812 Market Dynamics | Page 31 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Yes and don’t forget every high OTR and typically PP Film also - add £5000 for many, free to second buyer.

MDEL likes this.
  2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Maybe yes, a bit of last V12 n/a hype yet again mixed again. I got mine to £360k with CDF (extra paint but not much), I find it hard when someone says do you want mediocre or special to be sensible

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    From the last two months, here are my USA observations. While many high spec (Rosso) 812's are somewhat discounted, they were not major discounts. I tried to purchase several at what I thought was a realistic deal for me and the dealer with several being consigned and dealer owned. I just could not get enough difference in price to what I could order exactly to my desires. I switched my F8 deposit to ordering a new 812. It became obvious when presented with an additional test drive between the F8 and the 812, I chose the 812. I have concluded that those who are trying to depress the USA Superfast 812 market are not doing so with first hand experiences ready to buy. It might have been just my choice of 812's. It has been a long journey and an enjoyable one but I cannot wait for my new 812 to be built and delivered GPFless and with such a sound that makes it hard to park. Test driving an 812 may be hazardless to your wallet! At this point it will be a keeper.

4. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    How do you know it will not have a GPF?

5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The service manager verified this for me.

6. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I did the same . I found some ready but of course not 100 % my desired spec and same price as you order new with my options. I’ve ordered new one as I wish and delivery will be June 2020. I’m afraid it will have GPF even if the sales man is not able to say anything about it . I heard the noise at idle of a GTS with GPF and of one SF without it , huge difference at idle . As soon as rev are rising up the noise is coming . I would definitely prefer without

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The info I received is the GTB was certified with 2018 EU requirements while the GTS will be 2021 requirements which include the GPF along with the F8.

8. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I strongly hope that . Believe me huge difference .

9. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    But as far as I know in Europe is as follows: new homologation 6d temp ( GPF required) are for new homologations starting from 1st of September 2018 and for new registration from 1st of September 2019 up to 31st of December 2020 . Starting from 2021 a new 6D homologation is required more restricted .

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @Gianfranco341
    I have heard this; but also I have heard the opposite - that ALL MY 2020 812 WILL have GPF- and yet- so far they don't appear to feature GPF. I am hardly an expert, but some of the members here know more and have posted about there is a way for them to continue to sell a % of volume of a car already in production before the January 1, 2020 date. So, I see it as there is a good chance your car will be GPF free.

I would look at it as if the car is delivered with GPF then it will have the higher power tune from the GTS (in order to overcome the power sapping nature of the GPF), and thus, someone somewhere will likely develop a way around the filter and you might end up with even more power- but you might have to wait..

Either way, congratulations to you both on your 812 SF orders- they are very special cars!

of2worlds, Bundy and tickerhound like this.
  11. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Thank you so much. I have to wait 6 months. It will be Corsa Red , red caliper and tachometer , mat grey wheels , scuderia Ferrari emblems on sides, black rear extractor , black exhaust ends, black leather inside , Daytona seats, red stitches , front elevator, front adaptive lights , red horses on head rests , powered hifi JBL , passenger display , carbon steering wheel with leds. , HELE..

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful! Suggestion- get the painted shields- they are expensive but very worth it. Once you've seen it, the standard enamel ones are just too small for the side of the 812.

Dicecal, paulchua, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  13. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Who cares is yesterdays business, might as well mourn UK steel or coal.

14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Interesting year. Demand for luxury goods declined even as other asset classes, e.g. equities, hit all-time highs. From WSJ today:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I wonder when / if the trend for used / classic Ferrari will eventually put some pressure on the new cars sales - currently it seems Ferrari dealers consider the customers should be begging for the right to spend considerable money on new cars, but I'm not sure it's a sustainable stance.

tres55 and JackCongo like this.
  16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very interesting world the one where we live. The best example of the classic car sales decline shown on your chart it was the weak auction sales at this year’s Monterey Car week. That's an example of how spending at the very top of the economic pyramid is shrinking. The total value of cars hammered was $245 million, a third less than in 2018.

