Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fantastic, right until the moment a bird Kamikaze dives into your face at 120mph.

crinoid and nigel allen like this.
  2. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    this.

was extremely excited when I first saw the photos but turns out it's a bit of a joke of a car and really is an 812 in a dress.

the SLR sterling moss was -200kg +90hp on the SLR and cost much less.

j09333 and nigel allen like this.
  4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the cover doesn't look great but adding the second seat and roll bar etc etc only adds 20kg so there's no real point in buying an SP1 anyway over the 2

elmadi and NeilF8888 like this.
  5. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    CAN’T wait! VERY much looking forward to that, Mr. Massini!

Can you share the timing of a more formal announcement/release? Thank you for that little (big) teaser!

6. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Bas, you just killed that marvelous moment my brain was imagining. I hate you. I'm currently spitting pièces of bird feathers.

7. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Add mosquitos and flies and u will really be happy

Still a stunner of a car and SP2 the go IMO - at least wife can enjoy :)

nigel allen and bwshihtzu like this.
  8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Of course, he does. I think it’s fantastic, and was under the impression that it’s closer to half of $3M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Well that is a strong opinion...! I think the SLR Stirling Moss was not particularly beautiful and was based on mechanicals that were pretty uninspiring (especially in the gearbox and brakes department).
    The Monza is the latest in a series of gorgeous Ferraris -in my opinion the Pista is the most beautiful V8 Ferrari made in the last 20 years- and confirms the design direction the company took after Pininfarina (of which I am a huge fan). The mechanicals of the 812 are the best available in any car of this class and this is very different from the SLR which was mechanically dated the day it went on sale. I would have liked an even lighter Monza with a carbon tub, but even as it is now, it is the most desirable car I have seen in a long time...I would be very proud to have one next to my TDF

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great looking car....but I know what it feels like to be hit in the face by an insect at ~100mph. Dread to think what a pebble/bird would feel like at higher speed...

LARRYH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That would be epic! Limited edition or available to the unwashed (by Ferrari standards) masses?

T

of2worlds likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I agree it's the most beautiful car we've seen in awhile from Ferrari, I suppose it comes down to my personal obsession with value for money- performance/styling/exclusivity

the 812 is mechanically at the top of its game, no doubt about that. but you are paying a hefty premium on top, using the Sterling Moss as a very relevant example of weight reduction (bodywork was reduced and lighter materials were used but also a larger air brake and a couple of other bits were added yet it still came in at -200kg), I think it's fair to be surprised/disappointed that no weight was saved.

investment potential aside:

a 1-1.5m 812 monzo @ 1300kg +50hp - yes please!
    a 1-1.5m 812 monzo @ standard 812 weight/power, no thanks!

it's just a psychological thing for me, if the 488 pista was purely body styling and nothing more but still at the same price, I wouldn't be interested

I don't blame anyone for buying one though, they look wonderful, good investment potential and will be an experience to drive on the road to say the least!

j09333, Roland1688 and KenU like this.
  13. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Well said. In just a few years, I suspect that enthusiasts will hold the current decade of Ferrari design and tech in very high regard. I’ve owned an F430 (gated manual) and 612 OTO, and marvel at how far the current cars have progressed in such a short time. It’s a quantum leap in nearly every aspect.

If the near future is really 60% hybrid due to regulatory and environmental pressures, the current models may become even more desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Needs a halo...

fil and Bas like this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Definitely a lot of Jaguar in it

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I get your point although I’m under the impression that the car will be lighter than a 812, although not by 200kg.
    I don’t believe cars are investments (neither were tulips!) so I m not focused on that aspect. I think the comparison should be against other special Ferraris like an F40 or a F50. Is this car more special than those true Ferrari giants? That is the question and that is how I would personally value it.

Of course we should all realise that the new Ferrari client base currently being emerging globally from the current economic cycle don’t necessary have the same understanding of Ferrari history as some people on this forum and some wouldn’t buy a F40 if it was half the price. As a result they may value a Monza much higher for its looks, exclusivity and power. If they do, that determines its value...In my view Ferrari has done a remarkable job adapting the brand to the current times, even though some old timers like me sometimes feel left behind!

I still want one though

LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and JagShergill like this.
  17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I hope you are right...My fear is no one will be driving in 10 years. Self driving cars and a new generation that doesn’t care about getting a driving license (most of my daughter’s classmates didn’t get a driving license when they turned 18 this year) will reduce the number of enthusiasts dramatically...these cars will be more desirable to us, but WE will be less desirable to everyone else!!

MrFloppi and Makuono like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    elmadi and Roland1688 like this.
  19. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    Drivers at the presentation:
    Monoposto - Raffaele di Simone
    Biposto - Dario Benuzzi - (I don't remember when was the last time the legendary test driver was participating in a presentation) Co driver :Enrico Galliera

20. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  21. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Photos by IG account of Mr Alex Read

22. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    What rosso could this be? We can see it's metallic, possibly 3 layer. Fuoco, TRS...?

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Thanks buddy - hope so but I fear will be too limited numbers for me to be offered ..
    :-(

24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Never had a bird crash into my windscreen. So, without a windscreen the chances are even slimmer ;)

No, seriously, I guess integral helmet is possibly the way to go because of the bugs. And who knows, maybe for smaller bugs the "virtual windscreen" does even work.

elmadi and G. Pepper like this.