812 Oil Consumption | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by racerdj, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Same thing happened with mine. Low oil when I bought it with 1 prior owner 900 miles and he hadn’t had oil changed.

2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yeah but think of the warranty issues they would have to pay for. Poor strategy for making money . I know you're joking. Probably just attention to detail which seems to be lacking at times at the factory.

I talked to a service tech and he is saying when they do the oil change they dont shoot for halfway on the dipstick but just at the minimum line. He kept repeating to not fill above that if I did it manually. Lots of issues as noted in previous posts with excess oil. Whether it is halfway or minimum why make the measurement higher for max considering the possible issues?? It sounds like somewhere below the max should be the actual max level.

MB224 and Solid State like this.
  3. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    What a procedure - tried to check the oil this morning but couldn´t reach the right oil temperature in 20 min.

So I`m gonna do it again when there is more time for a longer drive...

4. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I didn’t check oil level on mine when it has been delivered . I checked after 1500 km and oil level was lower minimum sign . I added 1 lt and it went between min and max . I have 2500 km now and oil level is still there . No oil consumption in last 1000 km . I don’t know if oil level was already low on delivery

Dubaicity likes this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    A little relief here as the Service Manager confirmed that indeed the oil level from the factory is not full. Be careful to not overfill or even bring it up to the full mark. I was also informed that there are baffles in the oil tank area and that when filling, put one quart in and then recheck per the book. I was also advised that the oil level should be filled only to just above the add mark. Logically this does not make sense to me as why we have a full line.
    I second the statement on the color of the dipstick as it is not easy to read!!!

6. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    I thought they are kidding me: "adjust the air condition to lowest temperature and full speed ventilation" - why that?

Napoli likes this.
  7. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I don’t know why . I can suppose to try to have an oil heat but it is of no use because A/C system is very limited due to weight issue . In fact above 24 centigrade degrees of external as l temperature the system is swapping on self circulating because the compressor is not strong enough to allow air coming inside from outside

Dubaicity likes this.
  8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Ferrari voodoo.

Dubaicity likes this.
  9. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    jajaja "after checking recirculation function is activated put on the tin foil hat"

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I don't know about the strange procedure for checking the oil level but I just checked my oil and the car has been sitting after a drive back from the tennis club for an hour now. It is now below the MIN level but not by much so I don't want to add more oil at this point, 3 qts seems enough to me.

11. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    Here you go:

1. Switch on the air conditioning, set the temperature to LOW and the
    fan speed to MAX.
    2. Check that the recirculation function is activated.
    3. Run the engine until the engine oil temperature has reached 92 - 94
    °C.
    4. Run the engine at between 4000 and 4250 RPM for 1 minute.
    5. Leave to idle for 2 minutes and then (before the 3rd minute elapses)
    check the oil level
    6. Remove the filler cap A, remove the dipstick F and check the
    level: the level must be between the MIN and MAX notches on the
    dipstick.
    7. If the level is low, top up with the recommended oil and make sure
    you do not fill beyond the MAX level on the dipstick.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Part of me reads that oil check procedure and thinks ‘I am glad the engineers are removing as many variables as possible to get an accurate measurement.’
    The other part of me thinks ‘that is ridiculous.’
    With my 911, as long as the engine is warm and level, you can check it on the dashboard (mine is one of those with insensate losses that needs periodic top-offfs).

wrs likes this.
  13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    What effect does removing the oil filler cap have with the measured level?

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    2777 miles and I had no idea , or no issues.

Emailed my service advisor for their comment.

of2worlds and Thecadster like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I don’t doubt this is the proper procedure, but am I alone thinking this to be completely absurd?

16. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    No you’re not alone plus it doesn’t note that true max level is apparently lower than what is indicated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gliazzurri likes this.
  17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No you are not alone. I think it's fine to drive the car and then check it after the car has been at rest a few minutes. That should let all the oil drain back down for the proper reading and the oil will still be warm enough to have the correct volume.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    With a remote oil reservoir and no engine sump the procedure is detailed but basically you check it while hot and running. I think this mimics real world engine level when driving as there is a lot of plumbing for the oil to travel through. If you don't have the oil flowing then the level on the stick would likely be irrelevant.

wrs and flash32 like this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    OK so I checked it with the car running and warmed up, the level is a little higher than minimum whereas when the car was not running it was a little below. Not sure what to make of that but there is a slight difference, not enough to really matter though.

Napoli likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Whelp.
    Now I’m pissed.
    Thank you FChat (once again) for providing me invaluable advice.
    Because of this thread I thought I’d check my oil, but since I had my annual service in June, and about 500 miles ago, it would be fine...right?
    So...went for a drive, get oil temp to about 200F, 4100 rpm for 1 min (surprisingly hard to do), a/c on (of course, Florida), 2 min idle...remove cap and check dipstick...dry as a bone...add 1 qt...repeat...dry as a bone...add 1 qt..repeat dry as a bone...add 1 qt repeat...add 1 qt and repeat...now showing oil at bottom of dipstick.
    Call dealer thinking I must be screwing up..”you are checking oil correctly..but...weird...we’ve never had 812s consuming oil (classic dealer line..’you’re unique fool’).“
    Figuring I must be down 6 qts!
    Oh...had annual service in June (did I mention that?) and all was “good.” Of course, they didn’t actually change the oil, you know, 2500 miles and “predictive maintenance” and all that ********. They changed pollen filters and smacked me on the butt...”all is well chump”...happy motoring asshat.
    Goddamnit!
    I’ve had it!

MB224 and Solid State like this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Despicable. I will not let them treat Mr. Swagglesmith with such disregard. :mad:

23. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    OK I'm reading all of the above comments as a non 812 owner thinking, really. In a $400K sports car? I like to tinker, see the oil smell the oil etc. as much as the next gearhead. Let's face it though. Checking and adding oil, like manually checking tire pressures is a PITA. Why not make use of sensors and modern technology? This really seems crazy.

MB224 and Napoli like this.
  24. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    No, it's fairly normal during break-in, things need to expand and tighten up. Pretty much all Ferraris consume oil, hrll all NA high revving engines are bound to, but barely anyone even bothers to do the most basic checks, so that's why people get surprised and in desbelief of this..

Get the break in service done and try to see if your Ferrari service can find an approved oil with high esther content.

25. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    This is crazy...mine is the dealer on consignment and I am going to ask them to check It since it’s at 4K miles. My GTS is only at about 500 but will be doing the check today. . I know less is more when it comes to oil but 6 qts?! Almost like someone forgot to top off fluids at delivery in the states. So weird.