812 Oil Consumption | Page 5 | FerrariChat

812 Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by racerdj, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    No my car did not need oil to be added in between services, the indicator was always at the top of the mark. I have never tracked my car, I would think if I had then some oil consumption would defiantly be possible, at times I do drive the car hard but in town of course that is not possible, I hope this helps clarify your question.

2. mgmoore

mgmoore Rookie

Jul 16, 2010
    SoCal
    I drive my 812 about 2500 miles per year; have owned it about 18 months. Looks like a consistent consumption of about 1 quart every 300 miles based upon how I drive the car. Owner's Manual indicates that this is normal. Also, it should be noted that there is no "Low Oil Level" warning on the 812. There is a "Low Oil Pressure" warning which obviously should not be your reminder to add oil.

Bundy, Thecadster and SeattleStew like this.
  3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I’ve driven just beyond 8,000 miles since august and have consumed ~12 quarts. Though I have no idea where it was on the dipstick when I took delivery. I generally add a quart every ~750 miles. That keeps it right about mid stick

4. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I’ve driven just beyond 8,000 miles and have consumed ~12 quarts. Though I have no idea where it was on the dipstick when I took delivery. I generally add a quart every ~750 miles.

5. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I was told to make sure I don’t fill above the minimum line on the dipstick by my service tech. Too much oil is just as bad an issue as too little. He said they do that because of concern that foam may give you a misread . It would make sense to shoot for middle of the dipstick but this is what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Any oil I have added above the MIN mark seems to disappear rapidly. I think it just gets sucked into the upper hoses and into the air intake. My guess is that the stick should be remarked with the MAX level at what is now the MIN level. A new MIN level should be put on the stick a few inches below what is now the MIN mark.

I am keeping the oil level below the MIN mark and monitoring it from there. I will know in a few weeks what is likely to be the true oil consumption. The engine will not care if runs on 13 instead of 14qts.

AEHaas

7. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I agree with you .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I just went to my car after viewing the parts diagram. The oil stick MIN mark is actually a little bit above one of the vapor lines. Oil over this mark just pours and is sucked into it. The very bottom of the stick should be the real MIN mark and the line on the stick marked as the MIN line now should be the MAX line. Completely ignore the stick's MAX mark.

AEHaas

Attached Files:

italiafan, junc and mgmoore like this.
  9. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Hi everyone, I decided to check the oil as I have had the car since March and put about 3000km. I went through the procedure and the dipstick has not even a drop of oil. So I added 1quart and still nothing,. added another quart and started to see a smear at the bottom of the stick. Always going through the procedure I added a third quart. Now I have a smear about 1 quarter up from the bottom of the stick. My question is, are you guys getting a smear on the stick or a clear marker of oil on the dipstick like it was dipped into a solid pool of oil. I am not sure if I should be adding with a smear or looking for a nice clear line of oil. I am about 1 1/2 hrs from my dealer and not convenient to get out there. Thanks!

10. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    First of all make sure the car is cold and the engine hasn't been running for a while and parked on a very level surface. Take the dipstick out and clean with an oil rag. Then re-insert the dipstick and leave for a few seconds before taking it out. At this point there should be a clear line of oil(not a smear) on the dip-stick which is the true marker.
    This reminds me that I'll go straight out to check my recently acquired 812SF and I'll report back in a while.

RamsHmb likes this.
  11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Update. The oil level has not changed in over 1,000 miles. It stays at exactly 1" below the minimum mark. I have remarked the stick. The original MIN mark now says MAX and the new MIN is at the bottom of the otherwise short stick.

Also, and this is very important. Make sure you check both sides of the stick after you pull it out. 'Not sure how this happens exactly but one side of the stick is always dry while the other side has the oil on it. I have checked this many times but keep forgetting to mention it.

Ali

Napoli likes this.
  12. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I've just read my 812's handbook and it says completely the opposite to my post above. Best to ignore my advice as it is very different from Ferrari's advice. I have always checked dipsticks when the engine if off and the oil has had time to settle to get an accurate reading but it seems this approach is wrong.

350MH83, SeattleStew and Dubaicity like this.
  13. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    The handbook process is a total pain the *** and even when you carefully follow it, it's not reliable. The last time I did it, the dipstick was so smeared with oil you couldn't really see what the level was at all. So you have to start the whole process again.... you would think with a car at this price point they could figure out a more elegant solution...

14. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    It doesn't make sense either way as its impossible to get an accurate reading on any dipstick while engine is running.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its really interesting how a dry sump engine functions. I posted a drawing a couple years back or so. Lots of pumps (pressure and suction) and chambers. There are several reasons why the stick would look smeared in the oil tank. The tank is designed to separate air out of the oil and keep the pressure fill ahead of the suction but also balanced. If there is excess foaming the dipstick oil level might look too smeared and hard to read.

350MH83 likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Porsche seems to have figured out how to do it well with their dry sump engines. Maybe Ferrari should ask them how to do it.

Bundy, Thecadster and KarlA69 like this.
  17. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Follow up for me. I was bone dry after doing the whole process in the manual. I added a quart and did the whole procedure again, still nothing. Then I added my second quart and just started to see some drops at the very tip of the stick. Added a third quart and started to get the smear about one quarter up from the end of the dipstick. The smear makes it very difficult to really see where I am at.
    Did you guys eventually start seeing a clear line of oil or was it always a smear? For what it’s worth, I called my dealer and he said it is very normal to add one quart every 1000km. Anyway, will the smear eventually turn into a solid line of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    posted on the pic thread. Update. Added a total of 4 qrts and just now seeing the line. I am going to do the procedure again and will post updates after

So....not sure which thread the oil, lack of, discussion was on but a reminder to my SF and GTS brethren....please check your oil! My car was in for annual service a month or so ago and has only done about 300 miles since. When I checked the oil yesterday the sick was dry....literally the whole thing. And that’s crazy because there are several inches below the low mark! I am on my third qt....adding slowly, driving, cooling and checking again but based on other posters I could see this being 5 plus. Obviously no dripping so a real head scratcher. Hope everyone is on top of this. Safe driving!

Napoli likes this.
  19. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Ok....update and correction. The car was in getting clear and ceramic NOT a tune up. I got the car last August so this will be its first service. I have 3k miles and the car took 4 qtrs. It’s still below min but not much and I don’t haVe any warnings. I am getting the same reading if I check cold or go through the whole crazy process. I have had an engine management light come on and off for a couple of weeks so heading in for that check and annual service. Will chat w the techs when it’s in

20. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    This procedure to check the oil is not easy and at the end Im still not sure what the level is at times. Ive seen smears for the most part and Ive been told its normal with all the frothing. Interesting your dealer says 1000km because person Ive spoken with says 1000 miles. So I guess its 620-1k miles in that region to add about a quart. Im terrified about overfilling due to the uncertainty.

Bundy, Napoli and Thecadster like this.
  21. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    The procedure is mental....hold t 4K rpm, then idle and check between the 2 and 3rd minute. And that’s the end not to mention ac, etc. with that said, I did get a pretty clear mark on the stick and the oil was a little bubbly lower down. But I am with you Jun...very nervous about Overfilling

Napoli, junc and Thecadster like this.
  22. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The check procedure really isn’t that bad. As someone who drives their 812 A LOT, I check it frequently. I’m 1 full year into ownership tomorrow and I’m sitting just shy of 16,000 miles.

Mine is consuming a quart every 1000-1500 miles it seems. Probably depends a bit on how hard it’s being driven.

junc, Thecadster and ForeverCar like this.
  23. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My experience on my 812 is simply a liter of oil per thousand miles. It says that in the manual and is apparently normal. Beware the increasing ticking sound in your engine. It means you’re running dry and no, there will be
    no warning light. So if you got your 812 new and have 5000 miles on the clock and have never filled up the oil, your car likely needs a stiff drink.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy, Thecadster and Napoli like this.
  24. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    So having danced around in underwear on full moon while virgins scatter freshly cut rare flowers at the feet of their parents they are about to sacrifice (probably more simple than oil check process in manual) and after about 1000 miles including some adventures to 8500 RPM on Scottish roads this is the result:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looks like it has used nothing. Checked and dipped twice on exactly 2 minutes after the 4000 RPM hold etc.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    So I now have 4 litres of Shell 10W/60 Advanced just taking up space on the shelf haha