812 diffuser leaning/tilting to the left? | FerrariChat

812 diffuser leaning/tilting to the left?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by gt_lusso, Oct 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login More people than just me who have noticed that something's off with 812s diffuser? Not all of them have this issue, but I've seen several 812s with a diffuser leaning to the left. I was out with an 812 yesterday, which had the same "problem" as observed earlier on other 812s.

I know this is a first world problem, and maybe something to not care about. But does anybody know something about this? Is there a reason for this? In my opinion, it makes the car look badly put together with a lack of quality, and the diffuser looks fragile.

2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    This would keep me up all night. I do hope it gets sorted as I will definitely not accept this when mine arrives

gt_lusso likes this.
  3. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Well, for a car in this price range, it should not be accepted.

motodavid2000 and Shack like this.
  4. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I initially thought I was going to spec the carbon fibre diffuser on the 812 which I think would camouflage the problem.I changed my mind because after much staring at photographs I decided I preferred the body coloured version.This "issue" may make me think again !!!
    I'm sure it will be sorted though.
    Incidentally I believe there was a problem with some of the standard diffusers on early 458 Speciales which I believe was sorted by the factory.I have the carbon fibre version on mine and no problems.

Shack likes this.
  5. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  6. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I asked my dealer about this and he pointed out that the diffuser is not fixed in a "solid" position. When I played with it it had quote a bit of maneuverability and was quite "pliable". Possibly the diffuser needs to move downwards the faster one goes and does not return to the exact same spot.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    If that is the case then Ferrari needs to fix that problem ..no reason it cannot remain level and true to its position..

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If it's so pliable by hand then I wonder how far it twists out of form when actually under force doing its job. Frankly it looks cheaply made.

gt_lusso likes this.
  9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    If you folks get a chance see for yourself. It seemed pretty pliable to me. I am sure doing its job its fine as its has limited movement, however it might not "come back to rest" in all instances correctly

10. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    This is unacceptable and there is no reason for the diffuser to be off like this. Seems like some BS coming from the dealer to cover up an engineering defect.

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth

Well hopefully u guys come up with a CF solution :)

Carbonio likes this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think a nice spirited drive will set it straight :)

Shack likes this.
  13. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    The diffuser is supposed to move according to down-force, speed and braking. This makes sense as this part is for aerodynamics and stability. I believe this is a case of function over form.

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Total nonsense. Show me one race car with a diffuser that moves like that. The diffuser is a fixed item to control the airflow under the car and as such requires a firm mounting.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Race cars have to follow regulations, have a different brief and may not be good examples for road cars aerodynamics - however it indeed seems that this part of the diffuser has no real reason to move (from 1'44):

16. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    The LaFerrari, 458 Speciale and 488 all have active diffusers.

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Correct they have accurate trap doors that open and close to control the airflow. There is a massive difference between that and an assembly that is crooked by a few degrees.

18. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The front whiskers on the 458 also used to move depending on wind driven speed.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looking at the promo video, it’s not the crooked diffuser that moves [ active] but rather some flaps under it, in a central position, the main diffuser should not be crooked.

check it out at 1.57 min in.

maximilien and Carbonio like this.
  20. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    What if there is no fix for this? Cars do go through quality control at the factory

21. Enzo91

Enzo91 Rookie

Aug 11, 2016
    They also always seemed to return back to their normal resting position when not at speed though. That is the issue OP is having. I don't think he cares whether or not the diffuser is supposed to move. He just wants it to return to a level, symmetrical position when the car isn't at speed.

Shack likes this.
  22. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Not
    Not convinced by your dealer’s reply. The “defective” ones always tilt down toward the left. If there was movement of the diffuser during driving wouldn’t you expect it either (1) to return to a level position after driving / returning to lower speeds or (2) if not made to return to level position to see a random distribution of tilts left and right. They always tilt to left if not level. When I was at Fiorano earlier this year there where four 812s. Each of them driven hard through the day. One had a properly tilting diffuser. Another had a slightly tilting diffuser. Both tilting to the left. And the other two had straight diffusers. The level of wonky tilt didn’t change through the two days. And the straight ones didnt change. All four were being subjected to constant spirited drives around Fiorano. So my money is on shonky / rushed build. Not an engineered in flex. If the item did flex you would think the marketing team would have made a point of it in the aerodynamic features promotional video.

gt_lusso likes this.
  23. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    You could be right and it would be interesting to know if current builds have he same issue or only the early builds?

24. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    For very early models existed a vibration problem in the diffuser that "could probably affect the position of it after being driven".
    The diffuser was cut a few milimiters (can't be noticed) and the the vibration problem in general was solved. So supposedly we won't see this anymore.

Caeruleus11, Shack, R J and 1 other person like this.
  25. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason