812 or 720S ? | FerrariChat

812 or 720S ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Pinarello, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Now that both cars are presented at Geneva would you consider either?, both?, none?, one over the other?

Both look quite incredible I have never owned a McLaren but had a chance to experience a 675LT and was quite impressive, 812 seems to add to F12 already impressive attributes

Comments?

2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    812 will be staring at the rear of the 720 for sure, but 812 every time for the panache !

3. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just can't find anything about the 720 I like in pics. I really need to see this car in person. For me not even a contest. 812

4. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    They aren't really competitors. Two different cars in terms of weight and purpose. McLaren is selling against the 488, the Ford GT, the Huracan.

A 3,900 pound 12 cylinder naturally aspirated engine versus a turbo charged, 3,200 pound 8 cylinder vehicle. Both have different purposes while both being exotics.

Again, the 488 is the measuring stick against the 720. People on here often compare and argue about 488 or 458 versus F12, but I believe it's clear they are different beasts. You sorta grab the F12 to crush rocks, and the 488 to carve them.

5. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Stunning 720.

7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Apples to oranges.

Then again, as to which "wins" in Geneva, it has to be the 720 for me. It created more interest in me yesterday than the 812. But then again I already knew about the 812, and then again the 812 is not a totally new car. And that is why the comparison is nonsense. Apples to oranges.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree- for me its also just two cars that are two different. As a Ferrarista I will pick the 812 because that car is of more interest to me. But I can't really say which is objectively better.

I will say based on the pictures there are styling elements on both that I don't love. I still can't get over the 812 rear and I don't understand what it is about McLaren but they just can't seem to design a front end that I like. But its almost the opposite on the rear ends.

I've been enjoying cars long enough to know not to make a final judgement based on pictures alone.

9. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    The 720 is a clear shot across the bow that the terms of the performance debate are changing. For now, I still think Ferrari wins my loyalty. But even with the heritage, Ferrari is going to need to carefully address the challenge in the next generation. One way to look at it is V12 GT vs. 8 cylinder track beast, that is true. But its "supercar" and "hypercar" thinking that seems to be in the ascendancy now. Around the track, the V12 is challenged by flat 6's, ecoboosts, V8s and hybrids. Will be fascinating to see how Ferrari ups its game in the next decade.

10. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    More relevant is 720 vs 488?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Medvezh

Medvezh Rookie

Nov 26, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Full Name:
    Daniel Veindl
    I haven't seen any of them in person and haven't seen them driving. So let's talk about the design. 720 looks good and different, almost like a vehicle from future decades. BUT, it would have much stronger impact if there was no P1. Which was really something and the floating curves were innovative. This looks like P1's evolution without all it's aggresive and angry look. What I really enjoy are the headlamps.
    The 812 seems very very nice, even 'overdone' in some parts. The rear looks trashed into fragment and the eyes can't catch on any focus points. I clap my hands to the front and side design. When F12b had to grow on me (or I had to grow on F12), this one caught my heart at first sight. The aerobridges by the headlamps are very original. Nice to see double taillights again. I missed them for years. When talking only about appearance, I'd like to have 812 more. No spice in the McLaren. Just my two cents.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    None. However, the 720 is the ugliest modern vehicle made even for a McLaren. My opinion, of course. Hard to believe they produced the F1 when you look at the 720.

13. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    I'm not too fond of either but in pure looks the 812 is like the 2nd coming of the 250swb in terms of beauty compared to the Mclaren.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #14 TheMayor, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    720s = Hot Wheels car. It needs to be sold in a blister card.

Oh... that face only a mother could love.

What is seen cannot be unseen.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think the 812 is stunning. I saw it at a preview showing and combining my love for Ferrari, with the V12 front layout (the most iconic and historic from Ferrari) plus the fact that I love the way it looks in real life - better than any picture I have seen so far, it's an easy purchase decision for me.

That said, the 720, which is an imperfect design without any question, and has many issues, is easy to conclude as being a great design. It is interesting, modern, innovative and a significant step on from the 12C and especially the awful 650.

I have a 488 on order and wouldn't dream of swapping that for a 720, but that;s not to say I don't think the 720 will be a totally worthy car, because it will.

720 interior is a bit of an issue for me, but given we are comparing incomparable cars (layout is too different for that), I think both companies have done a good job. I tend to favour Ferrari so my choice would be the 812 but trying to keep prejudice out of it, when you look at the pluses and minuses of both - innovation McLaren, powertrain Ferrari, style a tie (Ferrari for me but the general views seem to be split) with both cars having waiting lists, there's not much to choose between them.

Typical of the car industry - everything changes, but nothing changes.

16. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What's with the Fiat Barchetta headlights ? horrible.

17. levelcap

levelcap Rookie

Jan 7, 2016
    the only mclaren that i liked is the P1 which is because of it's sexy ass

imo go for the 812 which is what i will do because i hold off on buying a 458 ^^

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree.

I would get no joy whatsoever walking down to the garage and seeing a 720S there. To my eyes one of the ugliest supercars launched in quite some time. Functional is fine, functional ugly isn't and to my eyes that's exactly what this car is.

The 812 doesn't appear to be supermodel like either but unlike the 720s its appears less reliant on being parts of other cars.

The 720 looks to me
    1: front: a fish gasping for air
    2: the side a blatant copy of the McLaren F1
    3: The back something between a 570 and a 675 LT and not nearly as nice looking as either of those cars.

In case you haven't guessed I don't like the styling of the 720 at all nor its utter gimmick instrument cluster.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree on the silly fold down instrument cluster. A "Japanese" gimmick that flies in the face of McLaren's creedo to remove every gram from the car.

20. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Thought the same. How many times do I need to stare at such a gadget? It must be eventually a tiring thing. So far I have not seen anything special about 720S- but performance or "ricer" boys would be happy I think.

21. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    As a 650S owner (which I really do like) I have no intention of updating to the 720S. The design is far to "busy" and gives me a headache when looking at the car i.e. just too much going on.

Ergonomically though I have to say Mac are WAY ahead of Ferrari. All the controls are extremely well placed, the materials are of exceptional quality and the IRIS and instrument clusters are very simple to use. Ferrari's TFT screens are useless when it comes to GPS maps etc. and the menu system is a joke.

Anyway - competition is good for all manufacturers and this is why we have progress

22. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    Seriously some of the comments here are totally biased towards Ferrari, I agree that the 812 is the better car and retains the classic Ferrari looks however even after seeing both in person one did notice how much effort Mclaren has put into the 720s and the innovation behind the 720s is simply astonishing.
    I will still consider the 812 as I am inlove with Ferrari, the question is how long can Ferrari remain building evolutionary cars in the face of competitors like Mclaren?

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What do you think of Ferrari's driving mode control "Manettino" vs the McLaren 2 (or is it 3) dials? I think both are valid philosophies. But I find Ferrari's one dial with the bumpy road button are a great way to switch driving modes. I think its very well sorted.

24. scrappy1972

scrappy1972 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    I think they would complement each other nicely in a garage. Add a Huracan Performante and a GT3 RS and I think one would have a nice, diverse collection ;)

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Who gives a hoot about aerodynamic innovation? What good does it do you? Seriously this car looks like it came out a 80's Japanese graphic novel.