'79 308 restoration | Page 44 | FerrariChat

'79 308 restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    he has not sold, and frankly, the offer is insulting....that car should have never hit flee bay anyway....ebay is the dollar store..everyone wants a deal....or should i say steal

Im sure Paul will get his 6 figures soon enough, i heard through the grapevine there are 3 interested parties. Good Luck Paul....but your still nuts if you let it go for under 100k...i would drive it to the ground first and then sell it like everyone else does at 30K ;)

2. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    It's way too much for a 308! Eventhough every single bolt is restored very nicely, I don't think it'll sell. For 6 figures you can easily buy a 365 GTC/4 which will be worth a lot more in a couple of years than an overproduced 308.

3. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Harsh words, we not get any last night?

4. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    plenty, don't worry, but it's true isn't it?
    Still it's by far the best 308 out there, lots of respect for Paul Newman, he did a great job! I enjoyed reading the article in Froza Magazine in which he refered to Ferrarichat.com lots of times.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #1080 Martin308GTB, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    the six figures refer to USD. And I'm pretty sure that you don't get a DECENT C/4 for EUR 75k.
    You are from Belgium; so sou also have to consider the different views of Europeans and Americans regarding overrestored cars.

I'm sure, he will get good money for that car. Problem could be, that it isn't completely original any more. It's still a US version, altered regarding some details.
    And that may be important for serious collectors.
    Interested people, who are looking for a nice driver will look elsewhere. Miles and history may be more important for those.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    no, if that would have been the case, the bid would have jumped up to the reserve.

Best Regards

Martin

7. realbogus

realbogus Rookie

May 5, 2007
    San Pedro, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I just found my way to the thread.

The article is truly inspiring. The car is about nearly perfect.

You should be proud of your workmanship and dedication.

However... keep the damned thing... :)

8. Chapel

Chapel Rookie

Oct 6, 2005
    Salem MA
    Full Name:
    Jared
    wow, what a brilliant build.
    I feel like I just watched an entire television series from pilot to series finale in 20 minutes. I can't imagine having followed it from the beginning. I hate waiting for updates :D

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks guys but the car found a new home, I couldnt ask for a better caretaker.

10. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I knew that would sell... too nice to not sell. Wish the buyer was me but alas I am property rich and money poor now.

11. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    So who is the new owner? Anyone on here?

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    BernieB I think is his user name and he started a thread in december I think. The title of the thread mentioned his new baby arrived or something like that and mentioned it was my old 308 etc....its in great hands.

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #1088 Jdubbya, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266419

:)

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    This guy?

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266419

3 posts and he's done. Probably busy enjoying it! :D

15. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    The weather finally eased off long enough for the roads to become drivable around here. Put about 200Km on the car Saturday and Sunday. She pretty much drives like a new car. Lots of get up and go, no rattles, shifts beautifully and corners like a go kart. All the switchgear works flawlessly. The car is a riot and i love it. Paul is my hero!

16. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Congrats Bernie, that's one magnificent car you've got your hands on there and great to see you're enjoying it. :D What a pity half you guys live where you can only drive them a few months of the year.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They last twice as long this way!

You're welcome Bernie, im glad you're happy!

18. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Yep, we can't drive our ferraris or golf for half the year. It's tough in the summer too, I could never decide whether to take my TR or the 360 to the golf course. Now I've got to decide between three of the damn things. Where is the complaint department?

19. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Wow Bernie congrats!! You're the proud owner of one of the, if not THE nicest 308s on the planet... Enjoy..

20. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Just a little follow up. Last winter I had Paul do the 3.4 litre upgrade to the 308. Now my little jewel has both beauty and brawn, I've nearly piled it up a few times. It's a great car, it's still tight a few years post-resto and now it has the thrust a car like this deserves. I am so glad I bought this car. In other news....Paul is now putting a crate M motor in my '90 testa rossa as well as Fuchs exhaust, I'm excited about that.(see thread in boxer/tr section) Merry Christmas and good health to all of you.

21. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    AAAAHHHH, how times have changed...

Reviewing this thread, you can see how much work was done to this 308 by Newman.

WOW! I remember thinking that the ebay auction sold at $73k with all that work, thinking to myself "someone is crazy for paying that for that car even with all the work!"

Man, times have changed!

Here's the for sale/sold thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/262618-now-308-no-reserve.html

Looks like the last owner put a 3.4 L in it and has not logged on since 2014.

James in Denver

22. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk