Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Money being no object, I would probably buy a red SP2, just for the fun of it. Would drive it once a year, or so. Being a rather more rational man though, I understand that this is a marketing exercise. For £1.5 million, I expect a carbon chassis, at least!

PS: Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

elmadi, Camlet1, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  2. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Cheers.

3. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I said no too. Perhaps one day I will regret... who knows?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Camlet1 and of2worlds like this.
  4. jeffmoore

jeffmoore Karting

Feb 19, 2011
    I said no as well, im still sometimes think why did i say no as i really like the car ;-)

But ar this pricepoint i think too many fun alternatives to do with the same money

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  5. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Buy just for the unique v12 other brand don’t offer this engine and design, v8 turbo for sport cars or hypercar is the limit of development like mclaren or Aston with Amg engine. Wait for next hybrid engine Ferrari you forget industrial carbon chassis

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I would say yes. My only issue would be to drive it on the road. It seems it would be easier to do so in Europe. So i would say yes, and keep the car in Europe. In the US, it seems it will not be road legal..

But definitely yes. It's the most beautiful Ferrari this side of a classic (275, Daytona, Lussos etc..). The Supercars cant compare in beauty. They might be more desirable as a whole, but beauty wise, no way. I love the black over red.

7. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    #732 Camlet1, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    I’m horribly 50/50 right now. My Heart is screaming say yes to the invitation you idiot (I absolutely adore Mr Mazoni’s remarkable design and I already have a beautiful heritage spec in mind).

My Head however is rolling its eyes saying, are you serious?

Compared to the engineering uniqueness of the LaF, Enzo or F50, for example, the Monza while a glorious homage uses the 812 as its base.

It’s a series too, not a one off; and with several new releases over a short time. So the market will be relatively awash with models. Yet the series I understand sits below future hypercar models.

That the Monza will be second highest priced production car Ferrari has ever made (only the LaFA was more) removes the usual punch required for Heart to KO Head.

I’m being pushed for an answer so will need to make a decision. But I’m very nervous, which is uncharacteristic, and feels weird.

bwshihtzu, JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That sounds like a good excuse for another look at that black over red beauty created by Mr Manzoni >

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi, JagShergill, F2003-GA and 3 others like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and Camlet1 you will likely get to hang out with these guys at the 'hand over' visit!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

elmadi likes this.
  10. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Stop it! o_O:D

of2worlds likes this.
  11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I can see your point but i do not think financially you would lose money (i.e it wouldnt fall under MSRP) provided we do not go into another 07 recession. Also, even if i am wrong, it's unlikely it would drop that much below MSRP, right? Even GTOs are still hovering around MSRP for the ones with xx,xxxx miles.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If a guy like you is very nervous then thats your answer right there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camlet1 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Just some random thoughts:
    Yes the base is the 812. But, the 812 drivetrain would be at home in a supercar. The chassis is altered (stiffer). No its not a CF tub. But the weight is likely lower than LF. The other side of this is who else could be crazy (canny?) enough to make such a car? No roof, no physical windshield. Thats crazy! Its also really beautiful! This is literally rolling sculpture. Done by the very best.

Just imagine what they will ask for the eventual LF replacement.

Also the F60 America was considerably more expensive. I'm not sure how you count that. It was only 10 cars.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but how much longer will this large capacity NA V12 be around? I don't think its a secret there is something special about any NA V12. And this is a Ferrari V12. And we can argue, but in the modern era at least, I think this is their finest engine- which is really saying something! Will they evolve it further? I don't know but I think there is a good chance this is it.

I doubt they will truly flood the market. There will be the same number Monzas as LF coupe, but if you include the Aperta, there will be more LF. The other side of the point regarding these cars being a series is we know Icona will come to an end- unlike the supercar series, which (hopefully!) shall run in perpetuity. I would expect the next Icona to be sufficiently different.

I suspect some of your anxiety is the fact there is no established track record for this series. Perhaps its a little bit like what someone thinking about a 288 GTO was thinking when they released that? Or F40? I remember the doubt surrounding the F40. Yes, there was doubt. Some publications stated it made no sense because it was too hard for the street and too soft for the track and the Testarossa was far better looking...

I wish you well in making this difficult decision. One thing you can be sure of: you are fortunate to be in this position.

My best wishes to everyone for joyous holidays and a wonderful new year!

elmadi, F140C, bwshihtzu and 2 others like this.
  15. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I felt exactly like you for the exact same reasons... I’ll be very interested to know your final decision!

JagShergill and Camlet1 like this.
  16. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Thanks buddy. Much appreciated. Wishing you a great Christmas; have a healthy, happy and successful 2019.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Cheers. Very best for the Holidays, and beyond.

elmadi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Isn't a car meant to be more about the driving experience than the appearance?

elmadi likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It is only 20 kilos lighter than an 812; not even close to a LaFerrari, which packs an extra 153 HP to boot!
    Also the V12 will be evolved on future models. At the end of the day, this is just a custom body 812...

Solid State likes this.
  20. maximilien

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Like senna with 720 s same v8 turbo for 200k dollar or 2 mil dollars

21. maximilien

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Monza is glory features of the past like engine or chassis with modern development it’s new philosophy

elmadi, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  22. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    if they come with an icona every 2 years.. There is a possibility of losing its appeal. I think the production numbers needed to be more limited ( depends on what car it will based). And in the future we could see more barchetta type iconas, hope next time they'll add windshields.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Road legal problems in the USA will have an impact on it's value in the long run, albeit maybe all of today's road legal cars will all be illegal in 15 -20 years anyway.

It may be the last V12 without hybrid power from Ferrari so there is that.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    elmadi, bwshihtzu and of2worlds like this.