'79 308GTS popping in Carbs and exhaust | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'79 308GTS popping in Carbs and exhaust

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thevirginiadude, May 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Just a suggestion to simplify your problem. Most people disconnect and chuck the R1 sets of points from each distributor. They only work at idle anyway.

How much will the owner take for the car as it sits? Seriously! Tell me what the compression is on the car and I'll make an offer.

I know the odometer reads low but it's only a 5 digit OD so it doesn't mean much unless all of the miles are documented.

DJ

2. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA
    I think he is looking for $35,000 He never gave a solid price to me, which I think is quite a stretch as it sits. I know it needs the 30,000 mile major service.......he was very unhappy with the price the dealer quoted and I was not too gung ho to want to do it either as my time is limited due to other obligations. I could use the money but thats a very big job to attempt with only a few hours a night free and not every weekend.

I have known the guy for about 7 years. And I do know it sits in a heated garage. And has never seen snow and rarely if ever rain. But the leather seats are seriously in need of a conditioner and a redye, they are dry but not cracked, and some of the color is scuffed off of the drivers seat as a result.

Speeod stopped in the last week, I assume the odometer was working before that but can't testify to it. Water temp stopped working around the time I was balancing and adjusting Carbs. Why? I don't know, haven't looked into it. other guages are working fine. Its Silver with the red leather interior has new tires. But NONE of the factory Smog equipment, and it is a US spec car.

He doesn't trust or even like the local shops.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It would have to be perfect mechanically and concours inside and out otherwise to command such a price, even then a bit of a stretch with today's market on 308's.

Is the interior the dark red? If so a good color combo.

DJ

4. thevirginiadude

thevirginiadude Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Fairfax County, VA
    Not sure how dark the dark red is on these, I have had very little exposure to these. My best guess is its more of a medium red. Its nowhere near as dark as a burgundy even a lighter one.

Its not concours, Its nice shape but not incredible shape.......but it also has no visible rust and I have been under the car. But that proves nothing since I never really went looking for it either.

I really have little idea what the market price on these is. But I am sure he is trying to find out himself.

And no it hasn't been dealer serviced regularly either.