812 production delays? | FerrariChat

812 production delays?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by clockem, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone heard about any production delays of the 812? My dealer in the US has placed several customer orders back in October and none have moved to Red 10.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I think we have the same dealer . I’m one of those orders. They told me that there have been delays including no January allocations in the US. Interested in hearing from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Delays are supposedly due to the carbon parts is what I've been told.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Bibendum

Bibendum Rookie

Apr 30, 2007
    There was guidance as to which parts to avoid when ordering to avoid delays. Unclear that would result in zero allocations, if that is the case.

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Curious if you know what those parts are?

6. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I have no clue. I went banans and got them all!

JagShergill likes this.
  7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    My 812 has lots of carbon and was delivered just before Christmas. I was told not ordering the passenger delay could delay your car, so I added it to my options and the car went red 10 and into production the following week. It could have been a coincidence who knows?

8. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Maybe this comment could help.
    I think the reason is not about specific parts that you have ordered.
    I have noticed several orders and cars already builded that have showed a slow process in terms of enter/exit from the Ferrari/dealers factory/system. This process could be slower or faster depending the market that you are and also the priority of your order in your region according to your dealer.

To understand better, for example the US market have a very high demand and orders are entering one by one depending how factory (and then FNA) is giving the slots to each dealer.
    Another example and a different case, my 812 is already finished almost 1 month ago and is still near the factory stored waiting for its delivery. For my market this would be the first 812 so probably it is taking more time to line up some internal things between Factory, region and dealer.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    I configured my car at the factory atelier in Feb. during the 812 preview event and placed my order in May once the "production systems" opened, the first official 812 order at the dealer. Even the My Ferrari site confirms my order as placed in May.

Cars that were ordered 2 and 3 months after my car were delivered around Christmas and my car isn't even built yet! My car has nothing that is out of the ordinary apart from the Extra Campionario (triple-layer) paint. I've seen several triple-layer 812s already delivered around the world on the 812 photos thread so that shouldn't be an excuse for the delay.

Over and above that, the dealer's kept quite and has never given me any updates. I only found out the status of my car after contacting Ferrari's regional office.

Unfortunately Ferrari has a horrible production system with zero sense of first-in first-out processing of orders. Having an incompetent dealer with poor communication skills doesn't help.

F2003-GA, j09333 and of2worlds like this.
  10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sorry to hear that. Some 812 is at staus red 10 despite when the order was placed. So far 5 order was in and only 1 car made above 10 at this moment for my region too.
    Lets hope your car pops up the stage way faster than usual eventually which is always the case of Ferrari system until now.

11. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Congrats on the car. Looks superb.

Quick question: do you have any idea why the lack of passenger display would delay the car (assuming that the source of the delay was the factory not a dealer tactic)? I've ordered one without the display, and am curious.

Enjoy in good health!

12. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    Thanks. I wonder whether they're working on improving their production systems. Marchionne just announced record profits, higher volume targets, and 550 million euros in capex. Let's hope that investment means shorter and better production times and improved quality.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I think there's a shortage in the panels that take the place of the screen. Crazy, I know. Unless they are just scamming us...

14. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Don’t think it’s the shortage of the panels as my car has been ordered with the passager display and is still not red 10 since being ordered in October.

15. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Hmmm ... they can’t seem to produce enough of the $1.98 blank plates but do have plenty of the $5k passenger displays ... very peculiar :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LARRYH, deltona and klinkman like this.
  16. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    Unfortunately I doubt very much the build priority is determined by when the orders went into the MODIS system. My understanding of how it works is that when the Dealer is informed of their actual build allocation in terms of monthly build slots 6 or so months in advance, the dealer then nominates which customer order receives the specific monthly build allocation, then notifies the customer they need to firm up their order (if not subject to a future atelier or TM visit) as the car will be built in the coming months before it is finally locked. This is also the process for Porsche dealers for their GT3 etc cars.

F2003-GA and LARRYH like this.
  17. bradb1us

bradb1us Karting

Jun 19, 2009
    Utah
    My dealer has told me mine is delayed as well (Utah Ferrari dealer).

18. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Would be interested to know what is the reason for the delay? Could just be reallocation of cars to different parts of the world?

19. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Latest Ive heard was delay is due to supplier issues which some have mentioned. Nothing specific beyond that. Salesman did say that all 812s delivered from here on out will be MY 19. That might be a bad thing if its an indication of how delayed production will be or could just be Ferrari randomly deciding to go with later model year.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I think this means most of the production now is made August+ 2018, which is 2019 MY

21. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    It’s actually laughable. Ferrari are super lucky they are not running Samsung or Apple, its so amateurish. Part of the “charm” I guess.

22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    As a public company, if ALL 812's are delayed until delivery in the third quarter you would think they would disclose that to shareholders as a material event.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yeah not so sure. I received my 488 gtb in late June of 2016 and it was MY 17 so there might be some flexibility with the designation. Hopefully the cars arrive prior to third quarter.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    Can't be supplier issues. Several other 812s ordered after mine have already been delivered, and there's nothing unique in terms of parts on my car compared to those delivered that would cause a delay. Just horrible production planning. They should learn a thing or 2 from the Germans.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Such as emissions scandals and bribery?

F2003-GA, RyanFoH, LARRYH and 3 others like this.