Ferrara

John Ferrara Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John Ferrara
    The right headlight would not come up. I removed the headlight motor and it checked out fine. I reinstalled the headlight motor and it went up and down for a few times but again the headlight stopped working.
    Now it blows the fuse every time I install the the relay for the headlight circuit. I tested the relay and it was fine. I disconnected the headlight switch and it still blows the fuse. I disconnected the the headlight motors, left and right, and it still blows the fuse. Has anyone had this type of problem? Any help is appreciated.

2. thorn

thorn Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If the fuse is the correct size, then I suspect you have a short somewhere. Grab a meter, test the amps, and start looking for a frayed wire or similar issue.

3. John Ferrara

John Ferrara Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John Ferrara
    Thanks for the response, it nice to know that some else is thinking the same and I think your correct. But i haven't been able to find it.I also think it may be between the left fan circuit and the headlight circuit. because when I install the fan relay, the fan comes on with the ignition off. So I must have a short between the two systems. Just cant find it.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Owner Consultant

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'd start by checking all the wires that either flex, or are are rubbed by the right headlight mechanism.

5. John Ferrara

John Ferrara Rookie

Dec 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    John Ferrara
    Thanks, all the wires at both headlight look good no worn spots. it must be under the fuse and relay panel. I will start there. It going to be a fun one