However, for Ferrari at least in the European market, things look positive now and even better for the future. The chart below forecasts an expansion of Ferrari sales from 2020 onwards. I presume that this positive evolution will apply also integrally to the US market that represents together with Europe 60-70 % of Ferrari's global sales. The graph below shows also the evolution of the average price for sports cars from the brands listed in the chart. It forecasts that the average car price of 2019 will decline in 2020, 2021, 2022 and will recover only in 2023.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Good time to buy cars and sell stocks.

Thecadster and MDEL like this.
  18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have two issues I am trying to sort out here. Number one is that I am very tempted to buy slightly used because I can get a good spec for a lot less money than it would cost me up front with the new car. I spoke to my sales guy and he says they have an allocation for production in April that I could get and if it's not a spec with anything special, production would start soon thereafter. I am guessing delivery by June but not sure about that. Maybe someone on here could help me out there.

I can get a nice 2019 with 1200 miles for $380k on a $430k spec and for sure no GPF. That's a 12% savings and immediate gratification as far as driving pleasure goes. I am hoping that being second owner on the car won't matter when it comes time to getting a GTS allocation as that is what I am shooting for ultimately. I would like to spec the car differently from the one offered but not sure it's worth waiting. Decisions, decisions........

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I do know that buying new gives you more "credit" with Ferrari which may help your position for a GTS but ultimately the dealer can do things. Buy the used car but make it contingent on getting an early GTS and see how that goes.

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This particular car is on consignment so the dealer is not actually helped much by the sale and they have to take my 488 Spider which they already have a good number of. I know they benefit more from the order as does the factory so I already know they prefer the order. Maybe I do that contingent on the early GTS slot?

of2worlds likes this.
  21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That graphic is far too limited. The UK industry is resisting anything less than perfectly free trade with Europe, however, there is huge opportunity. EU vehicle imports to exports is something like a 5:1 ratio. The higher the duty on imports the more incentive for UK customers to buy locally plus the treasury nets a windfall with which it could assist the UK industry to survive given that all manufacturers are currently struggling with costs for new technology. In fact, you could go as far as to say without this the UK industry is on top of a slippery slope to oblivion. Protecting the status quo, as the industry is desperate to do, seems like a fallacy to me.

Since the EU did a trade deal with Japan all the UK plants for Japanese brands are starting to disappear, Vauxhall (ex GM Europe) is now owned by PSA who are planning to merge with FCA and there is great pressure on the Vauxhall plants which may well not survive. That leaves AM, JLR and Ford. Each have their issues. Brexit and a shuffling of the deck of cards seems like a beacon of hope rather than an existential threat.

There has also been much complaint about all the extra paperwork. My business imports around 30,000 vehicle component lines from outside of the EU. I have one guy dealing with import documentation and tariff coding. And we have to find him something else to do because that only takes half his time. As with everything to do with Brexit, too much information has been one-sided, sponsored by those with an agenda that is not necessarily about what is best for the UK. And used by people with a microphone who don’t understand what they are reading.

There is no doubt that duty on UK manufactured products sold in the EU is not helpful but it is not the whole issue. And there are plenty of examples of competitors doing extremely well even under WTO rules. We pay duty on most of the cars we sell and that makes up less than 5% of the retail price. Currency fluctuations are far more problematic, and since the 2016 referendum UK manufacturers have had a currency boost that far outweighs any duty costs that may become payable. Since that time emissions fines have become much tougher. Finding ways to avoid those is a far higher priority than the duty issue. This is more complex than an incomplete diagram can analyse.

22. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Not that surprising really. If the stock market is up then it's because people are putting money into it. If they're putting money into the market then they're not putting that money into other goods. When the market goes down it's because people are taking their money out. They have to put it somewhere so often investments in durable goods (like art, gems, wine, and cars) go up. It's not a perfectly inverse relationship but it's also not surprising to see.

dustman and wrs like this.
  23. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Excellent note thanks

24. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Not my diagram

Lukeylikey likes this.
  25. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    GPF will be from 1 jan 2020 for new type approvals and from 1 jan 2021 for all new registrations.

That's why 812GTS will have gpf but 812SF will not.

Gianfranco341 and Caeruleus11 like this.