812 P-zero stock tyres | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 P-zero stock tyres

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Dr_DRE, Dec 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I ran the PZs for about 7k miles on my 812 and really did not like them. As others mentioned the warm up times were awful, and never really warmed up, as well as the grip just didn't inspire confidence on the roads. Swapping to the Michelin tires, and that all goes out the window. I've put around 5-6k miles on the MP4s tires and another 5-6k miles on continental DWS06s, and the MP4s are the preferred for handling. I run the Conti's during the winter time as I felt like they performed slightly better in the cold/wet than the MP4s.

My MP4s tires go on today during annual maintenance. Starting off this season at about 19.5k miles on the 812.

Caeruleus11, Flea7, R J and 1 other person like this.
  2. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Glad you are enjoying some proper miles in your 812. I am only at 5,300 after 3 years. Need to do better.

430jm and SeattleStew like this.
  3. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Tracked 812 on the new Michelins yesterday.Performance was excellent as far as my ability could discern.
    Certainly did not feel I wanted Pirellis back for track use.
    Michelins not looking quite so new now !!!

Caeruleus11 and R J like this.
  4. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    So what did you end up doing?
    Hope you kept car and tried the Michelin PS4S tyres.

5. K_Duke

K_Duke Rookie

Nov 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos Doukas
    Great discussion and comments, thank you all.
    I'm getting my new 812GTS delivered next week in Amsterdam and want to drive it to Zurich. The weather forecast shows rain and possibility of snow, and temperatures around 0-3C.Do you think I can do those 1k km with the factory PZero or I must definitely switch to the MP4S ? Is the MP4S the best solution for a car that will be mostly driven in the summer but also a little in the winter or should I switch now for a Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 or the Pirelli Sottozero and make the trip super safe? ... and after think about the summer tyres.

6. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan

You definitely CAN, if you stay under 4K rpm and cruise around all the time. Properly enjoying the car is another story, even though the electronics do immense work in trying to keep everything under control.

7. LondonParis

LondonParis Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2020
    Houston/London/Paris
    Full Name:
    Bill Coates
    I would be careful. If dry you will be ok, wet handling and braking distances will be increased if it rains, and if it snows you will have to pull over and not drive the car. Under no circumstance should you drive an 812 in the snow or slush on summer tires (and it doesn’t matter, the PS4S is just as useless as PZero in those conditions).

You also need to check your route. France and Germany will have winter tire requirements in the conditions you forecast so driving on summer tires could get you a fine or the vehicle impounded depending on the circumstance.

I live in France and drive my ferrari year round, including in the alps to the ski resorts.

I think your best is Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (you will need the directional ones). The Sottozero’s are also suitable if they are available in the required size. I have personally used both on my 612 and she is wearing some Sottozero’s at the moment.

And, of course, congrats on the beautiful car.

Bill

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would be using proper winter tires on whatever you get. There are a few great winter performance tire alternatives. The two that come to mind are Pirelli Sotto Zero and Michelin Pilot Alpin. With any new car, dont push it too hard since you need to learn the car. And Id probably not go above sport mode until you are comfortable. The tires are the critical thing here.

9. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I’ve used the Sotto Zeros for 3 winters now on my 812SF and the GTS- safe predictable and fun in cold weather without the traction issues. Save the summer performance tires for exactly that- summer(and spring and fall)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If you plan to enjoy the 812 through the winter, go with pilot alpins or the sotto zero. I ran pilot alpins on my GT350 through the winter and really liked those tires. I have a 2nd set of wheels so I have my summers on one set and all seasons on the other.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Dr_DRE

Dr_DRE Rookie

Oct 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    dre2159
    No, I sold the car last March 22 because of the handling - the looked and sounded beautiful but at low temperatures, it wanted to kill me, I think!

12. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I have sotto zeros on my M5 recommend them

13. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Shame. It is a revelation on the MPS4S. Totally different car dynamically.

14. K_Duke

K_Duke Rookie

Nov 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos Doukas
    Thank you all!... Its clear I have to change tyres before the trip. I would try to find any of the 2 choices discussed Michelin Pilot Alpin or P Sottozero and put them on. What size should I get, ... because I think I can NOT get, on these tyres, the factory size of 275 35R 30 front and 315 35R 30 rear. ?

15. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Why dont you go with the Ferrari recommended sizes for Winters? 255 and 305.

17. K_Duke

K_Duke Rookie

Nov 21, 2022
    Full Name:
    Konstantinos Doukas
    Because of time pressure I'm installing what I found which is the Continental TS 870 on the original size of 275 front and 315 rear. I read quite a few reviews and tests , ant it seems they are quite good tyres.

18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    That was the whole point of the car! ;-)

19. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    i didn't notice anyone commenting on the sport cup 2's, opinions on that tire?

20. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Cup 2s are good tires as long as you don't encounter rain too often. Haven't run them on my 812, the MP4S have been great for me in warm conditions, even when it's a little wet. I have had Cup 2s on other cars, and I have felt like the MP4S are just better overall for the street. But I also drive my cars in all but snow conditions.

XselR8 likes this.
  21. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Cup 2s are just as bad on the street when cold (had them on my GT3 RS). Wonderful on track when warm though, but ain't all that and a bag of chips on the street & cold.

22. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    My biggest gripe with the OEM Pzero, takes a while to warm them up and if they aren’t, they slide but worse…..the ******** violent hop in the rear. It’s bone jarring.
    For you guys with the Michelin, is that hop still evident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    What pressure cold are people running for MP4S on 812 just out of interest? Same as P Zero (31 rear, 33 front?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. LMP

LMP Karting

Aug 11, 2022
    Florida
    31F 28R

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name: