79 Lamborghini Countach LP400s. | FerrariChat

79 Lamborghini Countach LP400s.

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by SMS, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Here is chassis #1121086, one of 40 built in 79. It had just 1018 miles on it when I sold it in 2000. A time warp car, completely original, even tires and wiper blade (stored in boot)! The air cleaner boxes are off for the photo as I had just rebuilt the Webbers and fixed some leaking fuel lines. Despite the low mileage, I did drive it some and it caused quite a stir in our little town of 600 farmers! The current owner drove it in Oct. '03 for the first time since he bought it and thus it remains safely preserved in a nice collection today. (I do have right of first refusal if he ever sells it, this is one I should never have let go.)

Anyway, I thought some of you might like this little Italian.

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh man, thats awesome! If i buy another Countach, it will be a 400S.

5. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Very nice, I have '78 1121006, #2 of 10. I WISH mine had that little milage! Bravo wheels are the best! Peter

6. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #6 Peter K., Jan 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I absolutely LOVE those early low body cars. Rare and beautiful.
    Enjoy it. There is an enthusiast in Colorado who has a black 78
    with a web page. Nice car. The magnesium Bravo wheels are the best.

8. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
  9. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    Very nice gentlemen, but I have to ask, where's the [Hyundai] wing?!

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    NICE! WOW!, i really like the looks of the older countachs, in the age of wings on everything i think i prefer the "wingless" look on the car.i hope this is not a rude question, but what in what price ranges are the older , earlier countachs? dont the earlier cars have a issue with the engine and trans sharing the same oil???? ( last question) is there am easy way to fix or modernize this?. thanks, great post by the way. michael

11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    SMS & Peter - Both Very nice!

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thats a Muira, not Countach.

13. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I removed the wing within 24hrs after it was in my garage. I wish I could leave it but in my area, as well as most, wings have been ruined by the civics and integras etc. Oh by the way, my everyday exotic is a '93 civic coupe lol. Great for winter. As far as prices, in the 50's-100+. All depends on condition.

14. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    Peter where did you find your LP400? I see the occasional car show up on E bay but I really don't want to go that route.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ummm yes Allan it is, i said "countach without the wing" , the Muira is stunning also, and i am glad they never put a large wing on it as well. the wing on the early ( countachs ) seems to cloud the clean lines , where as its looks ok on say the later body style ( countachs). cool pic of early cars at the start of the thread!.

16. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Nothing wrong with buying a car off Ebay. But don't think for a minute you can just bid, win and recieve the car. You have to ask question and tons of them. Request dozens of pictures, detailed ones, request certain angles. And go see it, you can, before OR AFTER the auction. You tell them if you win, you want to inspect the car. You'll pay their fee if it nits what you want. You have to communicate with them on this. Usually their is no time to see it during the auction, especially if you have to fly. If they have nothing to hide, they'll work with you about this. Ebay feedback is golden.

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Peter K,

I saw your car on the Lamborghini Registry. It said your car was originally delivered to the Saudi Arabian royal family. Where you involved in the importation or was it in the USA when you bought it?

18. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    No, the car was brought over in the early/mid 80's. Also the info about the Suadi family I got was from the registry and I now believe it was the only car they had. I believe they had it for about 2 years. Because all ten cars are accounted for, nobody else mention the Saudis. Peter

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

UMMM no, the countach engine and tranny do not share the same oil. Thats the early Muira.

20. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Maybe a stupid question but don't tires age? As far as I know, tires dry up over time. And having original tires from 1979...wouldn't that be pushing one's luck? Especially if one starts driving a Countach (or any other performance car) the way they are meant to be driven?

Any opinions on this?

21. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    need4speed;

Yes, tires do age, which is the main reason I stayed on the low(ha) speed twisties instead of the interstate when out for a blast. One other note however, the car was stored very well and all the rubber components on this particular example were soft and serviceable.

22. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

Ron

23. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I think you are right allen, if i remember correctly the sv was the first to keep the oil seperate. I am not too sure about the original countach engine that powered the LP500 (Bob Wallace development car).In england the LP400 model and the 88.5 model with the skirts command top price even over the anniversary models-Is this true in the states?

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes. And i think the Anniversary is the worst looking Countach. My Favorite is the late 70's Lp400s and the 88 1/2 with the sideskirts.