Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    It’s no wonder it won the award in Paris. It is impossibly beautiful. I can only think of Ferraris as beautiful but none that are more beautiful, I really love its looks that much. I think it is the most enjoyable car to look at (not just Ferrari) since the F40, and maybe even since the 250 GTO.

I also agree that the Pista is the best looking mid V8 for some time. Maybe also since the F40.

There used to be lots of comments from people bemoaning the end of the Pininfarina era. I don’t remember the last Pinifarina car as beautiful as SP1/2. Maybe F40 but if not that, have they ever since 250 GTO was Scaglietti?

Caeruleus11, bwshihtzu and stavura like this.
  2. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Believe the comments have gone up if anything. All a matter of opinion.

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I personally love the older PF & newer FM/FCS designs equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All Ferraris are special. :)

elmadi, stavura, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think some of the PF team came over to FDC so I think its hard to say. I like @Solid State 's comment. They really are all special. And I think different ones speak to different personalities and also maybe different sides of our personality. These Monzas are very very beautiful. For whatever its worth, I think the 458 Italia and the 488 Pista are the best looking of the series- one very very clean, feminine, sensual and the other far more aggressive but still very smooth and sexy. I think @George330 makes a great point about the 250 Lusso. While the engine in that car is really phenomenal, its really known for its beautiful shape. Its possible the Monza will be viewed the same way decades from now. We will need the benefit of time to really know, but one thing is for sure right now: it's a stunner!

Solid State, stavura, Shack and 2 others like this.
  8. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  9. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I have to admit I initially dismissed this model as a bit "silly" but the more I see it the more I like it.
    Really hope some are used on Mille Miglia Tribute would be perfect.

bwshihtzu and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I guess the problem with this car has been the lack of homologation in the US (probably worth 30% of its global production). Europe appears to have enough demand, but I haven’t heard anything about Asia etc. I suspect this will be one of those cars that people with think “I wish I had bought it when I was offered” 5 years from now...It is hard to produce cars of such beauty inside modern regulations and the combination of a shape with no weak angles, the crazy lack of windscreen (I am sure no such car will ever be homologated for road use in the future) and the glorious V12 will make it an instant classic. I spent a lot of time thinking this through, but I have never been more certain of any car purchase...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts

I am sure you won't regret it.

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    For me the lack of windscreen and not being road legal were the deal breakers.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I 100% agree with you George.

bwshihtzu likes this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I completely agree. And if you really intend to drive the thing (Which most people do not), just keep it at any of the European Ferrari dealer or any other storage places that are all over Europe. And go drive it every other month. You take the car out for a week end trip and it will have more miles than most LaFerraris in the US market 5 years on.
    I also dont think it will ever go lower than MSRP (unless we get into a 2007 recession again..). Anyway, this is my opinion and it's completely biased as i think this car is the most beautiful Ferrari since the 1960s cars.

elmadi, Boomhauer, stavura and 3 others like this.
  15. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

In a word, stunning. I have this livery on my 70th F12 but just how much more appropriate it is on the Monza.

16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I can’t wait to drive it! Who cares about the miles...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

stavura, Makuono, bwshihtzu and 2 others like this.
  17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did Pininfarina do many concepts though? Not exactly fair to compare PF road cars to the Monza, which is arguably a concept car that would be a sales flop as a normal model.

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Concept car? It's a model to be produced and sold. The number will be higher than some PF cars and lower than others. It's a perfectly fair comparison in my view.

19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What? How would it be a sales flop? By what standard? How many Eur 1.8m cars do they need to sell for it not to be a flop? No one knows how many were sold at this point.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #846 noone1, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    What I meant was that Ferrari had generally not approached PF and told them to create a cars without a windscreen, that didn't need to be legal in the US, that didn't need to have two seats, and that cost $2M. PF was largely tasked with designing cars that would be legal everywhere, usually not collectible, and generally not that expensive.

I mean, the Monza can't even be driven in the rain. I'm sure PF would has whipped out some gorgeous sculptures if their requirements was merely that it looked good and didn't actually have to be usable. The only thing they did was that weird Sergio car which was built on the wrong platform to begin with -- the 458.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    By the standards that PF was largely tasked with building cars to meet, namely selling thousands and thousands of cars per year, every year, all around the world at much lower prices.

How can you compare the design requirements for a car like the Monza to a car like the 599, or even the Enzo? Completely different restrictions and requirements.

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    This car only needs (allegedly) a windscreen to be US legal. It is (again allegedly) road legal everywhere else. So I dont think a windshield would ruin the car that much that it would go from gorgeous to meh. Not that i dont like PF cars or that i love Ferrari's cars (I hate the Portofino, dont care for the 812) but the Monza is an absolute masterpiece with or without a windshield. If they sell the 500, then it would be comparable to an Enzo..So not sure how much different the restrictions would be?

I get your point re PF being tasked to design a car with a semi carte blanche vs having to design cars that are homologable every where/built in the xxxx but i still dont see how it would be a sales flop as a normal model?

furoni likes this.
  23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #849 noone1, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    When I say normal model, what I mean to say is a normal volume model. The Monza can likely never sell 2000 cars per year for 5 years because it's simply too impractical. It can only exist as a very limited car with a high price to reflect the exclusivity. I can be successful at $2M a piece with a limit of 500 or something like that, but the car would be a flop if it was $400K and unlimited production. Likewise, I bet they could have sold way more Enzos or LF nowadays if they had unlimited production.

It is designed to be a seldom used, very expensive, "rare", collectible car. This is why it can incorporate so much of the design elements that it does.

I think a good example would be the SLR and the SLR Stirling Moss. I don't believe the SLR Stirling Moss could have existed on its own at the same price and volume as the SLR. I think it would have barely sold at all.

Apropos the windscreen, I'd be surprised if those tail lights were legal in North America either. I've never seen any lights like that and I'd think manufacturers would love to make tail lights as small and cost effective as possible.

24. bwshihtzu

bwshihtzu Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2014
    Arizona
    For what it's worth (nothing) I must say I'm completely jealous of anyone lucky enough to see the SP1 or SP2 in person, and even more jealous of those fortunate enough to wake up with the possibility of taking her out for a drive. Just an absolute masterpiece (with the exception of the not US road legal issue) of design. Please keep the posts coming. Looking forward to eventually hearing from owners about driving impressions.